AMD officially launches Ryzen processors

Just now, adrynalyne said:

The negative news is helping offset the fan-fest in this thread. I want to see the good and bad personally. 

Nothing against bad news as long as they aren't fake. Xendrome's comments and the fact that he might blatantly lie about AMD however..

I do agree that there are some stupid statements regarding the competition from the pro side, no pure negativity though.

Meh.  I didn't expect them to be able to launch a new architecture 100% perfectly but the overall platform looks great.

I build tomorrow, but my case won't be here til Saturday apparently which is annoying.

2 hours ago, Luc2k said:

It sure seems to bother you enough to only post negative news and even outright lie.

You make it sound like AMD is the only one that has these kinds of issues. While Intel has been iterating for quite a while and it is rarer to find bugs, they haven't been without fault (e.g. the USB 3 bug). For Nvidia, it has been worse these past two years, as far as drivers are concerned, as there were several instances where GPUs were killed. Yet somehow, people only remember AMD's issues.

When I'm ready to make a purchase, I will decide then if the platform satisfies my needs of performance and stability. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem they have right now is motherboard availability.

I think it is just a misunderstanding. I absolutely agree, AMD is not the only one to have bugs; however my point is over the last 10 years they have always had supposed "stellar performance," which is spun from their PR team. It usually never pans out; look at their high-end GPUs over the last few years. They continue to get beat by nVidias last generation and the follow up by AMD is always "let our drivers mature," or "coming next update." We saw some of the same non-sense with the FX resurrection, which was an embarrassment to the original FX series that kicked some serious butt, circa 2003.

Intel had had, still do to be honest, serious bugs with Skylake. They continue to say "fixes incoming." Believe it or not, I am not bias between the two companies. I'd love to run a great gaming rig with and AMD chip. I have very fond memories of running their chips and having a blast overclocking them many moons ago; I am just hesitant.

19 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Intel had had, still do to be honest, serious bugs with Skylake. They continue to say "fixes incoming." Believe it or not, I am not bias between the two companies. I'd love to run a great gaming rig with and AMD chip. I have very fond memories of running their chips and having a blast overclocking them many moons ago; I am just hesitant.

What issues are there with skylake?

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, LaP said:

From what i can recall Bulldozer was crappy day one. Might be wrong i was not looking to update my work computer back then so did not really inform myself about it much.

Ryzen is actually a very good workstation cpu. I think it's strange that on a website like Neowin some people seem to ignore what is a workstation and why someone would be willing to build one. Very strange and unexpected to be honest.

Not really, why waste time with all that when you can throw a benchmark that not many others care about into the mix.

I rock out with an fx6350 and have no problems gaming on ultra/extreme settings with my gtx760 on a rig built primarily as a workstation on a gaming board (tried to build a pc that can satisfy both needs, was not disappointed)

2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I think it is just a misunderstanding. I absolutely agree, AMD is not the only one to have bugs; however my point is over the last 10 years they have always had supposed "stellar performance," which is spun from their PR team. It usually never pans out; look at their high-end GPUs over the last few years. They continue to get beat by nVidias last generation and the follow up by AMD is always "let our drivers mature," or "coming next update." We saw some of the same non-sense with the FX resurrection, which was an embarrassment to the original FX series that kicked some serious butt, circa 2003.

I'll agree with you that their CPUs since Phenom have been one disappointment after another, but I majorly disagree with you on the GPUs.  The 290 has been fantastic and has only gotten continually better over the two or so years I've had it.  I'll allow that they haven't really released much better than that, but it's still worth mentioning especially when it still competes pretty well with a 1070 iirc.  (I don't know, but it certainly lasted a hell of a lot longer than anything in the 900 series.)

I'm firmly in the AMD camp when it comes to vidcards and I doubt whatever asshattery (see physx, gameworks, gsync) NV decides to do next will change my opinion there.  (Worth mentioning NVs excessive driver bombs since win10 was released...heh.)

11 hours ago, Luc2k said:

It sure seems to bother you enough to only post negative news and even outright lie.

What exactly did I "outright lie" about?

The problem here is people like you that will only post positive propaganda and try to suppress anything negative about their beloved product. So by myself and others posting various articles about the negatives or truths of the product it hurts your feeling and you get personal by calling me a liar...

11 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I think I can officially say suck it, Windows 7 users...you get nothing.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/matthew-wilson/microsoft-locks-ryzen-and-kaby-lake-users-out-of-updates-on-windows-7-and-8-1/

I don't know that they won't backpedal but that's weird.

AMD isn't releasing chipset drivers for Windows 7, so why should Microsoft support it? And then they don't prevent the OS from running, it just won't receive updates - they would need to test these updates on these new processors and just don't want to put the additional investment into a legacy OS.

It's impressive Microsoft is still releasing updates for a 7 year old OS, and that they've kept adding support for new processors until this year.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I think I can officially say suck it, Windows 7 users...you get nothing.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/matthew-wilson/microsoft-locks-ryzen-and-kaby-lake-users-out-of-updates-on-windows-7-and-8-1/

I don't know that they won't backpedal but that's weird.

I don't see a problem.

You can still install Windows 10 and activate it with Windows 7/8.1 product key.

There's no need to purchase a new copy of Windows.

If you have software that's incompatible with Windows 10, Intel and AMD still sell plenty of processors that are supported by Windows 7/8.1. You can also run those applications on a virtual machine.

4 minutes ago, hagjohn said:

They are not releasing 7 drivers for Ryzen. They are still releasing video drivers for 7.

...I figured you might actually look for the chipset drivers for Ryzen, which have a Windows 7 (64-bit) option.

17 minutes ago, LostCat said:

...I figured you might actually look for the chipset drivers for Ryzen, which have a Windows 7 (64-bit) option.

Of cause it's going to support Windows 7 (64-bit) since AMD A-Series and AMD E-Series support Windows 7 (64-bit)

AMD Chipset Drivers

Description:

Supports Windows 10/8.1/7 (64-bit)

Package Includes:

AMD Chipset Drivers
                           AMD AHCI Driver
                           AMD USB 3.0 Driver
                           AMD SB9xx RAID Drivers for Windows 7
                           AMD A-Series APU Chipset RAID Drivers
                           AMD E-Series APU Chipset RAID Drivers

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Of cause it's going to support Windows 7 (64-bit) since AMD A-Series and AMD E-Series support Windows 7 (64-bit)

So you're saying the chipset drivers they offer specificially when you pick the AM4/Ryzen architecture are for A and E series processors?  Last I checked, none of those are AM4 or Ryzen.

3 minutes ago, LostCat said:

So you're saying the chipset drivers they offer specificially when you pick the AM4/Ryzen architecture are for A and E series processors?  Last I checked, none of those are AM4 or Ryzen.

Do you want to check again?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10705/amd-7th-gen-bristol-ridge-and-am4-analysis-a12-9800-b350-a320-chipset

28 minutes ago, hagjohn said:

They are not releasing 7 drivers for Ryzen. They are still releasing video drivers for 7.

They didn't say that at all. They said they are unsupported.  If they don't work then too bad so sad. Same reason MS won't be pushing the drivers in Windows 7 either. If the OEM won't stand behind them, MS isn't  going to bother certifying them. 

16 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Would you like to play a game?

Here's a screenshot from my third check.  Try not to poke your eye out with it.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai9dAKNW5105nbIf18Lwr4LlYtqr_A

(As to Bristol Ridge it has not been released yet, therefore it doesn't exist.)

11 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Would you like to play a game?

Here's a screenshot from my third check.  Try not to poke your eye out with it.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai9dAKNW5105nbIf18Lwr4LlYtqr_A

Bristol Ridge was released last year.

As I said, these A-Series processors use the AM4 socket and same chipset as do Ryzen.

AMD just write the driver package once and it applies for the the A-Series processors as well as Ryzen processors.

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Bristol Ridge was released last year.

As I said, these A-Series processors use the AM4 socket and same chipset as do Ryzen.

AMD just write the driver package once and it applies for the the A-Series processors as well as Ryzen processors.

Ahh, I didn't even know it was out.  Sorry :)  I don't follow OEM only kit.

Waiting for this fedex guy might kill me. ;)  I ran out of stuff to benchmark and am just downloading Andromeda now.

I'm sure with MS dropping support for all of them AMD will stop supporting chipset drivers for 7 on either also, soon enough.

Btw,

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5ybrxn/ryzen_7_is_actually_behaving_like_a_dual_4c8t/

But then AMD says this:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

Is it just me or something doesn't compute (no pun intended) here? How is Windows 10 scheduler behaving fine if it randomly assigns threads between "CPU Complexes"? How are developers supposed to optimize for that? Some technical details are missing here.

• Like 1