Windows 10 wont update on Surface 3.

So I have been dealing with this for awhile. I have a surface 3 that wont update.

It's currently on Version 1511 OS Build 10586.713

If I go into settings, and click update. It says "Checking for updates"

I tried the media creation tool, it failed. No errors shown, just "installation failed"

Tried the Windows 10 upgrade/update assistant, also failed.

Any ideas?

24 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Run a full chkdsk /f, then "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" and then Disk Cleanup, make sure you have sufficient free storage space also.

Thanks, that's all done, I'll try it again.

Actually, too soon, it's still going.

Well, from bad to worse. 

I installed the windows 10 update assistant.  Failed.  

I used the windows media creation tool, failed.  

I changed to boot into my bootable windows 10 USB. Failed and ######ed.  

Bitlocker was apparently on.  I don't remember doing it, I don't remember the key.  I can't boot to the USB, if I select "reset this pc and remove everything" it says there was a problem and can't do it. 

No it's an endless boot into "but recovery" and asks for a key that I don't have". Click "skip" and it boots back to that screen.  

What can I do?

4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Well bitlocker didn't turn its self on. No idea where the keyfile or password is to decrypt it?

think if you use bitlocker with microsoft account this should get you a recovery key https://onedrive.live.com/

through onedrive online I think so anyway :D don't shoot the messenger :p

31 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Well bitlocker didn't turn its self on. No idea where the keyfile or password is to decrypt it?

Nope.  Nothing.  I can't remember setting up it but I set this surface up awhile ago. So it's possible. 

I dont care about losing the data. I just to start fresh 

27 minutes ago, Cnónna said:

think if you use bitlocker with microsoft account this should get you a recovery key https://onedrive.live.com/

through onedrive online I think so anyway :D

I saw that online but I don't see anything on there called bit locker.  I also used it mainly as a local account 

edit:signed into desktop for one drive and it showed my key.  

Now how can I fresh install? 

Edited by Dane

On 2/27/2017 at 7:17 AM, Dane said:

Nope.  Nothing.  I can't remember setting up it but I set this surface up awhile ago. So it's possible. 

I dont care about losing the data. I just to start fresh 

I saw that online but I don't see anything on there called bit locker.  I also used it mainly as a local account 

edit:signed into desktop for one drive and it showed my key.  

Now how can I fresh install? 

Can try downloading a recovery image from MS.  I had to do so for and Sp4.  Only way I could get Win10 working again.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage