Rethinking Phone Plan.

I am currently with Virgin Mobile. $35/mo, unlimited talk/text, 2GB Data. I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII. I am looking for a different phone. As this thing is "falling apart". I just want something newer.

But recently, I've been thinking, I 99% of the time don't use my phone for talking. I use it more for texting and browsing on Chrome.

So, should I go and get a tablet data plan instead of a full-fledged phone plan? I figured, If I ever need to make a call, I can use VOIP.

For data plans, the best deal I can find is from US Cellular. I see they have iPad Mini 2's for a good price, at leasing it for $10 a month, plus $5 for lowest data plan, iirc.

I currently have a Lenovo tablet, but it is not for cellular wi-fi.

You have the process down correctly, you would use the tablet sim in your phone. This can be done, I have read some blogs pertaining to the same idea and some even included updates after a year of using a data only service. You can use an SIP service like Anveo in order to make and receive phone calls using data only and they also support SMS. Another company is voip.ms but I don't believe they support SMS.

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You have the process down correctly, you would use the tablet sim in your phone. This can be done, I have read some blogs pertaining to the same idea and some even included updates after a year of using a data only service. You can use an SIP service like Anveo in order to make and receive phone calls using data only and they also support SMS. Another company is voip.ms but I don't believe they support SMS.

How about Google Voice? I remember a few years ago there was a way to set it with SIP, and now I think Hangouts has replaced Google voice or enhanced it.

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

How about Google Voice? I remember a few years ago there was a way to set it with SIP, and now I think Hangouts has replaced Google voice or enhanced it.

Is Google voice still a thing? I thought it was no longer around, replaced by Hangouts maybe?

I also read that some chromebooks can connect to mobile wi-fi.

But if I can have just a small tablet, that would prolly be easier.

Anyone know about "phablets"? They're like a larger 5",6",7" phone.

Puretalk or Cricket (same AT&T affordable MVNO operators)

18 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You guys know anything about this one?

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/

I saw on MetroPCS, that they have SIM cards. So they just do have data plans available.

I have the Zenfone 2 laser (ZE551KL) and it is a decent phone, in fact I have 2 of them, plus one more that needs the screen fixed. I was using it on T-Mobile with no problems at all, the only issue is you will not get 4GLTE, you might get 4G, but not the LTE. But if that is not an issue for you then you might consider it!

Here is a comparison between the 551ML and 551KL

16 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have the Zenfone 2 laser (ZE551KL) and it is a decent phone, in fact I have 2 of them, plus one more that needs the screen fixed. I was using it on T-Mobile with no problems at all, the only issue is you will not get 4GLTE, you might get 4G, but not the LTE. But if that is not an issue for you then you might consider it!

Here is a comparison between the 551ML and 551KL

Looks nice. Yeah, the 4GLTE doesn't bother me. ;)

• 2 months later...

How can you get away with 2GB of data? I use that in a few days.