Upgrade advice

The new extreme processors are due out this summer and the release of the new processor set is also due out in a few months.  If you can wait, wait. 

If you're open to amd, Ryzen is actually a capable processor, I purely use amd because of the money I save overall, current rig is built around an fx6350 and have yet to see a game that brings it to it's knees.

Hell, even under video conversion with full blown 5.1 audio, it doesn't maxx out under task manager, surprisingly it doesn't cost the earth to run it neither. And Ryzen is supposed to address some of the concerns raised by fx chips.

15 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

If you're open to amd, Ryzen is actually a capable processor, I purely use amd because of the money I save overall, current rig is built around an fx6350 and have yet to see a game that brings it to it's knees.

Hell, even under video conversion with full blown 5.1 audio, it doesn't maxx out under task manager, surprisingly it doesn't cost the earth to run it neither. And Ryzen is supposed to address some of the concerns raised by fx chips.

Ryzen/Zen are good products, but FX/Bulldozer are not.

^ I had to log out to see this post, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Until something happens to make me change my mind I'll stand by what I said.

I NEVER said fx doesn't have any problems, I said I have never encountered any!

45 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

^ I had to log out to see this post, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Until something happens to make me change my mind I'll stand by what I said.

I NEVER said fx doesn't have any problems, I said I have never encountered any!

Something is wrong with your account.

On 5/17/2017 at 10:57 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Your Windows 10 License should not go through, as it is

a new CPU and Motherboard.

It shoudlnt....but does ;) 

keep your Win COA from the previous build and enter that in Win setup, it will install just fine and activate, done it on 4 rigs in the last 6 weeks (my own included) and it activates just dandy, ive tried a W7 pro OEM COA, Win 7 ultimate COA Retail and 8.1 pro on a different board, chip and ram, not a problem.

7 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Ye the Ryzen are the best AMD have offered, but they are not any cheaper than the 7th gens really, so the usual cheaper cost for sameish perf is not there. Deffo the best alternative they have built.

16 minutes ago, Mando said:

Ye the Ryzen are the best AMD have offered, but they are not any cheaper than the 7th gens really, so the usual cheaper cost for sameish perf is not there. Deffo the best alternative they have built.

Apart from the Threadripper (which I've no real knowledge about), I've found the differences on eBay quite comparable, fx vs flagship Intel counterparts. I know it's a tradeoff, but it's not as big a tradeoff as some loyalists here claim. 

That part bugs me is some 'loyalists' spout stuff they've heard or read about in regards to fx, In my experience, there wasn't that much there to separate them.

Like I said in another thread, if the difference was more than a few seconds under extreme load, I'd have kept quiet.

But I'm straying off topic, Intel does the job well, but so does amd.

52 minutes ago, Mando said:

It shoudlnt....but does ;) 

keep your Win COA from the previous build and enter that in Win setup, it will install just fine and activate, done it on 4 rigs in the last 6 weeks (my own included) and it activates just dandy, ive tried a W7 pro OEM COA, Win 7 ultimate COA Retail and 8.1 pro on a different board, chip and ram, not a problem.

That only works with the Pro and Ultimate editions. You can not do this with HomePremium or the like.

56 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That only works with the Pro and Ultimate editions. You can not do this with HomePremium or the like.

yes you can, i did it for my dads Windows 7 home premium retail key and it worked in exactly the same way as all the others ive done, infact nothing of the old machine was used, he got my old bits when i built the Kabylake in mysig. when your entering the key in windows setup, there is no internet connection etc and as soon as you go online, you see it auto-activates with a digital entitlement.

Edited by Mando

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Apart from the Threadripper (which I've no real knowledge about), I've found the differences on eBay quite comparable, fx vs flagship Intel counterparts. I know it's a tradeoff, but it's not as big a tradeoff as some loyalists here claim. 

That part bugs me is some 'loyalists' spout stuff they've heard or read about in regards to fx, In my experience, there wasn't that much there to separate them.

Like I said in another thread, if the difference was more than a few seconds under extreme load, I'd have kept quiet.

But I'm straying off topic, Intel does the job well, but so does amd.

oh dont get me wrong mate, im not saying the Ryzens are inferior, i was trying to say they are closer to the intel counterpart in this round than they ever have been, but they have also upped the cost so comparable perf for comparable money almost. that was always AMDs mindset, similar perf for less £, doesnt seem to be that way with Ryzen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mando said:

oh dont get me wrong mate, im not saying the Ryzens are inferior, i was trying to say they are closer to the intel counterpart in this round than they ever have been, but they have also upped the cost so comparable perf for comparable money almost. that was always AMDs mindset, similar perf for less £, doesnt seem to be that way with Ryzen.

Yes for now, it'll drop soon enough methinks, if their history of late is anything to go by, (they never hold their value for long, which is why they're loved by guys like me)

19 minutes ago, Mando said:

yes you can, i did it for my dads Windows 7 home premium retail key and it worked in exactly the same way as all the others ive done, infact nothing of the old machine was used, he got my old bits when i built the Kabylake in mysig. when your entering the key in windows setup, there is no internet connection etc and as soon as you go online, you see it auto-activates with a digital entitlement.

Or so I thought. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used to do that with 98/2000...

• Like 2

Retail will allow you to switch computers. Oem once registered to a computer you are technically not allowed to move it. Doesn't matter pro or home.

4 hours ago, Mando said:

I don't know about prices in the UK, but in the US prices are definitely cheaper (note MSRP prices).

Intel Core i7-7700K   $339

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X   $249

Intel Core i7-7700   $303

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X   $189

Intel Core i5-7600   $213

AMD Ryzen 5 1400   $169

11 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I don't know about prices in the UK, but in the US prices are definitely cheaper (note MSRP prices).

Intel Core i7-7700K   $339

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X   $249

Intel Core i7-7700   $303

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X   $189

Intel Core i5-7600   $213

AMD Ryzen 5 1400   $169

I would appreciate if you compare with Ryzen R7 prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

Retail will allow you to switch computers. Oem once registered to a computer you are technically not allowed to move it. Doesn't matter pro or home.

I thought with Retail, you can only move it to 2-3 computers... huh.

8 minutes ago, Zlip792 said:

I would appreciate if you compare with Ryzen R7 prices.

absolutely

*MSRP prices

Intel Core i7-6900K   $1089

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X   $499

Intel Core i7-6850K   $617

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X   $399

Intel Core i7-6800K   $434

AMD Ryzen 7 1700   $329

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought with Retail, you can only move it to 2-3 computers... huh.

I don't know what the limit is. But oem does not allow you to move. 

absolutely

*MSRP prices

Intel Core i7-6900K   $1089
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X   $499

Intel Core i7-6850K   $617
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X   $399

Intel Core i7-6800K   $434
AMD Ryzen 7 1700   $329

I think you fail. 7700k is new i7 top line processor. New models coming out in the 7000 series later this year.

1 hour ago, sc302 said:

I think you fail. 7700k is new i7 top line processor.

It is not.

The top of the line Intel Core i7 processor is the Intel Core i7-6950X   $1723.

New models coming out in the 7000 series later this year.

AMD is also releasing new processors with up to 16 cores for consumers later this year.

AMD-Threadripper.png

Edited by Mockingbird

On 5/17/2017 at 9:10 AM, patseguin said:

My current homebuilt rig is in my sig. If I recall, my Gulftown i7 extreme is coming up on 8 years old. Would I benefit from upgrading my mobo, ram, and cpu to a 7th gen i7? I do mostly 4K gaming and a lot of VR. Even though I have a 1080 video card, VR seems a little sluggish lately. I thought I read somewhere that VR benefitted somehow from current gen i7's.

So, I was thinking about getting a new combo of RAM, mobo, and CPU to stay with the times. I am open to Ryzen if it is a worthwhile upgrade from my aging Gulftown.

Any advice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulftown

As of 2015, Xeon 3600 and 5600 series Westmere-EP processors have become somewhat sought after as an upgrade route for older X58 motherboards.[8] In many cases, proper BIOS support has allowed users to fit these 6-core processors onto boards originally designed for 2 or 4-core processors. In fully threaded workloads, total system performance will increase by a value equal to the number of cores added (i.e. moving from a 4-core 2.6 GHz to a 6-core 2.6 GHz system would enable 50% more total processing power). With proper BIOS support and the correct supporting components, many users have reported substantial overclocking potential, often as high as 4.4 GHz while staying within Intel's maximum allowed voltages (no higher than 1.35v for the core or the uncore). For gaming, such a system is proving remarkably competitive against much newer, and usually more expensive processors; the supply of second-hand chips from decommissioned servers is finite, however.

I think you should hold off on a complete upgrade and consider targeted upgrades if you can source low cost CPU etc on ebay. (Your sig does not specify the exact CPU or power supply)

Most likely your current power supply is just fine.

Most of the replies are looking at specs but not really translating them to a subjective experience. For example a 960 Pro is monstrosly faster than your 850 on a benchmark but not really faster than an already fast device on day to day usage.

You could add RAM, upgrade CPU, add a water cooler to overclock, add a second Samsung 850 to RAID 0 the pair etc.

There is nothing about your config that would suggest the stuttering you are experiencing so that might need some specific attention.

(A 6 core i7 is a powerful CPU and the mobo will probably take 48 gigs of RAM and you have a fantastic GPU so it is really worth holding off until the end of the summer.)

• Like 1