Disappointed Childhood's unite

Let me show you my sad tale and you can show me yours.

Instead of Nintendo, I had this

handheld-pic1.jpg

Instead of Transformers, I had these

ef37c5f132460c4f37988034f0af2a1d.jpg

Instead of Cable TV, I had to watch this......aluminum foil held most of my hope

C6uy3cYVoAAtYUV.jpg

Instead of GI Joe's....*sigh, I had these

$_27.JPG

RC cars?.....not really, I had these wired kind instead. If you wanted to turn, you had to go in reverse and would only turn in one direction.

dlq7s.jpg

Disney educational books?...lol, no, I had to learn from books like these instead

512SDSDi8UL.jpg I actually don't think it helped me make any more friends either

• Like 2

They are off brand toys. I didn't say anything about being sad, the topic is about disappointed childhoods. Moments you got gifts that were not what you actually wanted.

19 hours ago, Som said:

riiiiight, maybe a trip to some third world countries, see how bad your childhood could've been

all that stuff looks pretty cool to me

Why would anyone as a kid care about 3rd world countries? What does that have to do with being disappointed with getting a Gobot instead of what you actually wanted or asked for xmas? Clearly you didn't understand the topic at all.

I was disappointed as a child by simply being born a decade before the invention of Pong... In today's terms, we had no 'toys', we had plastic guns that didn't have bright orange tips and played army and we also had small plastic figures and played cowboys and 'native americans'.  I was crushed.

21 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

GoBots and He-Man were hardly off-brand toys...

He-Man not really, but GoBots were the poor kids version of Transformers... I can relate.

5 minutes ago, xendrome said:

He-Man not really, but GoBots were the poor kids version of Transformers... I can relate.

Yea, but GoBots were still pretty popular.  I had both.  I had a bunch of He-Man stuff as well but then I got a puppy and those became his chew toys.  Never had Gi Joes tho.    Never had cable growing up.   Kinds then, this may come as a shocker to some, actually got out of the house, played, got dirty, scrapped our knees....

People put to much concern on these things.  Was your childhood good?   Did you miss out by not having these things?

19 minutes ago, xendrome said:

They've actually been incorporated into modern Transformers storylines...

On 3/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, NightScreams said:

Let me show you my sad tale and you can show me yours.

You can't change the past, but you can strive to give a better childhood to your own kids in the future.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

FTFY. :p

The '20's don't know how bad the '10's had it ... the '30's don't know how bad the '20's had it ... the '40's don't know how bad the '30's had ... etc. :) 

Anyway ... for me ... I didn't really care.  My parents told me to be thankful I had a roof over my head and full belly.  I was also memorized by TV (news/adverts) showing the bad Ethiopian/Ugandan/Sudan famine in the 80's ... and a young realization that I was indeed lucky.

I guess the only disappointing thing I received, in general, were clothes. :p In particular these faux leather(?) pants (think 80's shiny pants...i.e. Michael Jackson style).

I am in my early 40's and remember part of my childhood... I was lucky that even though I was from a poor family, I was able to get a Nintendo, some transformers toys and even used Gi joes from a cousin that was from a rich family. Not disappointed at all of my childhood.

40 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

FTFY. :p

Silly rabbit.  :p

50s and 60's cars were stronger and roomy than the today's cars.  I read the article that they are considering to bring the station wagons back like we did have it in 80's like Ford brought Bronco back. Not too bad. 

In 70's and 80's, I got some good stuff such as Atari computer, some cool tech that I wanted. FYI, I still have Atari computer in my closet.  :)

70s and 80s toys and tech were great during that time.   Then the stores were bought out and went downhill in 90s. 

21 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Silly rabbit.  :p

50s and 60's cars were stronger and roomy than the today's cars.  I read the article that they are considering to bring the station wagons back like we did have it in 80's like Ford brought Bronco back. Not too bad. 

In 70's and 80's, I got some good stuff such as Atari computer, some cool tech that I wanted. FYI, I still have Atari computer in my closet.  :)

70s and 80s toys and tech were great during that time.   Then the stores were bought out and went downhill in 90s. 

Please tell me you're being sarcastic on the "stronger" part...if you're talking about rigidity ... yea I guess.  A minor fender bender may cost a bunch of money on today's cars (where as in the "old days" you could buff it out) ... however that rigidity would come at a price in every scenario other than a fender bender ... the price being your life.  Anyway, I'd rather have a less "rigid" car of today vs. one of decades ago ... they are built to crumple around the occupant ... not transfer all the energy to the occupant.  

Regarding station wagons ... the Audi Prologue Avant concept (from a few years ago) is one sexy station wagon.  

9 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

Sounds like a pity party. Toughen up snowflake. Be grateful for what you have and cherish your gifts that others go without.

It's a joke, deplorable (seeing as you took it there).

10 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic on the "stronger" part...if you're talking about rigidity ... yea I guess.  A minor fender bender may cost a bunch of money on today's cars (where as in the "old days" you could buff it out) ... however that rigidity would come at a price in every scenario other than a fender bender ... the price being your life.  Anyway, I'd rather have a less "rigid" car of today vs. one of decades ago ... they are built to crumple around the occupant ... not transfer all the energy to the occupant.  

Regarding station wagons ... the Audi Prologue Avant concept (from a few years ago) is one sexy station wagon.  

Yes about rigidity and I was talking about lot of room under the hood and head room above your head... today cars are not. they crap them close.. Plus too much taking apart in today cars.  Old cars, no problem.  Some new cars that will make you to take apart to change the bulbs then put them back....    Old cars, you can change the bulbs behind the headlights/taillights easy.

I have seen the videos that today cars are smashed all the way to windshield.   Old cars can be bent but not smashed all the way to windshield depends on speed impact.  Don't forget that they used metal until 80s then they switched to plastic, fiberglass, etc. depends on which model they use materials such as plastic, metal, fiberglass.. however they make their cars.

All depends on how they make their cars ...  some are good, some are not.   That's why they have the crash labs to do the crash tests and see how good they are. Based on the speed.

I would get a station wagon if they ever come out.. I used to ride in one back in 70s/80s.  I like the one with the seat in way back allows you to face the back window so you can wave the strangers who is behind you. I used to wave at the strangers in that car. :)

18 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Yes about rigidity and I was talking about lot of room under the hood and head room above your head... today cars are not. they crap them close.. Plus too much taking apart in today cars.  Old cars, no problem.  Some new cars that will make you to take apart to change the bulbs then put them back....    Old cars, you can change the bulbs behind the headlights/taillights easy.

I have seen the videos that today cars are smashed all the way to windshield.   Old cars can be bent but not smashed all the way to windshield depends on speed impact.  Don't forget that they used metal until 80s then they switched to plastic, fiberglass, etc. depends on which model they use materials such as plastic, metal, fiberglass.. however they make their cars.

All depends on how they make their cars ...  some are good, some are not.   That's why they have the crash labs to do the crash tests and see how good they are. Based on the speed.

I would get a station wagon if they ever come out.. I used to ride in one back in 70s/80s.  I like the one with the seat in way back allows you to face the back window so you can wave the strangers who is behind you. I used to wave at the strangers in that car. :)

Gotcha ... and I agree cars today are a pain (if not impossible) to work on.  I popped the hood on my Q50 (just to take a look) ... and was like nope.  However, I think it should be pointed out why cars today crumple ... the way that they do ... to absorb the impact so you, the fleshy occupant doesn't have to.  I would take my chance in one of the cheapest Toyota's, Ford's, etc. of today vs. whatever the "strongest" built car was of the 50/60's.

Anyway ... sorry I diverted this thread. :) 

I got one these when I was younger ... haha.  Think I only played once.

11 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Gotcha ... and I agree cars today are a pain (if not impossible) to work on.  I popped the hood on my Q50 (just to take a look) ... and was like nope.  However, I think it should be pointed out why cars today crumple ... the way that they do ... to absorb the impact so you, the fleshy occupant doesn't have to.  I would take my chance in one of the cheapest Toyota's, Ford's, etc. of today vs. whatever the "strongest" built car was of the 50/60's.

Anyway ... sorry I diverted this thread. :) 

I am sorry too.