HDR questions

Malik05

I had some questions regarding HDR I was hoping someone can shed light on for me:

• Am I able to stream content from (for example) Amazon Instant Video or Netflix via Chromecast and still support HDR if that specific content supported it? Or can it only be viewed via HDMI connection?
    • For example, The Grand Tour via  Amazon Instant Video through casting.
  • Can existing non-HDR content be viewed in any more enhanced ways (similar to how non-HD can be up-converted)?
    • I see a lot of YouTube videos touting 4k HDR, which I wonder if i Chromecast to an HDR TV, will it display with HDR features?

Basically I wanted to know if I just streamed via Plex some of my old content, will it be any more enhanced on an HDR display even if the content isn't certified via Dolby Vision or HDR10

The_Decryptor

SDR content on a HDR display will look exactly the same, any information about the lighting is already lost and can't be added back in.

The Chromecast Ultra supports HDR, and I assume things like Netflix will use that, but it's worth checking (They might turn around and limit it just to "certified" devices)

Malik05

Excellent response - thanks! 

Follow up: The TV in question is the Vizio M series. The software centers itself around casting to the TV (via built in Chromecast capability) - would casting directly to the TV support it the way you described Chromecast Ultra? 

The_Decryptor

I honestly have absolutely no idea, you'd have to read the product manual to find out what it's capable of (Chromecast is just Google's fancy dongle, the underlying tech is shared, our Sony blu-ray players both support it, etc.)

Malik05

Okay so I got some answers:

- Netflix will let you stream via HDR if you have that in your package

- The Vizio TV supports both Dolby and HDR10 standards but it also depends on what the content itself supports 

- On the Vizio app, you can go into the Display Settings and see if the content currently being displayed is HDR or not (as well as resolution)

- Although YouTube offers HDR, the Vizio TV software currently is not supporting YouTube HDR over Chromecast (however this may or may not change in the near future)

- You can connect your computer to the display and watch HDR content but the computer itself must support it (probably via gfx card)

Hope this helps other folks that were wondering the same...

Jaybonaut
47 minutes ago, Malik05 said:

Okay so I got some answers:

- Netflix will let you stream via HDR if you have that in your package

- The Vizio TV supports both Dolby and HDR10 standards but it also depends on what the content itself supports 

- On the Vizio app, you can go into the Display Settings and see if the content currently being displayed is HDR or not (as well as resolution)

- Although YouTube offers HDR, the Vizio TV software currently is not supporting YouTube HDR over Chromecast (however this may or may not change in the near future)

- You can connect your computer to the display and watch HDR content but the computer itself must support it (probably via gfx card)

Hope this helps other folks that were wondering the same...

Make sure the connection to your Vizio TV is at least 25 Mbit via WiFi (not just your net connection speed - your actual home WiFi needs to be able to stream at a minimum of 25 Mbit) for Netflix 4K/HDR.

• 1 year later...
PGHammer
On 5/12/2017 at 1:57 AM, Jaybonaut said:

Make sure the connection to your Vizio TV is at least 25 Mbit via WiFi (not just your net connection speed - your actual home WiFi needs to be able to stream at a minimum of 25 Mbit) for Netflix 4K/HDR.

The issue there will be router capability - not just whether the TV is capable.

The 2018 Samsung UHD TVs (from 6 series up) is capable enough as a receiver (I just swapped in the 43NU6900FXZA; I'm going to be looking at YouTube's HDR Channel in a bit on it .  The one thing that bites is that my phone and PC are NOT currently HDR-capable.  (I already knows the router has the bandwidth; that issue is a non-issue for me.)

Other HDR-capable/4K-capable sources include Amazon Prime Video (same Samsung TVs have the Prime Video app) - HDR-ready video/movies/etc. is marked as such.  (Two such on "Included with Prime" this month are "The Man In The High Castle" and the "Jack Ryan" original series.)

The frustrating part is that the TV is the only HDR-capable receiver in the house at the moment.  (To subscribe to such content on YouTube, I use my phone or PC (which lack HDR support).  Nertz.

adrynalyne
12 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

The issue there will be router capability - not just whether the TV is capable.

The 2018 Samsung UHD TVs (from 6 series up) is capable enough as a receiver (I just swapped in the 43NU6900FXZA; I'm going to be looking at YouTube's HDR Channel in a bit on it .  The one thing that bites is that my phone and PC are NOT currently HDR-capable.  (I already knows the router has the bandwidth; that issue is a non-issue for me.)

Other HDR-capable/4K-capable sources include Amazon Prime Video (same Samsung TVs have the Prime Video app) - HDR-ready video/movies/etc. is marked as such.  (Two such on "Included with Prime" this month are "The Man In The High Castle" and the "Jack Ryan" original series.)

The frustrating part is that the TV is the only HDR-capable receiver in the house at the moment.  (To subscribe to such content on YouTube, I use my phone or PC (which lack HDR support).  Nertz.

This answer would have been helpful to posters over a year ago. 

PGHammer
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

This answer would have been helpful to posters over a year ago. 

I could not have answered the question even a week ago; the TV in question was purchased less than a week ago, and was installed three days ago (by me).  Still, there ARE other folks that are just as new to HDR as I am - in my case, I am new to both HDR AND 4k; even a late post may be useful to other newbies.

adrynalyne
Just now, PGHammer said:

I could not have answered the question even a week ago; the TV in q

The thread is from 2017; literally nobody previously in this thread is reading it anymore.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Apple's Clips app now supports multiple aspect ratios, HDR recording, and more
      by Jay Bonggolto

Apple today released a major update for the Clips app that introduces some "highly requested features" to let you create personalized videos. Clips 3.0 brings support for vertical and horizontal videos and HDR recording with iPhone 12 devices, along with a refreshed interface.

Perhaps one of the biggest changes is Clips' support for multiple aspect ratios. The app can now record videos in 16:9 and 4:3 in addition to its square aspect ratio, which was previously the only option. All of those aspect ratios are available both in vertical and landscape orientations.

On iPhone, the app automatically opens your video in 16:9 while 4:3 is the default on iPad. In addition, you can record with filters, posters, Live Titles, and Selfie Scenes in new sizes. The share sheet feature has also been updated so that it now displays a video preview before sending and offers new export options in any supported size if you wish to share a video with friends.

Clips' redesigned interface for iPadOS supports the new Scribble feature to turn handwritten text into typed text. You can create and edit videos in landscape orientation as well, with support for Magic Keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse or trackpad.

With its new interface, the app now lets you swipe up for a full-screen view of all filters, stickers, emoji, and other effects. There's a refreshed record screen as well and you can now view more content with new Effects, Media, and Projects browsers. Additionally, there are eight new stickers, six additional arrows and shapes, and 25 fresh soundtracks that customize to the length of videos.

Finally, you can now record HDR videos using the back cameras of the iPhone 12 phones and share the clips as a Dolby Vision HDR file. Clips 3.0 is available to download today from the App Store.

• By indospot
      Netflix adds HDR10 support for new Samsung and TCL devices
      by João Carrasqueira

Smartphones with support for HDR have become increasingly more commonplace in recent years, and thus it's only natural that Netflix has to continually keep adding support for new devices as they come. The streaming service has now updated its support page yet again (via MSPoweruser) to add a number of devices to the supported list.

Most of the new devices come from Samsung's recent Unpacked event, including the GalaxyNote20, Note20 Ultra, Tab S7+, and Z Fold2. The Galaxy Z Flip 5G, announced a week before Unpacked, has also been added to the list. Interestingly, the regular Galaxy Tab S7 doesn't support HDR on Netflix. Aside from the new Samsung phones and tablet, TCL also has a couple of new devices on the list, the TCL 10 5G and the TCL 10 Plus, both of which were recently introduced.

Netflix also updated the list of devices that support streaming in HD resolution, which includes all of the devices above, plus the following:

Samsung Galaxy A21s Samsung Galaxy A31 Samsung Galaxy A41 Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Samsung Galaxy A71 5G Samsung Galaxy M31s Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 While you might assume any device with an HD and HDR display would support these features on Netflix, certain requirements have to be met, specifically support for DRM plug-ins like Widevine, which enable or restrict support for certain kinds of encrypted content. The OnePlus 5 and 5T infamously didn't support HD content in 2017, and according to the Netflix support page, the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro apparently don't support it either - though users claim it does work as intended.

• By fp1
      Some Pixel 3 and 3 XL users have reported HDR support in Netflix
      by Faheemmuddeen Patel

Avid Netflix users have reported seeing an HDR badge on supported content on Netflix. However, neither device has been added to Netflix's list of officially supported devices and the availability of HDR has not been attributed to a specific update. Additionally, not all Pixel 3 and 3 XL users can see the HDR badge suggesting that Netflix may be rolling out the feature to Pixel users in stages and is likely enabling it via a server-side switch.

Netflix supports the HDR10 standard on select Android devices. HDR screens allow for a higher dynamic contrast range, such that the whites can be brighter and the blacks can be darker, whilst at the same time displaying a wider color gamut. As far as I can tell, the Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL do not support HDR10, instead opting for 8-bit HDR which is why it may be absent from the officially supported devices list.

If you have either of these devices, is an HDR badge present on supported Netflix content for you? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Android Police

• By News Staff
      HDR Projects 2018 Pro for Windows or Mac discounted to just $29
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 70% off HDR Projects 2018 Pro for Windows or Mac. Create, Enhance, and Process incredible 4K HDR photos with this professional-grade photo editor.

What's the deal?
      HDR (high-dynamic-range) imaging is an innovative technique for perfecting photos. It displays a greater range of luminance levels that better represents what the human eye actually sees, letting you go beyond everyday photography. HDR Projects 2018 Pro provides new and innovative possibilities for your photos while choosing from an intelligently adaptive tool-set that is part of an efficient and transparent workflow. The fully equipped Professional-Toolbox grants you access to a collection of finely adjusted presets and expert filters, letting you arrange your favorite tools how you like to bring out the 4K resolution in your photos.

Choose from 155 expertly developed presets for awe-inspiring masterpieces Get clean HDR images without the intensification of image noise Use 103 image recommendations w/ HDR montages to perfect your photos Plug into Photoshop or Lightroom to work w/ more familiar filters Remove elements from one photo & add elements from another using the Composing function Never lose a file—HDR Projects never forgets what you upload Automatically optimize your photos w/ HDR Dynamics Optimization & Optimization Assistant Batch process image files from every possible photo source to implement wholesale changes Good to know
      Length of access: lifetime

Includes all minor updates

Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase

For a full description, specs, and license info, click here.

What's the benefit?
      HDR Projects 2018 Pro for Windows or Mac normally costs* of $99, but you can pick it up for just $29 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $70.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it here <<
      See all of our current Apps + Software · This is a time-limited offer that ends soon.

Save even more!
      Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts.

For every $50 spent, you get $5 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: through the popup offer, or subscribe to email updates at the bottom of the deals page in order to profit! Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerces privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerces own determination of retail pricing.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Netflix HDR now available on the LG G7 One and two top-tier Sony phones
      by Jay Bonggolto

High Dynamic Range (HDR) content offers a rich viewing experience for consumers. Netflix, being a popular video streaming provider, started to introduce HDR support to Android phones in 2017 including Samsung's Galaxy Note8 and the list was expanded with the addition of the Huawei P20, the Mate 10 Pro, and Sony's Xperia XZ2 earlier this year.

Today, the video streaming provider continues to grow the list of HDR-supported devices by adding the LG G7 One, Sony Xperia XZ3, and the Xperia XZ2 Premium to the roster. That means you will now be able to stream HDR content on those devices in addition to the existing lineup including the Galaxy S9, iPhone X, LG G7, and dozens of other premium phones. You may review Netflix's complete list of handsets with HDR support here.

The list noticeably includes less than twenty Android devices at present since there are a limited number of handsets capable of showing HDR content. Keep in mind, as usual, that you need a premium Netflix subscription, priced at $13.99 per month already bundled with 4K video streaming, to view content in HDR.

Source: Netflix via SlashGear