Having a brain fart regarding a Microsoft Account Email address and using your existing email address.

I feel as if I'm having a brain fart at the moment. Microsoft gives you the option of using your existing email address when creating a Microsoft Account. A Microsoft account address is also one you can use as an outlook.com email address. So hen someone sends an email to that address how does it go to oulook.com and not to the ISP that email address is for?

Or does is that address just for a Microsoft account and not for outlook too.

so If I have the email bigdaddytoy@frontier.net with frontier communications and then use bigdaddytoy@fronternet.net as my Microsoft account address. ...how does email ever come to that address on my Microsoft? Wouldn't it go to my frontier.com inbox?

or does Microsoft bring in the server settings for said email provider and retrieve the messages.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I feel as if I'm having a brain fart at the moment. Microsoft gives you the option of using your existing email address when creating a Microsoft Account. You can then use that address to log into outlook.com. When someone sends an email to that address how does it go to oulook.com and not to the ISP that email address is for?

Or does is that address just for a Microsoft account and not for outlook too.

so If I have the email bigdaddytoy@frontier.net with frontier communications and then use bigdaddytoy@fronternet.net as my Microsoft account address. ...how does email ever come to that address on my Microsoft? Wouldn't it go to my frontier.com inbox?

It won't go to outlook.com if it's an existing email address. MS cannot update the mx record to make it so. 

I have a gmail address I used as a live account. Email is never sent or received by outlook.com. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

It won't go to outlook.com if it's an existing email address. MS cannot update the mx record to make it so. 

I have a gmail address I used as a live account. Email is never sent or received by outlook.com. 

even though no emails go to outlook.com can you use it to log into outlook.com?

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

even though no emails go to outlook.com can you use it to log into outlook.com?

Pretty dumb, right?

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Pretty dumb, right?

I just tested... yes.. can log in.. but they give you a gibberish looking outlook address once logged in. Which makes sense.  What a cluster ######.

It only came to mind because I was creating a facebook post on my business page, about when switching internet service providers is a great time to create a new email address with an email provider such has Gmail or outlook.That way it will follow the around to whichever ISP they have. I had mentioned that if they had created a Microsoft account then they already had an outlook email. But then I thought ... wait.. not the case if they used their existing email address when creating the account.

When they use their ISP email address to log into outlook, it lets them in but then they are presented with their actual email address on the outlook side which looks something like

outlook_393478134908132498@outlook.com

Google is smart... no confusion, they don't let you use your existing email address. In the end, if you have a Google Account that you had to create for your Android phone or tablet you already also have a Gmail address.

17 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I just tested... yes.. can log in.. but they give you a gibberish looking outlook address once logged in. Which makes sense.  What a cluster ######.

Thats an improvement. The last time i tried years ago, you could send and receive, but the requests went into a black hole. LOL.

12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Thats an improvement. The last time i tried years ago, you could send and receive, but the requests went into a black hole. LOL.

It felt like a brain fart ... because when thinking about it I thought "They wouldn't them do it unless" .. but nope... they let them do it.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

It felt like a brain fart ... because when thinking about it I thought "They wouldn't them do it unless" .. but nope... they let them do it.

Yeah, whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be fired.