Upgrade advice

There is no kaby lake or sky lake based extreme processor yet. That is due out in a few months. By the time you purchase that extreme processor, build your system and use it for a month, the new extreme processors are out. I will say it again, a bit more clearly. There are no current gen extreme processors to market yet that are marketed for vr, which is what he is looking for.

The most current gen processor that is available is kaby lake and the fastest processor is the 7700k.

10 hours ago, sc302 said:

I think you fail. 7700k is new i7 top line processor. New models coming out in the 7000 series later this year.

A bit harsh dude, maybe it was deserved (bravo), but come on you're a mod now, you represent the site as an authority figure now.

A bit harsh dude, maybe it was deserved (bravo), but come on you're a mod now, you represent the site as an authority figure now.

This by no means was an attack. It follows all rules. I was clarifying my point. If I were to attack someone, sure call me out. But I don't play games and try to duck under words or technicalities that will become irrelevant in a few months.

I havent bought AMD since the AMD64 3500 days - long time ago.

But i have built a couple AMD systems for gamers who wanted the most bang for their buck - 

It was the top of the line @ that time with a 980Ti grfx card - and it flew.

Think about this - most of the time - when people talk about the vast differences, its in some stupid benchmark - showing a delta in milliseconds, but the graph makes it look huge.

If you specc'd a machine out with AMD and all good stuff - it will fly, period.

I have 3 friends right now wanting new gaming systems, 2 will be AMD - the other is a repeat "customer" (I only do this for friends) - and he has no real budget restraints, so it will be balls to the wall, intel - per request.
The others will spend $1500 less - and the difference in gaming wont be huge.

So, take everything with a grain of salt when speaking to enthusiasts - remember many are the same type of people who will debate, and get upset, when discussing differences in thermal paste - when the difference is a couple degrees.  Think about that.

"Dude, Arctic Silver 5 sucks, the Dow Corning Diamond Uber Extreme X Nerd Edition totally pwns it in every benchmark !" - crap like that.

Just get good parts, and make it stable - thats all that matters. 

16 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

absolutely

*MSRP prices

Intel Core i7-6900K   $1089

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X   $499

Intel Core i7-6850K   $617

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X   $399

Intel Core i7-6800K   $434

AMD Ryzen 7 1700   $329

sigh...

Intel Core i7-7700K   $339

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X   $499

Even thought the R7 1800x has more cores the CPC is lower

17 hours ago, sc302 said:

Depending on combo, you can safely overclock the 7700k to 5GHz.

Yep my 7700k sits quite happily at 5ghz per core on its 115i GTX cooler...but ive ramped it back to stock to keep temps down a bit, not willing to push voltages on the chip atm. no need,no realworld performance difference, even matched to my clocked 1080ti 

to OP both will build a 4K capable gaming box, so pick your stable. :) 

17 hours ago, Mando said:

sigh...

Intel Core i7-7700K   $339

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X   $499

Even thought the R7 1800x has more cores the CPC is lower

Zen has the same per core performance as Broadwell.

$499 AMD Ryzen 7 1800X is the appropriate competitor to $1089 Intel Core i7-6900K