GTX 1070 SLI for GTX 1080 TI?

Basically I bought a 1070 in the summer last year, I returned a product to the same store and they'd only give me store credit with which I couldn't find anything else I wanted so ended up getting another 1070. I am wondering whether I should stick the 1070's on eBay and go for a GTX 1080 TI? Is it too early to tell if it'd be a worthwhile move until some testers can crunch the numbers? If I pre-order in the next few days from my local store I can get an EVGA founders edition for £650 instead of £720. Money isn't really an issue, it's more just making sure it's well spent. I'm running 4K. I'm thinking maybe it's time to move on from SLI and just buy the best single card I can?

Performance-wise, my guess would be that the 1070s in SLI would have the edge.  But if it was my choice, I'd go with the single 1080 Ti.

Special driver support is usually needed for SLI, so there's the added possibility of driver issues.  I had SLI setups multiple times and never had any issues, but it's still possible and you'll see Nvidia making notes in their updates specific to SLI.  Plus you'll have to remember to re-enable SLI every time you update the driver.  Not a big deal, but I've forgotten to do that a few times.

Also, SLI will consume more power, make more noise, create more heat, take up more case space, require more cables, etc.

I like simple and easy, so my preference is a single card.

I have never done SLI as I feel like this technology never really caught on enough to make it worthwhile. Meaning, you're not in a situation like you would be with Dual CPUs where there is a lot of proper support built into the stack and performance increases are relatively natural as long as you can saturate the CPU with threads... SLI seems to still act like a BETA technology where you're still having to deal with driver issues related to it or SLI profiles being there for your game. Additionally, you need to be mindful of SLI scaling which may not be enough to fully realize gains. That isn't even looking at potential issues like micro-stuttering and etc...

All that when you've spent 2x the normal spend...

I prefer to stick with single card solutions for simplicity and IMHO it makes better financial sense as well. I mean 2x1070 new is more expensive than 1x1080 Ti...

But unlike me... You've already purchased 2x1070 and have them in SLI. So depending on what you're able to extract selling them off you might be better off just holding camp until 1180 Ti or 1280 Ti...

2 friends of mine are in this situation, one has a pair of EVGA 1070s in SLi and the other has a single founders EVGA 1080ti.....in 3dmark the pair of 1070s get approx (8700ish for the 108ti compared to 9900ish of the SLI 1070s) more points on the DX 12 benchmark, ofc this is purely synthetic and games have to support SLI to benefit. 

I personally would stick with wat you have and wait for next card releases, unless you can sell off the 1070s for a very good price, seems a lot of money to spend on a slight increase in performance IMO.

Ive always personally avoided SLI for a good decade or so, the last time i have cards paired up were 3Dfx Voodoo cards, maybe its the scots in me, but i dont see the merit in spending 2x the financial outlay and not getting 2x the performance over a single card.......i would always feel short changed tbvh.

Edited by Mando