• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox One/Project Scorpio Mixed Reality headset

+Asmodai    637

There was an article about this on the front page but I wanted to create a thread in here in case anyone was interested in discussing it.

There's a whole lot more at the source link below but here's a small quote with the specs:

The specifications for the Acer Windows Mixed Reality Development Edition headset include:

Two high-resolution liquid crystal displays at 1440 x 1440

Display refresh rate up to 90 Hz (native)

Built-in audio out and microphone support through 3.5mm jack

Single cable with HDMI 2.0 (display) and USB 3.0 (data) for connectivity

Source

+Asmodai    637

Ok information post out of the way here's my thoughts:

The specs are better than the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift CV1 which are both dual 1080x1200@90Hz.  This isn't due out until 2018 so I suspect there will be new SteamVR and Oculus Rift headsets around the same time... I can't imagine the PC players will allow a lowly console to upstage them on hardware specs.

The specs don't indicate if the Acer uses a Pentile display like the Vive and Rift or are full RGB like the PSVR.

For comparison the PSVR actually pushes more subpixels per second than the PC boys despite being lower resolution.  PSVR is single screen 1920x1080@120Hz (though it can run at 90Hz as well) so with the higher refresh rate and more subpixels per pixel (3 RGB vs 2 RGBG Pentile) it's actually more subpixels per second.  Of course it's handicapped by being driven by the comparatively weak PS4 (when compared to a gaming PC) and the use of the PS4 Camera for motion detection (an area where HTC/Valve currently leads).

Some of the more interesting things about the MS version are the "inside out" tracking and the dual cameras for augmented reality support in addition to VR (this they call it mixed reality as opposed to simply VR).

I'm a little disappointed it won't launch alongside Project Scorpio this year (though my wallet is grateful) but if I do end up getting Project Scorpio later this year there's a good chance I'll pick this up next.

patseguin    1,307

I'm not sure how I feel about mixed reality for gaming. When I play on my Vive, I am fully encompassed in the world which makes it such an incredible experience.

+Asmodai    637
29 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I'm not sure how I feel about mixed reality for gaming. When I play on my Vive, I am fully encompassed in the world which makes it such an incredible experience.

I'm not sure what you mean... Mixed reality just means it does both AR and VR.  I suspect individual games will EITHER be AR or VR and it won't be switching back and forth within a single game (though I guess that would be possible as well).  I'm sure if you prefer VR you can just get the VR games (which will likely be cross platform with PSVR and PC) but having the option to support AR as well is a nice extra.

George P    5,363

I think MS's approach is the right one at this time, adding support for AR and VR to the platform (windows 10 and xbox) and then letting their hardware partners make the headsets.  This lets you buy a scorpio later this year, and then pick the headset you want.   I still expect the rift will work on the scorpio as well, MS has a deal going with them so I'd be shocked if it didn't work.

Hell, the next rift headset could very well use some of MS tech in it as well.   The more device makers the better at this point, so you can get a wider price range for those who want just something basic for VR, they can spend $299 and get that.  Those who want the more fancy stuff can spend more.

• Like 1

Vandalsquad    513

Have to admit I'm not that interested in VR, Microsoft hololens (AR) is much more appealing to me at the moment but even then I'm not sure if it's enough to take the plunge. With you but George, my money is on Microsoft letting developers create their headsets to be compatible on the Scorpio which is nothing but a positive for the industry and moving forwards. I still feel the tech is another 5-10 years off what we want it to actually perform like the youtube tech demos.