Free VPN for Ubuntu 16.04

28 minutes ago, sikhwarrior said:

Hi guys, as the title suggest I am looking for a free VPN to use in Ubuntu.

is there any that anyone recommends? 

<Moved to Internet, Network & Security>

Like a free vpn to use to hide your traffic from your isp, or a free vpn server to use ubuntu as a endpoint that you vpn into?

Just now, BudMan said:

Like a free vpn to use to hide your traffic from your isp, or a free vpn server to use ubuntu as a endpoint that you vpn into?

Free VPN like Hotspot Shield, I want it OS based if possible. I am using Opera on Ubuntu and the built in VPN but want something OS based.

you do understand those free vpns are just selling your info or injecting ads to pay for the service.  There is no such thing as a FREE ride..

• Like 2

I have the paid verson of Hotspot Shield but that is for Windows and iOS but nothing for Ubuntu, But I want something for Linux as I am using that more than Windows now.

26 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You don't REALLY need a VPN with Linux in general...

What would Linux, or any OS for that matter, have to do with needing a VPN?

yeah.. What os you run has little to do with need or not needing a vpn ;)

If your wanting to route traffic out of your network via a vpn, I would do it at the router and not the client anyway.. This way you can route traffic through a vpn from devices that have no support for vpn at all.  Say a smart tv, or a roku box, or firestick, etc.  Your dvr for that matter, etc.

Browser based vpn is ok I guess if you want to run the bbc player from the us or something.. Or want to hide your p0rn traffic from your isp I guess.  But if you want your roku to play netflix off us based netflix then you would want to do that at the router level anyway.

Might of had explained that wrong. I was busy, so I couldn't express fully.

OP had a "Windows Version" of a VPN service. That doesn't work on Ubuntu. Like @BudMan said, it should be on the router level, not client level.

So, what I was saying "you don't need a VPN for Linux." I meant that as "you don't need a VPN on client level"

If that makes any sense... :/

There's no such a thing as "Free VPN" you are giving away your privacy in exchange for a fake protection, they will sell your browsing habits and store your info God knows where and sell it a zillion times to the best buyer out there.

Ok let's forget "free" VPN and this Ubuntu device I am using is a laptop and I use it when I am out an about so I am always jumping on free WiFi where possible, so yes router based would be best but I don't have control of everyone's routers except for my own. Is there any VPN that anyone would recommended that will work on Ubuntu, if not looks like I will just use Hotspot Shield in Chrome. 

Openvpn runs on linux.. Just because the service he is using doesn't provided a client or instructions.  What vpn service are you using?

As mentioned if what you want is one to protect you while your out and about at starbucks - then just vpn into your router at home..  Which your already paying for that connectivity.. Why do you need to pay for something else while your on the road and worried that the free wifi your using is stealing your whatever..