So, what cool stuff can I do on OS X?

At work I use Windows 7 enterprise only . At home I have a MacPro and an iPad mini. I only use my MacPro when I need to edit drone videos in Final Cut Pro and upload it to YouTube. Other than that, the MacPro is always powered off.

I've noticed you can mostly do anything on a Mac that you can on Windows, and it usually feels good to use a Mac, if you can understand what I mean from that. The user experience is extremely good. Although there is less choice of applications to install, you'll usually find they are well-built for the operating system.

Unless you're wanting to play games, other than emulators, I would suggest getting one, and macOS Sierra is a great operating system that is extremely well-optimised.

I've noticed you can mostly do anything on a Mac that you can on Windows, and it usually feels good to use a Mac, if you can understand what I mean from that. The user experience is extremely good. Although there is less choice of applications to install, you'll usually find they are well-built for the operating system.

Unless you're wanting to play games, other than emulators, I would suggest getting one, and macOS Sierra is a great operating system that is extremely well-optimised.

Quite agreed but the issue I found on the Mac is to play Blu Ray. I installed a Blu Ray drive and Mac don't play Blu Ray videos without third party players and these are not at the same level of the Windows version. Kind of disappointed it but at least I can play the movie.

@macoman Oh, I wasn't aware of that, since I don't have an external disc drive fitted to my MacBook Air, and we don't tend to carry Blu-Ray, only DVD. That is a definite downside to a Mac, though, if you're into high-quality digital media.

normal stuff(to expand of my other comment)

Boot camp for windows

parallels

vlc

perian

office

adobe apps(Photoshop etc)

Boot camp is great as Microsoft project does not have a mac version and it runs great via parallels and it even feels like a native app and the users does not know any difference as they can email or print direct via the mac.

This how I set them up at work as I have mixed windows and osx in my environment.

Thanks everyone for all for all of their input.

I've been running the latest version of OS X Sierra on a VMware with nearly all of the software recommended to me here.

I'm torn because I love my SP4 and I must have something I can remove the keyboard from to use as a tablet for watching Netflix or YouTube when I'm not using it for work. I would like to try Parallels and see how it is running both OS's simultaneously and having access to a common share file folder. I don't see though that Apple has anything with a removable keyboard like the SP4, plus they are on the expensive side.

I guess maybe in 3-4 years when my SP4 wears out, I'll look at an Apple option then.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up question now that I've had OS X for a few weeks......

How is everyone keeping their individual applications up-to-date? Not "apps" from the store, but the actual applications.

On Windows I have tools like PatchMyPC. What is the equivalent for OS X?

Thanks!

On 4/27/2017 at 6:57 PM, anguilla1980 said:

Yup, I don't see a point in paying a penny until I know I'm going to use the OS. I have an owned full version of Office 2016 Pro on my PC.

You can always get LibreOffice (free/opensource) https://www.libreoffice.org/.

It's on par to Office 2003 without an e-mail client.

22 minutes ago, anguilla1980 said:

Follow up question now that I've had OS X for a few weeks......

How is everyone keeping their individual applications up-to-date? Not "apps" from the store, but the actual applications.

On Windows I have tools like PatchMyPC. What is the equivalent for OS X?

Thanks!

Depends, some apps like Firefox / Chrome will auto update (and can be manually tripped).

Other apps, you have to go in to the app, typically under "Help" and have check for update.

Other's you may have to just download a new version and replace the old one. 

6 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

You can always get LibreOffice (free/opensource) https://www.libreoffice.org/.

It's on par to Office 2003 without an e-mail client.

Depends, some apps like Firefox / Chrome will auto update (and can be manually tripped).

Other apps, you have to go in to the app, typically under "Help" and have check for update.

Other's you may have to just download a new version and replace the old one. 

That's exactly why I'm looking for an app that will update everything for me lol, like on Windows.

Are you saying that type of thing doesn't exist yet for OS X?

3 minutes ago, anguilla1980 said:

That's exactly why I'm looking for an app that will update everything for me lol, like on Windows.

Are you saying that type of thing doesn't exist yet for OS X?

Not aware of any, however I'm primary a windows user and it could exist.

Other software to consider (free)

Gimp - (Photoshop Alternative) - https://www.gimp.org/

Audacity - (Simple audio recorder / editor) - http://www.audacityteam.org/

Krita - (Dawing / Painting software) - https://krita.org/en/

Flux - (Software to change the color of the screen based on the time of day) - https://justgetflux.com/news/pages/macquickstart/#download

Darktable (Adobe Lightroom alternative) - http://www.darktable.org/install/

On 4/28/2017 at 1:48 AM, T3X4S said:

Dude - office is $6.00 / mo.  seriously ?

$72 per year - $720 in ten years in today's dollars.

No thanks. 

Replacing fully licensed retail products with a subscription based service is one of biggest marketing scams ever.

24 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

No thanks. 

Replacing fully licensed retail products with a subscription based service is one of biggest marketing scams ever.

Actually $699.90 if you buy 1 year subscriptions instead of paying monthly. The good thing is the one-time purchase option is very much available, but in 2027 you'll still be stuck with Office 2016 (that'll likely not be compatible with Windows 10 v2703), whereas an Office 365 user will always have the latest version. Some people do see the value in that and are willing to pay for it. Choice is good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Othello said:

Actually $699.90 if you buy 1 year subscriptions instead of paying monthly. The good thing is the one time purchase option is very much available, but in 2027 you'll still be stuck with Office 2016, whereas an Office 365 user will always have the latest version. Some people do see the value in hat and are willing to pay for it. Choice is good.

Reminds me of when the docx format first came out, but the previous version of Word couldn't handle it properly while only a few organizations upgraded to Office 2007.

Backwards compatibility is golden.

13 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Reminds me of when the docx format first came out, but the previous version of Word couldn't handle it properly while only a few organizations upgraded to Office 2007.

Backwards compatibility is golden.

They released a Compatibility Pack soon enough and personally I never had any problem despite continued usage of Office 2K3 for a few years. Those who are concerned about long-term accessibility should have the sense not to use proprietary formats anyway. As a home user I can certainly see the advantage of the always updated subscription version (there's a 5 device/license multi-OS sub too), and <$6/month is far less than what I pay for many other services. Of course it all depends on your specific needs and usage patterns. Like I said, having both options available is good.

I think we should let this thread get back to cool OS X stuff now. :)

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

No thanks. 

Hold on.... you are "no thanks" to something that only cost you $720 over a decade of having the latest version?   LOL You really are in Russia, huh ?   Bread and Vodka lines are 4 hours long ?

Say hi to Gorby

24 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Hold on.... you are "no thanks" to something that only cost you $720 over a decade of having the latest version?   LOL You really are in Russia, huh ?   Bread and Vodka lines are 4 hours long ?

Say hi to Gorby

That's gotta be the height of your imagination and knowledge of Russia, although you did forget to mention banya and balalaika.

Spoiler

having the latest version?

p.s. because the retail versions of MS products never get updated  and have a really short lifespan. /s

4 hours ago, Mirumir said:

That's gotta be the height of your imagination and knowledge of Russia, although you did forget to mention banya and balalaika.

Reveal hidden contents

p.s. because the retail versions of MS products never get updated  and have a really short lifespan. /s

I understand cost is relative - but $700 over a decade?

I dont know why you chose to make the update comment hidden, was that some kind of big reveal ?  Your shot across the bow ?

By update- I am talking about if you bought O365 in 2013, when 2016 came out, you can upgrade, then when the next version comes out, as long as you pay the tiny little payment - you get to stay on the latest version.

I think you knew this.  I get that everyone's spending habits are different - but the cost of O365 is great.  I have 2 computers, but have 6 licenses (1 is a Biz Premium, which is more expensive but I wanted it to mess with the Business apps for learning) - it was so cheap I actually used it as "gifts" for people when they were in need.  They think its an amazing gesture and it cost me next to nothing.  IMO its a great idea.

I personally don't like where the "Command" key is. I'm not used to copying and pasting like that so I installed Karabiner. I also have Slow Quit Apps so if you have a habit of closing your apps using Command-W and you accidentally hit Command-Q, it won't close your app right away. You will have to hold it to close the app.