Looking to buy a used Dell XPS 15 L502X circa 2011

Hi everyone,

I have a friend looking to sell his Dell XPS L502x (from around 2011). It has a GeForce 540M with the Intel i7-2720QM and 8GB of RAM.

I'm mainly looking for an inexpensive laptop to play new-to-me games on the likes of Diablo 3, Skyrim, Doom 3, and Starcraft 2. I also like emulation (Gamecube and older). Would this be able to handle that?

What would you suggest as a fair price to buy this?

What is he offering? Sounds kind of foolish asking what a fair price is if you are buying it. That's his job, not yours.

3 hours ago, Annorax said:

Hi everyone,

I have a friend looking to sell his Dell XPS L502x (from around 2011). It has a GeForce 540M with the Intel i7-2720QM and 8GB of RAM.

I'm mainly looking for an inexpensive laptop to play new-to-me games on the likes of Diablo 3, Skyrim, Doom 3, and Starcraft 2. I also like emulation (Gamecube and older). Would this be able to handle that?

What would you suggest as a fair price to buy this?

Perfectly acceptable question for you to ask, before buying. Don't let other users tell you otherwise here.

I found a few on eBay, one that is refurbished goes for just under $400 bucks, however that was with 16GB of RAM. I'd say, given the age, I personally would spend no more than $325 on it; if it is in great condition maybe $350 but that would be pushing it IMO. You can find some good refurb deals online for much newer systems around that price. I dont know how the 540M stacks up to intels offers at the moment, but that might be another option.

The CPU is very capable for most things but will limit you in Dolphin. Most emulators just use a single core and need a high clock speed and the GPU (540M) is not very important since the emulator is using the CPU to emulate the Gamecube GPU

Very few laptops come with a high enough single core clock to run Dolphin, Citra and CEMU.

You didn't mention the LCD panel. The XPS came with both excellent and junk LCDs which is true of all laptops then and now.