Printer Woes

this almost sounds like your issue (google search btw):

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=179888

then there is this (if you use cups):

https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-a-canon-printer-on-debian-and-debian-like-systems

You must explicitly grant permission for users to be able to print.

search term:

cant print Linux Mint Debian Edition canon

22 minutes ago, sc302 said:

this almost sounds like your issue (google search btw):

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=179888

then there is this (if you use cups):

https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-a-canon-printer-on-debian-and-debian-like-systems

You must explicitly grant permission for users to be able to print.

search term:

cant print Linux Mint Debian Edition canon

I tried both of those. They don't work. Both are Waaaaaay outdated.

I switched to wired on printer, same thing. It's getting data, but like Brandon says, it's getting data it can't read.

so that leads to a potential driver issue, try going back a version (or several) of the driver, try a different driver.  If you are sniffing traffic and can actually see print traffic hitting the printer from your computer, then it is a print driver issue...usually though, if garbage (due to a bad driver) is hitting the printer it prints out garbage.  flashing lights does not mean that data is hitting the printer, you need to sniff the network for it and see if the devices are handshaking/transferring data.  I think it is a permission issue or a firewall issue, possibly a service running issue and that the print job/print communication is not getting to the printer at all..where you can get ping (basic network communication) to it, but actually getting a print job to it or getting it to communicate on whatever canon tcp print port doesn't happen.

even things that are outdated are somewhat relate-able and can point you in some direction to look at.  can't tell you how many times I have found outdated information but gets me close to the area I need to be in.  

There is no (that I'm aware) previous version. I did, however find a open-source driver, but it is before this version. I.E. that was for version 220 printers, mine is a 227. Could be a totally new configuration.

It is, afaik, hitting the printer. I can see the green light flash, which means there is data being transferred. It just never gets to printing, not even garbled text.

There a way to test where the problem is here? I don't get any info. Are there logs I should be looking at?

They are outdated, in which, the depositories no longer hold that program, and/or has a newer version that does not work/buggy.

Have you explicitly given your user account permission to print? I haven't messed with Debian in a while, I asked a co-worker what they thought and they vaguely remember having to do this with any debian based distro. He found some info via google, but I think sc302 also found that. Have you tried hooking up directly to the printer to see if that functions works? (I know your dads works, but see if your machine can even print with the printer directly connected to it).

# adduser YOUR_NORMAL_ACCOUNT lpadmin

Canon UFR II driver version 320 supports the 220 series which is what you have, I believe.

Edited by Circaflex

mind@mind-lmde ~ $ sudo adduser mind lpadmin
[sudo] password for mind: 
The user `mind' is already a member of `lpadmin'.

Maybe create a tiny file with a control character such as "print test page" or even just a text file with "hello world"

Then copy the file to LPT

Objective is simplest possible test.

Whatever I hit at the printer, it gets confused and does nothing. Test page, libreoffice paper, everything.

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Whatever I hit at the printer, it gets confused and does nothing. Test page, libreoffice paper, everything.

I think that my suggestion was different.

A file copy of "hello" in a terminal window to /dev/lpt1 or whatever it is should bypass huge parts of the printer driver that does graphics rendering.

11 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I think that my suggestion was different.

A file copy of "hello" in a terminal window to /dev/lpt1 or whatever it is should bypass huge parts of the printer driver that does graphics rendering.

Sorry, I took that wrong. :/

I tried that, nothing happens. :huh:

Just now, sc302 said:

Blinking lights mean nothing, absolutely nothing.   Sit there for a minute without doing anything and it should blink at least once. 

Would there be any benefit to plugging the printer into OPs computer directly and seeing if it will even print through that method? Just to see if OPs unit will indeed send the correct commands?

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Blinking lights mean nothing, absolutely nothing.   Sit there for a minute without doing anything and it should blink at least once. 

On the printer it does. Has a little light that flashes, underneath says "Processing/Data"

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Sorry, I took that wrong. :/

I tried that, nothing happens. :huh:

Maybe try making a file with a few control chars such as FormFeed, EndOfFile etc

The blinking light usually means the printer is receiving data. So even if the data is garbage if the printer can see EndOfFile it might do something...

it is that intelligent. If so, driver issue. But if it is a link light with a data light, the data light will blink occasionally as the printer talks to the broadcast address.  Printers also have bonjoir enabled which is chatty on the network. 

If it goes to processing job and quits it is definitely driver related. Either your system doesn't support it for the driver doesn't support your system properly. 

Call canon support. 

Yeah, well, guess what, it isn't working.

Just NOW, my Dad can't print... Today is a sad day...

1 minute ago, sc302 said:

Call support. Roll back the driver on your dads computer. Check your ip on the printer, make sure it didn't change. 

SC? How many times must I say this? There is no foreseeable previous version of these drivers. Just has one for Linux.

1 minute ago, sc302 said:

That you have access to. 

What does that mean?

Read my edit. Don't blatantly ask them for a driver, ask for help. If there is a dev or other version they might supply it. 

The newest driver on Canons website is 3.31, have you tried loading 3.20 and see if that works? 3.20 supports mf2xx series.

I found 3.20 still hosted here, https://rebyte.me/en/canon/139817/file-1381021/

Did you by chance use install.sh the first time? Apparently, the forum i found that file, recommends against doing just that. using install.sh apparently breaks many functions and leads to headaches, they recommended the following:

apt install cups gdebi
 adduser $(whoami) lpadmin

tar -C /tmp -xf linux-UFRII*.tar.gz
 cd /tmp/linux-UFRII*/64*/Debian/

sudo gdebi cndrvcups-common*amd64.deb
 sudo gdebi cndrvcups-ufr2*amd64.deb

logoff and logon.

How do I get 3.2? I thought they had only the latest version, no?

Your time has to be worth something.

Perhaps consider purchasing a printer that has excellent Linux support if such a thing exists. Ther must be Linux sites that review hardware from a Linux support point of view?

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

Your time has to be worth something.

Perhaps consider purchasing a printer that has excellent Linux support if such a thing exists. Ther must be Linux sites that review hardware from a Linux support point of view?

There is: http://www.openprinting.org/printers/