Quake Champions: Closed Beta Announcement Trailer

21 hours ago, Andrew said:

Continues...

Sadly, the game's beta population isn't too healthy these days, but that's what happens when you have mammoths like Overwatch and PUBG to compete with! I hope the Steam launch helps to improve it though, even if only a few thousand stick around. With Lawbreakers struggling to keep population, we need at least one arena shooter alive in the world.

They shot themselves in the foot with the beta. The net code was absolute dog ###### - the client and server desynced a lot. The packet upload from your client to the server depends on your frame per second rate - so slow ISP upload and a good rig will mean lag. So people quit playing leading to bad wait times. Bad wait times lead people to quit playing.

The only hope now is Unreal Tournament IV, but AFAIK its an 8 person team working at a pace of unpaid interns and they haven't implemented onslaught yet.

2 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

They shot themselves in the foot with the beta. The net code was absolute dog ###### - the client and server desynced a lot. The packet upload from your client to the server depends on your frame per second rate - so slow ISP upload and a good rig will mean lag. So people quit playing leading to bad wait times. Bad wait times lead people to quit playing.

The only hope now is Unreal Tournament IV, but AFAIK its an 8 person team working at a pace of unpaid interns and they haven't implemented onslaught yet.

I don't think the vast majority really care about the netcode this much. It may come across like that because naturally the ones taking part in the closed beta would be presumably the hardcore fans. However, the state of the game has improved a lot:

I've heard more complaints about the "hero" abilities and the stigma of it trying to be like Overwatch far more, personally.

• 1 month later...

also lame that there is no bots / offline play. getting sick of everything being online only....at the least the games i might want to play.

• 2 months later...