Recommend a phone for a teenager

My daughter currently is using a Blu R1 HD phone from Amazon (with the ads displaying on the lock screen) however, she is complaining that the battery life is poor and it cannot be replaced. So I'm tasked in finding a replacement for her. She doesn't do the normal teen stuff on the phone, just minimal talk/text, but it has to be a smartphone. Ideally I would like to spend under $100 for a new phone. My wife found an honor 5X from Huawei, and of course because it has good ratings on Amazon, she thinks it is a good phone, it's also $170 which is more than I would like to spend. So if I can get some recommendations on brand/model/etc. that would be great!

You should look at Xiaomi Redmi 4a, its sub 100$ phone with better specs.

Thanks, however I am not finding this phone on Amazon and on eBay I found one selling for $105, but it appears to be either sold out or otherwise not available ( not 100% certain, I'm looking via mobile, I'll check later from the desktop),if you have any other suggestions, or know where I might get my hands on it please le5the me know!

Here you go, a list of the phones for $100 or under: 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_36_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A2335752011%2Cn%3A7072561011%2Cn%3A2407749011%2Ck%3Aphones%2Cp_36%3A14674873011&keywords=phones&ie=UTF8&qid=1488248198&rnid=14674871011

Pick a device brand on the left side such as Apple, HTC, or whatever you want and set other options to narrow down the results.

Good luck.   :) 

9 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Here you go, a list of the phones for $100 or under: 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_36_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A2335752011%2Cn%3A7072561011%2Cn%3A2407749011%2Ck%3Aphones%2Cp_36%3A14674873011&keywords=phones&ie=UTF8&qid=1488248198&rnid=14674871011

Pick a device brand on the left side such as Apple, HTC, or whatever you want and set other options to narrow down the results.

Good luck.   :) 

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Nexus-Unlocked-Smartphone-True-HD/dp/B00A6IHMAM/ref=sr_1_15?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1488248877&sr=1-15&keywords=phones&refinements=p_36%3A14674873011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6787346011%2Cp_89%3ALG|HTC|Samsung|Huawei

Would get that one myself.  Root it, install latest OS...gtg

Thanks, but I really have no idea what to look for, I know some brands better then others (LG, Motorola, Blu) but some I have never heard of!

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks, but I really have no idea what to look for, I know some brands better then others (LG, Motorola, Blu) but some I have never heard of!

They have the LG Nexus 4 on Amazon for around $100.  I posted a link below.  Not sure how familiar with rooting android, but the Nexus 4 has a pretty good support base on XDA so you should be able to find a ROM with the latest OS.

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

That's fine but his daughter may not know anything about rooting....  so it would be better off for her to use stock ...   Unless jax knows what to do about it.

27 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

That's fine but his daughter may not know anything about rooting....  so it would be better off for her to use stock ...   Unless jax knows what to do about it.

And I do not live with or near my daughter, and her mother would most likely not understand what I am telling her, though my daughter might.

2 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Moto G4.

Nice phone, but $150? I really don't want to spend more then $100 and even that's a stretch, for a child, even though she's 15.

8 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Nice phone, but $150? I really don't want to spend more then $100 and even that's a stretch, for a child, even though she's 15.

$100 if you find the right associate.

Edit: Noticed you said $100 is a stretch also.

16 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks, however I am not finding this phone on Amazon and on eBay I found one selling for $105, but it appears to be either sold out or otherwise not available ( not 100% certain, I'm looking via mobile, I'll check later from the desktop),if you have any other suggestions, or know where I might get my hands on it please le5the me know!

Here are some Online stores which offers Xiaomi Redmi 4A, pick whatever suits you. 

DHgate.com

Banggood.com

Gearbest.com

Nis-store.com

One more thing, Google play service is not installed by default in Mui Roms, you have to manually install the service,

Here is Help

Video Help

If she's not paying for it than none!     :yes:  

[emoji3]

Look here you bad dinosaur, she is daddy's baby girl, so she gets what she wants, within reason of course! So you can take your worthless advice somewhere else! [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

16 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Look here you bad dinosaur, she is daddy's baby girl, so she gets what she wants, within reason of course! So you can take your worthless advice somewhere else! emoji1.pngemoji1.pngemoji1.pngemoji1.pngemoji1.png

Just flip the bird at him...   :p   

• Like 2

How about the LG G3 off eBay? Removable Battery SD card ... and can snag it for $100 - $118 used.

I'll look into that one, I found an LG K7 at Walmart for $59 and its on Walmart Family Mobile, which is the carrier that my daughter and wife are on. Is that a decent phone?

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I'll look into that one, I found an LG K7 at Walmart for $59 and its on Walmart Family Mobile, which is the carrier that my daughter and wife are on. Is that a decent phone?

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6294&idPhone2=7848

This compares the specs of LG K7 and the G3 (The $100 - $118 version of eBay was the 32GB 3GB of ram)

8 hours ago, warwagon said:

How about the LG G3 off eBay? Removable Battery SD card ... and can snag it for $100 - $118 used.

The G3 is an excellent phone. It's a steal at under $125.

19 hours ago, warwagon said:

+1 on the g3

Also swappa.com is a good one for used phones!

• Like 1

+1 on a Lg G3, try and bag the 32Gb model, it comes with 3gb sys ram, my contract was up last month and i love my G3 that much (end of 24month contract) as a device, i went sim only deal and kept my 32gb G3. thats the first time ever Ive done that since Sony analogue mobiles.

That imo says a lot about the model.

my other half has the K8 (a rebadged K350 iirc) and its a decent enough budget phone, but not a patch on old faithful.

• Like 1