Printer Woes

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Google for it and find someone that is still hosting it? Come on now...

Found an older one I downloaded earlier this year, was version 3.0. I try to install them, but it says I have a later version. So will I need to delete those newer drivers?

I don't know if that version supports your printer, the oldest version that was recommended was 3.2 which added support for MF2xx series printers. If you want to try that other one, go for it, but it isn't my recommendation. yes, clear out the previous set you had installed.

It was the version i used earlier, man. It worked just fine.

No help... Deleted old drivers, installed the 3.0 version. Printer wasn't even detecting data..

Can you please just try hooking up the printer via USB and doing the same setup, minus it being a network printer to see if you can even print that way.

My router, as I posted awhile ago, does not do printers through USB. Only for Storage Data.

I'll try USB at my last resort. If I can't even do that, I'll see if I can give it to my Mom. Her Lexmark sucs d***...  And just get a new printer, and be 10000% sure that it is Linux compatible.

11 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

My router, as I posted awhile ago, does not do printers through USB. Only for Storage Data.

I'll try USB at my last resort. If I can't even do that, I'll see if I can give it to my Mom. Her Lexmark sucs d***...  And just get a new printer, and be 10000% sure that it is Linux compatible.

@Circaflex didn't say plug into the router Mind. He advised take the network out of the equation and plug the printer directly to your computer via usb to see if it will print or not.

I agree this may be a good test at this point to see if the driver is functioning on your computer at all.

• Like 3

I'll try that later today.  If I can't even get this working, the driver is bad.

Edit: Damn, I misread that. Things happen when you keep up late at night...

OK.... I connected via USB. Went to add printer, found it right away, applied it, printed test page...............................................................................................................................................................................

Nothing prints. I think the problem is between the printer and computer. Should have nothing to do with driver, as the system can see it, but can't access it.

Nothing prints. Going to say it is still the driver with the os. Has nothing to do with your specific hardware, I think. Test by loading another os on it.

1 minute ago, sc302 said:

Nothing prints. Going to say it is still the driver with the os. Has nothing to do with your specific hardware. Test by loading another os on it.

I agree, it screams driver issue IMO; but only way to know is try a different OS. I recommended this a few pages ago, but use one of the harddrives you were going to toss/re-purpose and load a different Distro to test. Or look at the error logs located in /var/log/cups/error.log and see where it is failing.

now that your direct connected to the computer try uninstalling the Cannon driver and see if the generic open-source driver will print. if this works you should be able to network connect the printer to your router with an ethernet cord and it should work. the open-source driver is only missing wireless connection capabilities.

13 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

now that your direct connected to the computer try uninstalling the Cannon driver and see if the generic open-source driver will print. if this works you should be able to network connect the printer to your router with an ethernet cord and it should work. the open-source driver is only missing wireless connection capabilities.

Everytime I go to install it, it says "looking for drivers" and then closes a few seconds later. Both on USB and ethernet.

OK, updates...

I'm now running Mint 18.1 MATE. Was previously running LMDE2. So I guess it was the driver, or whatever.

It no longer matters, I got the printer back in working order.

*fingers LMDE2*