HDR questions

I had some questions regarding HDR I was hoping someone can shed light on for me:

• Am I able to stream content from (for example) Amazon Instant Video or Netflix via Chromecast and still support HDR if that specific content supported it? Or can it only be viewed via HDMI connection?
    • For example, The Grand Tour via  Amazon Instant Video through casting.
  • Can existing non-HDR content be viewed in any more enhanced ways (similar to how non-HD can be up-converted)?
    • I see a lot of YouTube videos touting 4k HDR, which I wonder if i Chromecast to an HDR TV, will it display with HDR features?

Basically I wanted to know if I just streamed via Plex some of my old content, will it be any more enhanced on an HDR display even if the content isn't certified via Dolby Vision or HDR10

SDR content on a HDR display will look exactly the same, any information about the lighting is already lost and can't be added back in.

The Chromecast Ultra supports HDR, and I assume things like Netflix will use that, but it's worth checking (They might turn around and limit it just to "certified" devices)

Excellent response - thanks! 

Follow up: The TV in question is the Vizio M series. The software centers itself around casting to the TV (via built in Chromecast capability) - would casting directly to the TV support it the way you described Chromecast Ultra? 

I honestly have absolutely no idea, you'd have to read the product manual to find out what it's capable of (Chromecast is just Google's fancy dongle, the underlying tech is shared, our Sony blu-ray players both support it, etc.)

Okay so I got some answers:

- Netflix will let you stream via HDR if you have that in your package

- The Vizio TV supports both Dolby and HDR10 standards but it also depends on what the content itself supports 

- On the Vizio app, you can go into the Display Settings and see if the content currently being displayed is HDR or not (as well as resolution)

- Although YouTube offers HDR, the Vizio TV software currently is not supporting YouTube HDR over Chromecast (however this may or may not change in the near future)

- You can connect your computer to the display and watch HDR content but the computer itself must support it (probably via gfx card)

Hope this helps other folks that were wondering the same...

47 minutes ago, Malik05 said:

Okay so I got some answers:

- Netflix will let you stream via HDR if you have that in your package

- The Vizio TV supports both Dolby and HDR10 standards but it also depends on what the content itself supports 

- On the Vizio app, you can go into the Display Settings and see if the content currently being displayed is HDR or not (as well as resolution)

- Although YouTube offers HDR, the Vizio TV software currently is not supporting YouTube HDR over Chromecast (however this may or may not change in the near future)

- You can connect your computer to the display and watch HDR content but the computer itself must support it (probably via gfx card)

Hope this helps other folks that were wondering the same...

Make sure the connection to your Vizio TV is at least 25 Mbit via WiFi (not just your net connection speed - your actual home WiFi needs to be able to stream at a minimum of 25 Mbit) for Netflix 4K/HDR.

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2017 at 1:57 AM, Jaybonaut said:

Make sure the connection to your Vizio TV is at least 25 Mbit via WiFi (not just your net connection speed - your actual home WiFi needs to be able to stream at a minimum of 25 Mbit) for Netflix 4K/HDR.

The issue there will be router capability - not just whether the TV is capable.

The 2018 Samsung UHD TVs (from 6 series up) is capable enough as a receiver (I just swapped in the 43NU6900FXZA; I'm going to be looking at YouTube's HDR Channel in a bit on it .  The one thing that bites is that my phone and PC are NOT currently HDR-capable.  (I already knows the router has the bandwidth; that issue is a non-issue for me.)

Other HDR-capable/4K-capable sources include Amazon Prime Video (same Samsung TVs have the Prime Video app) - HDR-ready video/movies/etc. is marked as such.  (Two such on "Included with Prime" this month are "The Man In The High Castle" and the "Jack Ryan" original series.)

The frustrating part is that the TV is the only HDR-capable receiver in the house at the moment.  (To subscribe to such content on YouTube, I use my phone or PC (which lack HDR support).  Nertz.

12 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

The issue there will be router capability - not just whether the TV is capable.

The 2018 Samsung UHD TVs (from 6 series up) is capable enough as a receiver (I just swapped in the 43NU6900FXZA; I'm going to be looking at YouTube's HDR Channel in a bit on it .  The one thing that bites is that my phone and PC are NOT currently HDR-capable.  (I already knows the router has the bandwidth; that issue is a non-issue for me.)

Other HDR-capable/4K-capable sources include Amazon Prime Video (same Samsung TVs have the Prime Video app) - HDR-ready video/movies/etc. is marked as such.  (Two such on "Included with Prime" this month are "The Man In The High Castle" and the "Jack Ryan" original series.)

The frustrating part is that the TV is the only HDR-capable receiver in the house at the moment.  (To subscribe to such content on YouTube, I use my phone or PC (which lack HDR support).  Nertz.

This answer would have been helpful to posters over a year ago. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

This answer would have been helpful to posters over a year ago. 

I could not have answered the question even a week ago; the TV in question was purchased less than a week ago, and was installed three days ago (by me).  Still, there ARE other folks that are just as new to HDR as I am - in my case, I am new to both HDR AND 4k; even a late post may be useful to other newbies.

Just now, PGHammer said:

I could not have answered the question even a week ago; the TV in q

The thread is from 2017; literally nobody previously in this thread is reading it anymore.