DVD Drive Is Stuck And Won't Close

I do not know how this happened but my best guess is that I some how opened the drive and forgot it was still opened. I moved my right leg slightly and bumped into one side of the opened drive and now it looks lopsided, like one side of it is not aligned properly (see pictures below and video). I tried pushing it back in with some force, but I didn't want to break it so I stopped. I also took it out of my computer to examine it and it is obvious the one side is not properly lined up. I don't know how to fix this, and would really love to know how I can if possible fix this. The drive is out of my system for the moment until I can find a potential fix for this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

IMAGES

4k9E5gg.jpg

lnl2yF3.jpg

VIDEO

There's a gear inside that pulls the tray in and out. It looks and sounds like the tray has been knocked out of place from the gear. You should be able to fix it by opening the drive up and setting the tray back in place. There should be four screws on the bottom then the top cover will come off. The gear is usually near the front, and it should drive some teeth along the edge of the tray on the bottom. Hopefully the gear is just out of place and nothing is broken. Also make sure the rubber belt that goes from the motor to the gear is on properly.

cd-player-tray-drive-belt-and-gear-wheels.jpg

Edited by Rigby
  • Like 2

From your video, to me it looks as though the mechanism that pulls the tray in has failed.

Just to confirm that it is mechanical, if you start to physically push the tray in, it should recognise that and the motors should pull the tray in itself. If when you push it in, it doesn't do that and stops moving when you stop pushing it, then I think it's definitely a mechanical issue.

The last time I saw this, one of the bands had become dislodged. Simply re-attaching it worked. Depending on your experience, you could attempt to open the drive up and taking a look. You should see a dislodged band down the side. Reattach this and it should be good.

• Like 1

Remove the drive and take it apart, it's actually really easy to take the top cover off and see what's going on inside. If the drive fell off the rail it's a pretty easy fix to put it back on.

• Like 1

trays been knocked out of alignment on the ratchets, easy fix.

heck if you were close id have donated a replacement FOC, got DVDR units lying around everywhere with no purpose for me anymore.

8 minutes ago, xendrome said:

$19.97 - http://a.co/hBo9ng8

Next question... not worth trying to fix it and scratching up your discs if there is a worse problem with i t.

its a blu-ray drive, that he got

19 minutes ago, xendrome said:

$19.97 - http://a.co/hBo9ng8

Next question... not worth trying to fix it and scratching up your discs if there is a worse problem with i t.

That's the wrong drive; the Blu-ray model is $60. It's an easy fix anyway so I wouldn't waste money replacing it.

Rigby, I looked at the picture you posted. I was only able to remove the plate from the bottom of the drive, not the top. Anyway I looked inside, and then at the picture for reference and all I see is one white round gear, and another shaped gear that both have teeth on it. How am I suppose to fix the gears so the drive gets back on track. Is the drive suppose to have power to it so the gears can initiate?. I don't know how else to re-align it. I tried moving the gear with a screw driver but that really didn't do anything. And also this is the drive I have - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7B08MS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

INSIDE DRIVE

Ih5GOBY.jpg

INSIDE DRIVE VIDEO

Basically all you need to do is

1: Stand the drive on it's end with the open tray pointing up then

2: Take a really big hammer ( I find 12lb sledge hammers work the best )  and hit it repeatedly until the drive try is closed this may take more than one blow to complete 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Athlonite said:

Basically all you need to do is

1: Stand the drive on it's end with the open tray pointing up then

2: Take a really big hammer ( I find 12lb sledge hammers work the best )  and hit it repeatedly until the drive try is closed this may take more than one blow to complete 

I hope you are joking...

2 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

This is the only post that makes sense - its $20... move along.

He linked the wrong one. OP had a blueray drive...

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

He linked the wrong one. OP had a blueray drive...

Oh - that does change things - I understand wanting to fix it .. my bad ><

• Like 1

Have you tried using more force? Application via the fleshy part of your hand (thumb) I understand there is a very real and very big risk of damaging, even breaking the tray, but without fully disassembling the drive, I don't see another option. Might force the runner back into place.

(If it were my drive, I'd give it a shot, worst case scenario, I have to buy a replacement.)

But if it is not an option, then please disregard this post.

8 hours ago, Sharpstick68 said:

Rigby, I looked at the picture you posted. I was only able to remove the plate from the bottom of the drive, not the top. Anyway I looked inside, and then at the picture for reference and all I see is one white round gear, and another shaped gear that both have teeth on it. How am I suppose to fix the gears so the drive gets back on track. Is the drive suppose to have power to it so the gears can initiate?. I don't know how else to re-align it. I tried moving the gear with a screw driver but that really didn't do anything. And also this is the drive I have - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7B08MS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The top cover should come off also, allowing you to remove the tray and align it in the proper position with the gear. You may need to remove the front bezel first, should be some clips on the side holding it in place. The other gear in your picture I think is the one that lifts the disc spindle up and down, shouldn't be related to the tray problem. Really just need to get that top cover off for the next step; keep looking it over and working with it and you should be able to figure out how to remove it. I would not recommend trying to force the tray back in position since breaking any of the gears or teeth would ruin it. Do you know anyone who works on stuff you could take it to?

Edited by Rigby

On 4/6/2017 at 2:09 PM, Mindovermaster said:

I hope you are joking...

Nope I was completely serious .... once one thing starts going wrong it'll be a never ending slide into fully not working better to be rid of it now 

7 hours ago, Athlonite said:

Nope I was completely serious .... once one thing starts going wrong it'll be a never ending slide into fully not working better to be rid of it now 

The rest of the people are trying to help him, just not call it quits and get a new one.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:26 AM, Mindovermaster said:

The rest of the people are trying to help him, just not call it quits and get a new one.

He can fix it all he wants but it wont be long before it will need fixing again it'll be a rinse and repeat opperation untill finally it's totally buggered I don't see the need to fix such a cheap piece of hardware nowadays just junk it and get a new one simple as that 

4 minutes ago, Athlonite said:

He can fix it all he wants but it wont be long before it will need fixing again it'll be a rinse and repeat opperation untill finally it's totally buggered I don't see the need to fix such a cheap piece of hardware nowadays just junk it and get a new one simple as that 

He knocked the tray out of its track with his knee; that's all. The drive isn't failing, and there's no reason to assume anything else will go wrong when the tray is back in position. I suppose $60 may seem cheap to you but throwing away the drive for no reason is absurd.