How to fix Chrome Freezing when trying to install an Extension After Windows 10 Creators Update clean install.

I've run across this issue twice now. After clean installing Windows 10 creators update I install Google Chrome. After opening Google Chrome I try to install a Google Chrome Extention and the entire browser would freeze up. So I would though share what I have found to fix the issue. 

Last time I noticed it was on Chrome version Version 58.0329.81

Disable "Use hardware acceleration when Available"

Step 1 : Open Google Chrome

Step 2: Click on the 3 verticle dots in the top right of Chrome and Select Settings.

34282005606_00e87d3754_b.jpg

Step 2: In the search box on the top right of settings type "Use hardware" and then uncheck the box "Use hardware acceleration when Available" listed below.

34282170146_c1e272fdf6_b.jpg

Now restart Chrome and try to install the extension again. I hope it works this time.

Once you've installed your extension(s), you can repeat the steps above and re-enabled it, but if chrome continues to freeze I would recommend turning it back off.

• Like 2

Should you re-enable that function once you have installed your extensions?  

2 minutes ago, devHead said:

Should you re-enable that function once you have installed your extensions?  

Good point, I added at the end "Once you've installed your extension(s), you can repeat the steps above and re-enabled it, but if chrome continues to freeze I would recommend turning it back off."

It might help to mention which version, or channel, of Chrome you are using. I have not come across this yet and I am curious as to which versions you have installed.

I ran across this issue last week. Everytime I attempted to install and extension, Chrome would hang on "Checking" and you'd have to kill the process in Task Manager. I don't know if I have resolved the issue as I haven't attempted to re-install Chrome, but I found a registry key that had borked up permissions.

When I get back on-site, I'll re-install Chrome, test and report back. Release channel 57x was the version I first noticed it and 58x was the same. 

My install was an upgrade from a 7 pro but I selected to keep files only, so it should've been a clean install.

10 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

It might help to mention which version, or channel, of Chrome you are using. I have not come across this yet and I am curious as to which versions you have installed.

Just had it happen last night on a clean install of Windows 10 creators update and clean install of chrome.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Again, which version of chrome? Stable, Beta, Canary? 58, 59, 60?

Version 58.0329.81

This is most likely a bug related to the graphics stack bug from a month or so back. Many Insiders experienced these issues with Chrome and Chromium-built browsers. Disabling hardware acceleration is a temporary fix, I am sure within the day or two Chrome will update to resolve it for now; I even had a thread regarding this bug previously. This guide, is more along the lines of a temporary fix until Chrome can fix their graphics stack.

Update: 

The regkey I spoke of had nothing to do with it. 

Disabling hardware acceleration works works as suggested. 

Hope this is is fixed soon!