AWS and Local SQL DB communication - ASP.NET

Question

Hi,

I'm in process of building a web application using ASP.NET 4.5 and C# connecting to a SQL Server database. Eventually I want to deploy the web app and its database to AWS. However, I have another database that will be remain onsite that will feed requests from the web application and store into the web app's database.

What are my options for doing this securely and can you provide some guidance?

If you need more info then let me know.

Cheers, 

5 answers to this question

So, you will have the web application in Amazon communicate with your database locally? Is there a real reason the database can't be moved/replicated to AWS? 

My suggestion would be to make a tunnel from your local router/firewall to the AWS VPC your application will be housed in. At that point your database should be able to communicate to your web application and vice versa. 

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/VPC_VPN.html#SetUpVPNConnections

Thanks for the suggestion, 

The reason I went with hosting on AWS was to limit the overall exposure or potential exposure to our system. I'm just not comfortable setting one up just for that.

instead I've figured out that I can use WCF to set up a web service to answer requests made from the AWS web app. I can also set IIS and my firewall only to answer calls from the AWS IP address.

Cheers, 

9 minutes ago, firey said:

Why not use Azure and host everything on Azure? Database, WebApp, etc.

Can't - SQL server is backbone of current infrastructure. Not going cloud for infrastructure any time soon.

14 hours ago, limok said:

Can't - SQL server is backbone of current infrastructure. Not going cloud for infrastructure any time soon.

Azure has full SQL Server/Database no different than using a VPS or something similar. Where I work we started migrating to Azure and have had 0 issues.  0 downtime, 0 database issues (we have 4 SQL Databases on Azure). We also have Azure set to auto-backup the databases plus we regularly do backups. Since it's still SQL you can use SQL Management Studio and connect directly to the DB.

I dunno, just a thought.

• Like 2