Quake Champions: Closed Beta Announcement Trailer

Whether you want to play as an aggressive tank or a nimble damage-dealer, you’ll find your match in the Quake Champions character roster. If sly and stealthy is more your thing, you might find yourself gravitating toward Nyx, whose active ability lets her sidestep danger and plan a careful attack.

Nyx will be part of the upcoming Quake Champions Closed Beta, which you can sign up for right now. Keep an eye out in the coming weeks for more Champion profiles, as well as map features, starting with a look at Blood Covenant coming tomorrow. 

They don't send out a confirmation email about signing up to the beta?

Anyway, it is a hero shooter - keep your expectations low. Doom 2016 multiplayer low.

You have to sign up for Bethesda's spam e-mails in order to play the beta, they can shove that where the rocket jump comes out of.

rockethump.png

If you don't click the second option the signup button isn't enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Quake Champions will be free-to-play, with an option to buy it outright

By Andy Chalk

Players will be able to "rent" individual Champions using in-game currency.

Id Software creative director Tim Willits told Polygon today that the upcoming arena shooter Quake Champions, which id and Bethesda have recently been showing off, will offer players both free-to-play and paid options. Willits said that "at its core, it's a free-to-play game," but added that there are plenty of people who know what Quake brings to the table and would rather just pay up-front and jump in. 

Access to Ranger, the lead character of the original Quake and a prominent face in Quake 3: Arena, will be free for everyone. With him, you'll earn the in-game currency called "favor" that can be used to gain access to other Champions for as-yet-undetermined periods of time. You're renting them, basically, although Willits said he didn't want to use that specific word. "You do spend favor to have access to them for a limited amount of time, yes," he explained. "But you don't spend any real money on it." 

Continues...

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/04/2017 at 8:04 PM, J. X. Maxwell said:

Any Neowinians in the private beta test?

Received my code during the week. Will be loading it up later!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I have 3 beta codes to give away if anyone is interested.

Am totally interested!

• 2 weeks later...

its ok, been playing it again this morning, very Q3/DOOM MP  

ill end up buying it cos its in the quake series.

I've been playing it for a while now. Extremely fun, especially if you are an old school Quake fan. I get frustrated quickly though because I keep running into people that inshoot over and over and they don't die but 1 hit and I'm dead.

edot ... I have 3 beta codes if anyone wants in

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

I've been playing it for a while now. Extremely fun, especially if you are an old school Quake fan. I get frustrated quickly though because I keep running into people that inshoot over and over and they don't die but 1 hit and I'm dead.

edot ... I have 3 beta codes if anyone wants in

im an old schooler from GLQuake, Q2 and Q3 but tbh while is lovely to look at, it feels a bit empty, granted ive only played an hour of it this morning, got sidetracked with Uknown players battleground today.....too much like Q3 when they shoulda done Q1 style imo.

46 minutes ago, Mando said:

im an old schooler from GLQuake, Q2 and Q3 but tbh while is lovely to look at, it feels a bit empty, granted ive only played an hour of it this morning, got sidetracked with Uknown players battleground today.....too much like Q3 when they shoulda done Q1 style imo.

Yeah Quake was great especially when GL came out. I remember how awesome it looked on my Voodoo video card and playing in the early days of online. 

You are are right though, it does feel a little empty. Not sure what it is. I wish they would have a single player campaign or something.

1 hour ago, Mando said:

I used to play Quake via LAN with friends about 20 years ago.

I like LAN based games instead of server based games.    My friend had a few computers in the living room that connected each others via LAN.  It was fun.

My friend used to be big fan of Quake but not sure about now. I have not seen him in this new game. I will consider to call him up and see how he likes the game if he has this game.  If he is there, I will consider to join and play a game or two with him...  

9 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I used to play Quake via LAN with friends about 20 years ago.

I like LAN based games instead of server based games.    My friend had a few computers in the living room that connected each others via LAN.  It was fun.

My friend used to be big fan of Quake but not sure about now. I have not seen him in this new game. I will consider to call him up and see how he likes the game if he has this game.  If he is there, I will consider to join and play a game or two with him...  

im the same but with dischord or teamspeak and playing with regular buddies its just as fun online 20yr later :)

1 hour ago, patseguin said:

Yeah Quake was great especially when GL came out. I remember how awesome it looked on my Voodoo video card and playing in the early days of online. 

You are are right though, it does feel a little empty. Not sure what it is. I wish they would have a single player campaign or something.

i thought maybe its due to it not being ID Software.....but I dunno tbh...Bethesda do a sterling job, DOOM was superb and Wolfenstein. Both Bethesda titles.....maybe gaming tastes have changed, it just seems lacking somehow.

1 minute ago, Mando said:

im the same but with dischord or teamspeak and playing with regular buddies its just as fun online 20yr later :)

I have an account with Discord.   I haven't heard of teamspeak... Going to look it up.

If you want, you can add me on Discord.

1 minute ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I have an account with Discord.   I haven't heard of teamspeak... Going to look it up.

If you want, you can add me on Discord.

will do buddy :) ive still got it open from earliers game session :) 

• 2 months later...

Quake Champions – Early Access Starts Soon

Quake Champions is about to exit its Closed Beta phase and officially enter into Early Access on Steam and the Bethesda.net launcher. Starting on August 22, the game will receive a whole host of content, including new maps, features and a special new Champion: the mighty DOOM Slayer from the DOOM series.

“With a fast, skill-based game like Quake Champions, nothing is more important than continual testing and refining based on player feedback to ensure the game is balanced, optimized, and fun for all levels of players, from pro to new,” says Tim Willits, Studio Director, id Software. “The Early Access version of Quake Champions is, obviously, a work-in-progress, but represents a solid and robust version of the game, with four modes, 11 Champions, a variety of maps, and a thriving community of fans. Early Access will allow us to work closely with players to improve the game and add additional features before the official launch of Quake Champions in the coming months.”

Continues...

Sadly, the game's beta population isn't too healthy these days, but that's what happens when you have mammoths like Overwatch and PUBG to compete with! I hope the Steam launch helps to improve it though, even if only a few thousand stick around. With Lawbreakers struggling to keep population, we need at least one arena shooter alive in the world.