IPv4 basic network setup

Hello fellow neowinians.

I have trouble with my router, because it's a provider sample and it's dumb as ********. It's slow and really dumb.

Is there anyway to access devices outside my domain? By factory default router was 192.168.1.1 and since it didn't see devices only some I've changed it, but now I don't see the once which where there when 1.1. This stupid router makes me nuts, is there anyway to access that device without screwing up the currently recognized 192.168.0.X devices? I have to access 1 NAS which is currently stuck in the 192.168.1.X subnet.

Pinging not possible, due to I don't know the IP of the NAS. Prev setting was by default dynamic, always set the static IP in router setting. Currently half of the static IP's are correct by router, still executes rules which are not even there in the setting, but had it once.

Thanks for helping, probably this is basic IPv4 knowledge, but I really don't know how to make it work, without destroying the current setup.

BTW, my network is simple. NET > ROUTER (CABLE+WIFI) > GB SWITCH > 1PC + 4NAS

What is the make/model of the router you now have?

If DHCP is enabled on the router and also the clients, then it shouldn't matter what IP range (192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x) as all your devices will work automatically. That said, as you haven't set a static IP on the devices, you should be able to log into the router's web interface and view the connected IP addresses. That will give you the currently assigned addresses. Once you have that info, I would highly recommend setting a static IP on the devices themselves, if you want to ensure they always have the same IP.

I'd also consider waiting to hear what @BudManhas to say, as he is very good with networking issues.

Yes.

Brand is proximus. :p ...but what I can tell the ethernet hardware is "Sagemcom Broadband". But the problem is the firmware, because I have only user access to it and it's a custom one by provider. DHCP enabled ofcourse. Here is the screenshot of current settings:

Do i have to change the subnet mask maybe? to 255.255.0.0? And the device missing I cannot see here either. I really haven't experienced anything like this before, not even with cheap routers from TPlink or Dlink.

DHCPv4.PNG

2 minutes ago, Class said:

Yes.

Brand is proximus. :p ...but what I can tell the ethernet hardware is "Sagemcom Broadband". But the problem is the firmware, because I have only user access to it and it's a custom one by provider. DHCP enabled ofcourse. Here is the screenshot of current settings:

Do i have to change the subnet mask maybe? to 255.255.0.0?

DHCPv4.PNG

The scroll bar on the right makes it look like there are more options if you scroll down that page? Is there anything useful?

Leave the subnet as 255.255.255.0, otherwise you'll enter a whole new world of problems!

So it sounds like your devices will have received an address somewhere between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.63. Without having access to the DHCP table, I think you have two options (well, two quick options).

1) If you are on Windows, you can use the network discovery feature to find any local devices on your network. Then you can find the IP address and connect to the device to set a static IP

2) Manually try to browse to; 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4, etc from your web browser until 192.168.0.63. You should eventually stumble across your devices.

Only the static IP settings are there unfortunately, nothing else

I already scanned the network with FING and no, the router did not give an IP to the this particular NAS. Before switching the router to 0.1 i had the NAS statistic router to 192.168.1.58, but erased the line and re-added to give it 192.168.0.3, but it's not being executed. Should I maybe delete the line again, in hope it will pop up in the network. The DHCP of this router is just so baaad. One of my QNAP's I had also this issue, but solved by using the other ethernet slot which was not used before and after 3rd reboot and other ethernet also popped up in the list.

What if simply exclude the network and connect the NAS directly into my PC, just to check if dinamic is still corrently set would work?

6 minutes ago, Class said:

What if simply exclude the network and connect the NAS directly into my PC, just to check if dinamic is still corrently set would work?

Unlikely, as you'd still need to know the address of the NAS to connect to it from the PC.

Did you try Window's built-in network discovery?

Yes, did try.

I'm not excluding the fact the it could be because of Zyxel firmware (NSA310) is not the most stabil little device, but I restarted many times. Anyway, will to connect it directly and see if I can find the device which the network scanning.

Ok. I am not exactly sure what you are getting at. 

I am guessing on the network you have 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x. 

The 1.x has a router/gateway (your modem) the 0.x has no router/gateway to handle the request to go over to the 1.x network

you have to either re ip the network or get a router that can handle other subnets and a switch that can handle what is known as vlans (a layer 2switch).  

If your router understands this, technically you could put your subnet mask at 255.255.254.0 (all computers would have to have this mask as well) and then you would see the 0.x and the 1.x addresses. But keep in mind, there is no separation, it is just one big network where the network id is 192.168.0.0 and broadcast is 192.168.1.255. 

If you want to change your network from 192.168.1/24 to 192.168.0/24 and you had devices that were setup static on your network as 192.168.1 - just change them to be on the 192.168.0 network.

Either directly on the device.  Or set your machine to be on the 192.168.1 network and access them and change them to 192.168.0 or dhcp.. Then set your machine back to dhcp or 192.168.0 network.

11 hours ago, sc302 said:

Ok. I am not exactly sure what you are getting at. 

I am guessing on the network you have 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x. 

The 1.x has a router/gateway (your modem) the 0.x has no router/gateway to handle the request to go over to the 1.x network

you have to either re ip the network or get a router that can handle other subnets and a switch that can handle what is known as vlans (a layer 2switch).  

If your router understands this, technically you could put your subnet mask at 255.255.254.0 (all computers would have to have this mask as well) and then you would see the 0.x and the 1.x addresses. But keep in mind, there is no separation, it is just one big network where the network id is 192.168.0.0 and broadcast is 192.168.1.255. 

10 hours ago, BudMan said:

If you want to change your network from 192.168.1/24 to 192.168.0/24 and you had devices that were setup static on your network as 192.168.1 - just change them to be on the 192.168.0 network.

Either directly on the device.  Or set your machine to be on the 192.168.1 network and access them and change them to 192.168.0 or dhcp.. Then set your machine back to dhcp or 192.168.0 network.

Today I've played around. And I just cannot figure out what's the issue.

I've change back the router to 192.168.1.1 and now I have access to the other NAS, but not the other. It's either one or the other. Checked setting on Zyxel NAS, both are dynamic. And they just simply won't work. One is working if router is set to 192.168.0.1 and the other is working when 192.168.1.1. It's just a complete #WTF moment for me. I cannot think of anything else to check. Restarted the previously accessible NAS, it's just won't show up under 1.1. I'm running out of ideas what can be the problem, and I can only think of 1, the router cannot make a difference between 2 NAS of same type. Both are identical Zyxel NSA310S. Probably thinks MAC information is for noobs and recognizes only 1.

NASv4.PNG

NASv4_11.PNG

If DHCP is refusing to play ball, as a quick fix, decide which network you want to use, let's assume you pick 192.168.1.x, switch your router to 192.168.0.1, renew your DHCP on your pc so you can connect to that network, login to the NAS on that network, and give it a static IP address on the 192.168.1.x network, make a note of what you set it to (and dont set it to something that will be within the DHCP scope of the router). Once that's applied (reboot the NAS if needed, you should lose access to it on the 192.168.0.x network, then change the router back to 192.168.1.x, and renew your lease again to move your PC back, now you should be able to access the reconfigured NAS using the static IP you gave it, and the other NAS via whichever IP it picked up via DHCP. Maybe set that one static and outside of the DHCP scope too, so you always know what IP it will be on, without needing to login to the router to check.

5 hours ago, sc302 said:

One nas is on 0.x and one is on 1.x. One of the two need to be reconfigured on the network.  Assign dhcp to the 0.x one. 

5 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

If DHCP is refusing to play ball, as a quick fix, decide which network you want to use, let's assume you pick 192.168.1.x, switch your router to 192.168.0.1, renew your DHCP on your pc so you can connect to that network, login to the NAS on that network, and give it a static IP address on the 192.168.1.x network, make a note of what you set it to (and dont set it to something that will be within the DHCP scope of the router). Once that's applied (reboot the NAS if needed, you should lose access to it on the 192.168.0.x network, then change the router back to 192.168.1.x, and renew your lease again to move your PC back, now you should be able to access the reconfigured NAS using the static IP you gave it, and the other NAS via whichever IP it picked up via DHCP. Maybe set that one static and outside of the DHCP scope too, so you always know what IP it will be on, without needing to login to the router to check.

Yeah, you just tell the basic thing. Not helping. I did this yesterday. I'm not kidding when I tell, I don't have the goddamn thing. I tried both, letting DHCP give "ball" and "fix ball" I don't have both. I will today swap back to 0.1 and check out once again the other NAS not that I missed any settings.

I'm thinking now, could it be the switch who doesn't play along with the router's DHCP?

3 hours ago, Class said:

Yeah, you just tell the basic thing. Not helping. I did this yesterday. I'm not kidding when I tell, I don't have the goddamn thing. I tried both, letting DHCP give "ball" and "fix ball" I don't have both. I will today swap back to 0.1 and check out once again the other NAS not that I missed any settings.

I'm thinking now, could it be the switch who doesn't play along with the router's DHCP?

If you're setting static IPs, then DHCP has nothing to do with it. I'm guessing you just have a dumb switch, so no, that's not going to be interfering with the DHCP from the router. Take some screenshots of the settings page of your NAS when you're in there.

6 hours ago, Class said:

You do know that sometimes you have to reboot the equipment ( in this case the nas) for changes like this to take effect. 

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

You do know that sometimes you have to reboot the equipment ( in this case the nas) for changes like this to take effect. 

Reboot counter for device is currently between 20-30 times the last 2 days.

5 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

If you're setting static IPs, then DHCP has nothing to do with it. I'm guessing you just have a dumb switch, so no, that's not going to be interfering with the DHCP from the router. Take some screenshots of the settings page of your NAS when you're in there.

There is no static routing currently. That what I try to tell. I tried static, I tried dinamic, I tried 0.1 and 1.1. Currently the diagnose is still the SAME. 1 NAS active here, other is active there. So for no one can understand this, not even me.

1. cables √
  2. switch √
  3. router DHCP dynamic √
  4. router DHCP static √
  5. FING √
  6. zyxel nas setting √

I cannot think anything else anymore. Here is the proof, this is still yesterday setting as 1.1. "CLASS-ZYX" is one nas, and "CLASS-ZYQ" is the one nas. Same type, different name.

IMG_20170328_155306.jpg

Try setting the IP on the NAS itself to a static IP, not on the router. Login to the NAS's control panel, and give it a static IP address on whichever network you intend to use. While you're there, take a screenshot of the network settings applied to the NAS.

3 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

Try setting the IP on the NAS itself to a static IP, not on the router. Login to the NAS's control panel, and give it a static IP address on whichever network you intend to use. While you're there, take a screenshot of the network settings applied to the NAS.

I tried that I think on the initial 1st install, but sure, can do and try. But it should work in dynamic routing anyway. BTW, screenshot of NAS is the in one of the previous post.

31 minutes ago, Class said:

But it should work in dynamic routing anyway

Huh??

Your router is not going to to do any dynamic or static routing.. I have read through this thread a few times now and just can get what your issue is..

Put your freaking NAS on the same network PERIOD!! 

If your your network is 192.168.1/24 or 192.168.0/24 then your 2 nases need to be on the same network as your other devices.  This is as simple as letting them use dhcp or set them static..

Do you have your other old router on the network still running its dhcp server?