Windows 8.1 Boot Manager Keeps Appearing!

Hi, 

A friend has given me a laptop to fix for him (Lenovo G580). It had so many issues I just used the built in recovery to restore to factory settings. Once fully updated to Win 8.1 I ran some tests and found the hard drive was on its way out and needed to be replaced. I had a spare 500GB HDD lying around so I used Paragon drive copy to clone the drive. The original source drive is 1TB so the partitions were re-sized during the cloning process. Now I would have usually just installed a clean copy of windows from an USB but I am unable to get into the bios/boot menu on this laptop (just a black screen). After googling I have found many uses with this laptop have the same issue and Lenovo's only fix is to replace the entire motherboard. This is out of the question due to the age of the laptop. So as it stands I cannot change the mode from EFI to Legacy.

The cloning process was a success and after installing into the laptop I am able to boot into Windows and reach the desktop. However, the cloning process has created two issues. The windows boot manager keeps appearing at when I turn the laptop on and gives me two options:

1. Windows setup [EMS enabled]

2. Windows 8.1

Also when I attempt to shutdown the computer from the start menu it just reboots. I have found disabling hibernation prevents this (but the boot time is slower).

I have tried checking MSConfig and using EasyBCD to remove the windows setup option that appears in the windows boot manager but this entry does not appear as an entry to remove. All I can see is Windows 8.1. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like an outside chance, but do you have a sticky key? Maybe an alt or ctrl key that's getting polled?