Play Station Portable 2

The Play Station Vita hardware is undoubtedly long overdue for a new model and it's a far weaker handheld game console than the top of the line smartphone from gaming performance perspective.

Ideally, the PSP 2 should equip an ARM 64-bit Hexa CPU, 3GB RAM for background activity and app, 2GB vRAM for 5 inch OLED touchscreen display with 900p Resolution and support up to 1TB removable storage.  

I think this is much better than the Nintendo Switch and anyone wishes this is going to happen at this year E3?

PS-Vita.png

Edited by Master of Cell

On 3/12/2017 at 8:32 AM, Master of Cell said:

The Play Station Vita hardware is undoubtedly long overdue for a new model and it's a far weaker handheld game console than the top of the line smartphone from gaming performance perspective.

Ideally, the PSP 2 should equip an ARM 64-bit Hexa CPU, 3GB RAM for background activity and app, 2GB vRAM for 5 inch OLED touchscreen display with 900p Resolution and support up to 1TB removable storage.  

I think this is much better than the Nintendo Switch and anyone wishes this is going to happen at this year E3?

I have no idea where you got those specs from but while I think it's unlikely I too wish Sony would announce a PS Vita 2 at E3 this year.

I too would like it to be ARMv8 (64bit) based but I don't have a specific core count or type in mind.  Clearly it would have to be faster than the existing Vita.  Quad core Cortex A72 or Qualcom Kryo would probably be fine.  My OCD doesn't like memory amounts that aren't a power of 2 so for no good technical reason I'd like it to be either 2 or 4GB (maybe even 8?) of LPDDR4 RAM.

I'd like to see if with a 1080p screen for videos as well as a GPU that has hardware HEVC support.  Because the mobile GPU couldn't handle high quality 1080p though I'd like to see them make the game for 540p and upscale to the 1080p screen.  The higher resolution screen is primarily for video (which could include prerendered cut scenes in games).  Along the video lines I'd like to see it have an HDMI 2.0 out so it could connect to a 4k TV and be able to play back 4k video with HDR from services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc.

I'd like the games to stay proprietary cartridges like the current Vita but I'd like the memory to go to a standard SD card format (full size, micro, or mini I don't really care just NOT proprietary).

I don't think it needs to have a wacky gimmick or beat the Switch in raw specs.  If it can do the video playback stuff above (1080p on the move or 4k when connected to a TV) is smaller in size and has bettery battery life than the Switch I think it would do pretty well.  I'd like to see it actually have the 4 shoulder buttons (instead of the Vita's 2) and drop the rear touchpad of the current Vita (which I accidently hit all the time.)  I'd like to see it be able to do everything a DualShock 4 can do so it could be used as a controller on any PS4.  I'd like to see it support using HEVC with the PlayStation Pro for Remote Play and such so it could display better quailty at lower bandwidth than the current Vita.

Again though all of this is just wishful thinking.  I think the market failure of the Vita has caused Sony to abandon the mobile market.  I wish it wasn't true but I believe it is.

Also for the record any mobile game console is going to be a "far weaker hendheld game console than the top of the line smartphone" unless it costs similar to a top of the line smartphone which is in the $600+ range and WAY outside the price of a handheld game console.  It's not fair at all to compare a $600+ iPhone or Galaxy S7 with a $300 Switch or PS Vita 2.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I have no idea where you got those specs from but while I think it's unlikely I too wish Sony would announce a PS Vita 2 at E3 this year.

I too would like it to be ARMv8 (64bit) based but I don't have a specific core count or type in mind.  Clearly it would have to be faster than the existing Vita.  Quad core Cortex A72 or Qualcom Kryo would probably be fine.  My OCD doesn't like memory amounts that aren't a power of 2 so for no good technical reason I'd like it to be either 2 or 4GB (maybe even 8?) of LPDDR4 RAM.

I'd like to see if with a 1080p screen for videos as well as a GPU that has hardware HEVC support.  Because the mobile GPU couldn't handle high quality 1080p though I'd like to see them make the game for 540p and upscale to the 1080p screen.  The higher resolution screen is primarily for video (which could include prerendered cut scenes in games).  Along the video lines I'd like to see it have an HDMI 2.0 out so it could connect to a 4k TV and be able to play back 4k video with HDR from services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc.

I'd like the games to stay proprietary cartridges like the current Vita but I'd like the memory to go to a standard SD card format (full size, micro, or mini I don't really care just NOT proprietary).

I don't think it needs to have a wacky gimmick or beat the Switch in raw specs.  If it can do the video playback stuff above (1080p on the move or 4k when connected to a TV) is smaller in size and has bettery battery life than the Switch I think it would do pretty well.  I'd like to see it actually have the 4 shoulder buttons (instead of the Vita's 2) and drop the rear touchpad of the current Vita (which I accidently hit all the time.)  I'd like to see it be able to do everything a DualShock 4 can do so it could be used as a controller on any PS4.  I'd like to see it support using HEVC with the PlayStation Pro for Remote Play and such so it could display better quailty at lower bandwidth than the current Vita.

Again though all of this is just wishful thinking.  I think the market failure of the Vita has caused Sony to abandon the mobile market.  I wish it wasn't true but I believe it is.

Also for the record any mobile game console is going to be a "far weaker hendheld game console than the top of the line smartphone" unless it costs similar to a top of the line smartphone which is in the $600+ range and WAY outside the price of a handheld game console.  It's not fair at all to compare a $600+ iPhone or Galaxy S7 with a $300 Switch or PS Vita 2.

The spec is sort of standard for a 2017 handheld game console and Sony shouldn't abandon the PSP device since many people still prefer a dedicated portable gaming device like the Switch that offers a better ergonomic over SmartPhone especially if the user use it for a longer period of time. 

20 hours ago, Master of Cell said:

The spec is sort of standard for a 2017 handheld game console and Sony shouldn't abandon the PSP device since many people still prefer a dedicated portable gaming device like the Switch that offers a better ergonomic over SmartPhone especially if the user use it for a longer period of time. 

I'm not sure how there can be a "standard" for a 2017 handheld game console when there is only one company releasing a handheld game console in 2017 and that's Nintendo.  Even they don't really push it as one though saying it's replacing the Wii U and not the 3DS and it's only a quad not a hexa core.  So where did you get hexa core being standard?

I'm one of the people who still prefer a dedicated portable gaming device but you can't argue with the sales figures.  People didn't buy the PS Vita (I did), what makes you think they'd suddenly start buying a Vita 2.  The PSP did well for them selling over 80 million in its lifetime... the PS Vita however likely did less than 1/10th of that.  The Nintendo Switch is doing well (in part) because it replaces the Wii U and is the most advanced hardware to get Nintendo exclusive games like Zelda on.  A PS Vita 2 from Sony isn't going to be better spec wise than even the launch PS4 let alone the Pro so it won't be the best platform to get Sony exclusive games on.  Again though I hope I'm wrong... but I really don't see Sony stepping back into the mobile market.

I hope Sony does SOMETHING big this E3 though.  With Nintendo cleaning up on the portable gaming market with Switch and Microsoft poised to take over the performance lead on living room consoles via Project Scorpio Sony really needs to have something big up their sleeves.  I'm hoping for either the announcement that the PS5 will launch in Nov. of 2018 (limiting Project Scorpio's tech lead to just one year) or a PS Vita 2 but I'm not holding my breath for either.  After Project Scorpio launches Sony could well find themselves as the 3rd best selling console behind Project Scorpio and Switch going foward.  I personally think this year was the peak for the PS4.

I would SOOOO love a new Vita/PSP just PLEASE SONY no proprietary memory, just use Micro SD.

The proprietary memory is what killed the Vita IMO and kept it from being properly popular

10 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I would SOOOO love a new Vita/PSP just PLEASE SONY no proprietary memory, just use Micro SD.

The proprietary memory is what killed the Vita IMO and kept it from being properly popular

I hope they don't give up on the PSP iteration to compete with the Nintendo Switch regardless of mediocre sales. 

On 3/15/2017 at 0:04 AM, Asmodai said:

I'm not sure how there can be a "standard" for a 2017 handheld game console when there is only one company releasing a handheld game console in 2017 and that's Nintendo.  Even they don't really push it as one though saying it's replacing the Wii U and not the 3DS and it's only a quad not a hexa core.  So where did you get hexa core being standard?

I'm one of the people who still prefer a dedicated portable gaming device but you can't argue with the sales figures.  People didn't buy the PS Vita (I did), what makes you think they'd suddenly start buying a Vita 2.  The PSP did well for them selling over 80 million in its lifetime... the PS Vita however likely did less than 1/10th of that.  The Nintendo Switch is doing well (in part) because it replaces the Wii U and is the most advanced hardware to get Nintendo exclusive games like Zelda on.  A PS Vita 2 from Sony isn't going to be better spec wise than even the launch PS4 let alone the Pro so it won't be the best platform to get Sony exclusive games on.  Again though I hope I'm wrong... but I really don't see Sony stepping back into the mobile market.

I hope Sony does SOMETHING big this E3 though.  With Nintendo cleaning up on the portable gaming market with Switch and Microsoft poised to take over the performance lead on living room consoles via Project Scorpio Sony really needs to have something big up their sleeves.  I'm hoping for either the announcement that the PS5 will launch in Nov. of 2018 (limiting Project Scorpio's tech lead to just one year) or a PS Vita 2 but I'm not holding my breath for either.  After Project Scorpio launches Sony could well find themselves as the 3rd best selling console behind Project Scorpio and Switch going foward.  I personally think this year was the peak for the PS4.

You are not sure how that can be a standard? Really? The Nintendo Switch is a great example of using more than 4 cores with Tegra X1. 

Edited by Master of Cell

On 3/17/2017 at 9:38 PM, Master of Cell said:

You are not sure how that can be a standard? Really? The Nintendo Switch is a great example of using more than 4 cores with Tegra X1. 

At the time I posted that everyone was reporting the Switch as having a 4x A57 CPU.  I clearly noted this in my post when I specifically stated it was a quad.  Turns out that's not correct as teardowns have since revealed that it is in fact an unmodified X1.  Also generally speaking calling something a standard implies more than one company is doing it.  Even knowing now that the Switch does in fact have 8 cores and not just 4 though and even if we DO consider the Switch by itself the "standard" then that STILL doesn't explain where you got hex cores from since it's an octacore.

Just now, Asmodai said:

At the time I posted that everyone was reporting the Switch as having a 4x A57 CPU.  I clearly noted this in my post when I specifically stated it was a quad.  Turns out that's not correct as teardowns have since revealed that it is in fact an unmodified X1.  Also generally speaking calling something a standard implies more than one company is doing it.  Even knowing now that the Switch does in fact have 8 cores and not just 4 though and even if we DO consider the Switch by itself the "standard" then that STILL doesn't explain where you got hex cores from since it's an octacore.

You are really asking a silly question regarding the spec when it's more or less just a reference of what to expect for the PSP 2 hardware based on the Switch Hardware. 

12 minutes ago, Master of Cell said:

You are really asking a silly question regarding the spec when it's more or less just a reference of what to expect for the PSP 2 hardware based on the Switch Hardware. 

I'm really just curious as to where you arrived by it.  I was hoping you didn't just randomly pull it off the top of your head but that in fact does appear to be the case.  Not that that's a horrible thing as I've done similar things myself, I too enjoy speculating about upcoming hardware.  I however do note that it's just wild speculation for fun and don't try to pass it off as "standard".  That's really what confused me as to me that implied you had some stronger point of reference than you apparently do.  I still don't get how you get a 6 core "based of Switch hardware" which was original speculated at 4 and then revealed to be 8... so where the heck did 6 come from... clearly you just made it up though so that's fine.  Mystery solved.

22 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I'm really just curious as to where you arrived by it.  I was hoping you didn't just randomly pull it off the top of your head but that in fact does appear to be the case.  Not that that's a horrible thing as I've done similar things myself, I too enjoy speculating about upcoming hardware.  I however do note that it's just wild speculation for fun and don't try to pass it off as "standard".  That's really what confused me as to me that implied you had some stronger point of reference than you apparently do.  I still don't get how you get a 6 core "based of Switch hardware" which was original speculated at 4 and then revealed to be 8... so where the heck did 6 come from... clearly you just made it up though so that's fine.  Mystery solved.

I alluded some of the points that are clearly understandable and you are overly concerned about the CPU core so there is no mystery to solve right from the start. :huh: