IE 11 Tabs Closing Automatically

cbrookhart

I am experiencing a persistent and daily issue with Internet Explorer 11 on the computer I use at work, 

I'm conducting searches on a website. I'll have an Excel spreadsheet open with the list of names and the information associated with those names that I am looking for. Once I find the information I need, I'll right click the link and select 'open in new tab.' Almost immediately, the newly opened tab will close on it's own. Sometimes this happens once a day, sometimes it happens several times a day. I've begun tracking the frequency of this issue, and so far the record is 10 times in one day. Sometimes, even just scrolling through the website that I accessing for the research results in the tab closing on it's own. This doesn't seem to happen if I access a regular website like Neowin, Fox, CNN, etc. 

The only other browser available to use is Firefox, but with not having the ability to actually view a PDF file (Firefox can only save a PDF unless a plugin is installed to view the PDF). The computer setup is as follows:

The base OS is Linux, and then a Windows 7 Enterprise Virtual Machine is accessed, and it's within Windows where I am doing all of my work. Recently, a newly updated Virtual Machine environment was pushed out for the end user, but it still has Windows 7 Enterprise on it. On both the old and new systems, I experienced issues with my tabs closing. Suspecting that it may be a browser add-on causing the problem, I ran IE 11 without add-ons enabled, but it didn't help. Supposedly, another new Virtual Machine with Windows 10 is in the process of getting built for use; but that won't be available for another couple of months.

Any ideas for a solution, either from an admin side or the user side, that will resolve this issue? Solutions that have already been tried without success include:

-- Running IE without add-ons

-- Resetting IE back to defaults

-- Resetting user profile on the network

Jazmac

After you cleared the browser cache, assuming you did the full clear, ie. Internet Options, Advanced tab, Then Restore advanced settings, button. Click apple. Then click Reset button. Check the delete personal settings check box, then reset.  Of course after you restart the browser, you need to go back in and enable the standard browser add-ons?  Adobe reader, Shockwave, etc, the stuff IE needs to do its work on the net.  I would also clear the Java cache.  While you're at it, you might click start and in the dialog box type in %temp% enter and delete everything in there not in use. 

Open a dos window and do ipconfig /flushdns.

oldtimefighter

No idea why your tabs are closing but I have other questions...

Did you ask IT to look at it?

Why are you even using IE? How about Chrome?

What version of Firefox are you using? It has had the ability to read PDFs for a long time now.

cbrookhart
No idea why your tabs are closing but I have other questions...

Did you ask IT to look at it?
Why are you even using IE? How about Chrome?
What version of Firefox are you using? It has had the ability to read PDFs for a long time now.

Yes, I did ask IT about it. I've contacted them many times about the same issue. They honestly have no idea why it's happening, as it's something that they haven't seen before. They don't know how to fix it, so I thought maybe someone here would have some new ideas.

I'll have to check on the Firefox version, but as I mentioned; it's IE and Firefox that I have available to work with. How would Chrome be deployed in a virtual machine environment? Each time I login, I get a different machine.
techbeck

Scan for malware?  If you ran IE with no addons, that would rule out a 3rd party popup blocker or toolbar.    I would also log on to the PC as another user, if you can, to rule out a local profile issue.  I have run in to IE issue where the only fix was to delete the local win profile.  But make sure to backup data if you do.

cbrookhart
Scan for malware?  If you ran IE with no addons, that would rule out a 3rd party popup blocker or toolbar.    I would also log on to the PC as another user, if you can, to rule out a local profile issue.  I have run in to IE issue where the only fix was to delete the local win profile.  But make sure to backup data if you do.

I've talked with some of my co workers, and they have experienced the same problem. They only thing is, they don't report the issue to IT, so it appears from an IT standpoint that it's an individual user issue.
oldtimefighter
13 minutes ago, cbrookhart said:

Yes, I did ask IT about it. I've contacted them many times about the same issue. They honestly have no idea why it's happening, as it's something that they haven't seen before. They don't know how to fix it, so I thought maybe someone here would have some new ideas.

I'll have to check on the Firefox version, but as I mentioned; it's IE and Firefox that I have available to work with. How would Chrome be deployed in a virtual machine environment? Each time I login, I get a different machine.

You don't logon to the same VM machine? I assume other co-workers do the same work as you so it makes no sense you only have that problem. How could Chrome be deployed in a virtual machine environment? Installed to the VM image just like Firefox.

Firefox has supported viewing PDFs for years now and I can't believe they would have you use a version that old.

oldtimefighter
4 minutes ago, cbrookhart said:

I've talked with some of my co workers, and they have experienced the same problem. They only thing is, they don't report the issue to IT, so it appears from an IT standpoint that it's an individual user issue.

You need to get your co-workers to report it.

techbeck
5 minutes ago, cbrookhart said:

I've talked with some of my co workers, and they have experienced the same problem.

Then I would let IT know that.  Things like this tend to be forgotten about if it is just one person having the issue.  Especially if there are more pressing things going on. 

cbrookhart
You need to get your co-workers to report it.

Since IT has claimed that they've done all they can and there isn't a fix for it, IT doesn't want to be contacted about it anymore.

The funny thing is, they want me to contact them when it happens so that they can see the issue first hand and get a better idea of what's going on. This isn't an issue I can replicate ok demand. IT would have to remote in and watch me work.

I suppose one workaround I could try is to simply open the link in a new window. I'll just have to keep track of the windows I've got open.

I'm thinking that this could be some sort of resource issue like not enough memory, because there's significant lag when typing data in a cell or trying to select a portion of data in the cell and then pressing delete.
cbrookhart

Since IT has claimed that they've done all they can and there isn't a fix for it, IT doesn't want to be contacted about it anymore.

The funny thing is, they want me to contact them when it happens so that they can see the issue first hand and get a better idea of what's going on. This isn't an issue I can replicate ok demand. IT would have to remote in and watch me work.

I suppose one workaround I could try is to simply open the link in a new window. I'll just have to keep track of the windows I've got open.

I'm thinking that this could be some sort of resource issue like not enough memory, because there's significant lag when typing data in a cell or trying to select a portion of data in the cell and then pressing delete.

I have Firefox 50.1.0 on the work computer. I click a link that has a PDF attached to it and instead of being able to view it like I can in IE, I'm prompted to save the document.
oldtimefighter
54 minutes ago, cbrookhart said:

I have Firefox 50.1.0 on the work computer. I click a link that has a PDF attached to it and instead of being able to view it like I can in IE, I'm prompted to save the document.

Copy this to the address bar on FF --> about:preferences#applications

What action is set for PDF? Set it to "Preview in Firefox".

cbrookhart
Copy this to the address bar on FF --> about:preferences#applications

What action is set for PDF? Set it to "Preview in Firefox".

The action is set to "use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox). I'm not able to change this.

With this setting, any PDF that is accessed in Firefox will result in a prompt to save. I want to see what it is I'm saving.
oldtimefighter
19 minutes ago, cbrookhart said:

The action is set to "use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox). I'm not able to change this.

With this setting, any PDF that is accessed in Firefox will result in a prompt to save. I want to see what it is I'm saving.

I don't understand why you can't change that setting. I don't even think you need admin rights for that. Tell you IT dept. you want to open PDFs in FF. If you have this little control over these VM machines there is no way you can fix this yourself.

cbrookhart

Prior to writing the original post, Firefox would automatically prompt to save a PDF, regardless of what the setting was in the options. Today, my IT remoted into my computer and searched Google for a test PDF site. Without anything having been changed, Firefox all the sudden decided to show the test PDF as well as the PDFs from the site that I am doing my daily work from. Later in the afternoon and again without anything having been changed (except for deleting browser history and cookies), the PDF viewing option stopped working. Additionally, Firefox decided to start saving the PDFs as a PL file even though in the 'save as type' dialog box, the file type was PDF. 

Once I logged out the current VM and logged into a new one, Firefox started saving PDFs properly, but I could still only save them rather than view them in the browser. Once my IT had a free moment, they remoted into the computer again. Without anything having been changed, PDFs were being viewed in the browser.

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm

isn't tabs closing automatically just one of the ie processes crashing?

anyway my guess it's somehing to do with your strange setup, why are you doing work on windows 7 in a virtual machine on linux? security concerns?

cbrookhart
isn't tabs closing automatically just one of the ie processes crashing?

anyway my guess it's somehing to do with your strange setup, why are you doing work on windows 7 in a virtual machine on linux? security concerns?

Like many organizations (at least ones I've worked for), they used Windows 7. When 8 and 8.1 came out, they chose to skip deployment of that. Windows 10 and this virtual machine environment are in the process of being built and won't be ready until September.
ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm

but why in virtual machine on linux?

cbrookhart
but why in virtual machine on linux?

That's just the way it's setup. All the work I do is in Windows, and it really would be better for there to be networked Windows machines.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: More updates, better productivity, and the launch of Flight Simulator
      by Florin Bodnarescu

It’s been a rather big week, especially for Flight Simulator enthusiasts, since Microsoft’s latest entry in the series was officially made available. Furthermore, updates to Windows 10 and Edge popped up too, as did some Office enhancements. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of August 15 - 21.

More updates

As is often the case, Microsoft can’t quite stop itself from updating Windows 10, so folks running versions 1809, 1903, and 1909 have received a bunch of mid-stream updates this week. One of the more important aspects of this wave of updates is the backporting of the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2) to versions 1903 and 1909, a feature previously exclusive to the May 2020 Update (version 2004). Either way, here’s what you need to look out for if you’re running any of the three versions mentioned previously:

May 2019 Update/November 2019 Update (1903/1909): KB4566116, builds 18362.1049 (1903)/18363.1049 (1909) – contains updates for the issue which caused the HDD to fill up in certain error situations, updates time zone info for Yukon, Canada, fixes error 15612 with Microsoft Gaming Services, and more. Luckily, there are no known issues. October 2018 Update (1809): KB4571748, build 17763.1432 – pretty much identical changelog to the versions above, with the exception of the fix for the HDD filling up and the Microsoft Gaming Services bug. Known issue: After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error “0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND.”; After installing KB4550969 or later, when using Edge Legacy, you might receive the error “0x800704006. Hmmmm…can’t reach this page” when attempting to reach websites on non-standard ports. Any website that uses a port listed in the Fetch Standard specification under bad ports or port blocking might cause this issue. There was some activity in the Insider Program too, with Microsoft stating that Windows 10 20H2 is ready for commercial testing, which suggests ISOs may arrive soon.

As far as the other Insider channel is concerned, testers got to play with build 20197 of the vNext branch, which brought a very early (and very rough) Disk Management capability to the Settings app. There’s naturally a very long list of fixes to go with the arrival of the build, including fixes for issues with ALT+Tabbing to a browser tab or bugchecks citing a hyperguard violation. Quite a few known issues remain.

There is however some good news for those eager to grab the May 2020 Update, as more blocks have been lifted, which should allow many more people to finally install version 2004. In even more good news, Microsoft has just fixed a security flaw first reported in 2018.

Better productivity

Folks using Microsoft's various productivity apps, in other words the Office suite, and Office-adjacent offerings like Teams, have gotten some updates to play with this week, too.

First and foremost, the suggested replies feature for Outlook on the web has gotten a suggested attachments option, which does exactly what it says on the tin. These are suggested files that the service pulls from OneDrive, and it chooses what to recommend based on the content of the email.

Staying on the web but switching apps, we arrive at Excel, which now has Workbook Link support. This allows users to paste direct links to data from other workbooks, just like the native applications, but without needing to fall back to them.

Last but not least is Teams, which now has 3x3 grid view support for iPads, and allows you to customize the sidebar by choosing which apps you’d prefer to have pinned. You can search for apps you want to pin, and you can also pin apps beside the formatting options for your messages.

The launch of Flight Simulator

We couldn’t have ended the week without taking some time to acknowledge the launch of Microsoft Flight Simulator, sans a number. This is the first entry in the series in nearly a decade and a half – not counting the ill-received and rather lackluster 2012 Microsoft Flight game -, so it’s cause for celebration.

Arriving from French dev Asobo Studio, and published by Xbox Game Studios, Flight Simulator seeks to be, much like Halo Infinite, a platform of sorts, with content constantly added throughout its lifespan. The sim debuted on August 18, but did have some known issues and download problems. Despite this, the game managed to hit a very respectable 92 rating on Metacritic, with much of the praise directed towards its incredible visuals and array of gameplay settings and tweaks.

Following the release, the first public SDK was made available, as was a new Partnership Series update – highlighting Bing Maps -, as well as the first episode of the Around the World Tour series.

As this is published by Microsoft, it’s of course available via Game Pass (though only in its Standard flavor), along with Spiritfarer, Battletoads, Darksiders: Genesis, Crossing Souls, Don’t Starve: Giant Edition, and New Super Lucky’s Tale, on PC. Also on PC, coming August 27 is Tell Me Why: Chapter One and Hypnospace Outlaw, followed by Wasteland 3 and Double Kick Heroes on August 28, Crusader Kings III on September 1, and Resident Evil 7 Biohazard on September 3.

Switching to the console subscription, Spritfarer, Battletoads, Don’t Starve: Giant Edition, and New Super Lucky’s Tale can be played now, with Tell Me Why: Chapter One, Hypnospace Outlaw, Wasteland 3, Double Kick Heroes, and Resident Evil 7 Biohazard dropping on the same days as their PC counterparts.

It's worth highlighting the games leaving the subscription too. On both Xbox and PC, you’ll say goodbye to Creature in the Well on August 31, while Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams – Director’s Cut, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 HD, Metro: Last Light Redux, and The Jackbox Party Pack 3 will also be leaving the console subscription on the same day.

On September 1, NBA 2K20 will leave the console subscription, as will Red Dead Redemption 2, but the latter will do so on September 7.

In more first-party news, Sea of Thieves now has a new summer update focusing on live events, Halo 3: ODST Insider testing has gone live across PC and Xbox One, and Minecraft now has a new Jurassic World DLC.

Flipping over to services, Microsoft has shown off the new software experience for the Xbox Series X, which will also translate across phones, PC, and the Xbox One, while also reportedly gearing up to add multi-device login support to Xbox Live.

Lastly, it’s probably prudent to mention that the Monster Energy and Halo Infinite promo that’s set to start September 1 may have leaked the price of the Series X. There are 200 first prizes awarded, at $599.99 each. That includes both the Series X and a copy of Halo Infinite, and by subtracting the $59.99 for the game, we arrive at $540. That said, it’s unlikely Microsoft will settle for this as the final price, since it’s a bit of a random number.

Dev channel
      Microsoft shares more details about the Surface Duo’s camera app and features. A benchmark for the Duo has been spotted, showing the device slightly outperforms other Snapdragon 855 devices. This Windows 10 setup script lets you fine-tune around 150 functions for new installs. Panos Panay is now a member of the Sonos board of directors. The SwiftKey Beta on Android now has a cursor for navigating text. Remote Desktop Mobile on iOS now has new features and bug fixes. Trove, a Microsoft Garage app, has begun its fourth sweepstakes round after its recent launch. Logging off
      As has been the case for a couple of weeks before, we’re ending the column with a bit of news regarding Edge, while also throwing in some IE-related developments for good measure.

For one, folks in the Edge Dev channel should by now be familiar with this week’s build, namely 86.0.608.2, which adds improved dark mode support for default form controls like dropdown menus and calendars (in the webpages that use them). Naturally, custom form controls will not be affected.

On the Canary side, you’re now able to sort your Collections in alphabetical order, or by date, if you so prefer. Collections, for those not familiar, are essentially repositories for links, notes, lists, images, and whatever else you find relevant to well, collect from the web. Exporting to Word, Excel, and even OneNote is also possible.

Last but not least, we should touch upon the faith of the old version of Edge, as well as Internet Explorer 11. Support for UWP Edge, Spartan Edge, regular Edge, or as Microsoft calls it, Legacy Edge, will cease on March 9, 2021. By that point, everybody should have Chromium Edge, as it’s set to ship with Windows 10 20H2 later this year.

Also later this year, namely on November 30, web-based Office services like Teams will stop supporting IE11. The rest of Microsoft 365 is set to stop supporting the browser altogether on August 17, 2021. The presence of IE Mode in the new Edge browser is likely why Microsoft has decided to just drop support for IE entirely.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      New CSS-based vulnerability crashes iPhone, freezes Microsoft Edge, Safari, and IE
      by Usama Jawad

iPhones crashing when rendering specific text and opening links isn't anything new, however, the issue is a bit more severe if the problematic content in question isn't malicious in any other way and affects more than one class of devices. Recently, a CSS-based web attack has been discovered which crashes iPhones and causes web browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, and Safari to crash when a webpage hosting the specific CSS code format is rendered.

Security researcher Sabri Haddouche has posted a proof-of-concept webpage that affects a myriad of software on various devices. The webpage in question contains only 15 lines of code and you can check out the webpage here at your own risk.

Haddouche's research mentions that the problem affects browsers utilizing Apple's web rendering engine WebKit, which has difficulty loading multiple elements in a backdrop filter property in CSS. Loading the webpage uses up all of the device's resources, which causes a device restart due to kernel panic.

A bit of sleuthing from Neowin has also revealed that the problem doesn't only affect WebKit browsers, but also results in temporary freezing on Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11. The following error message can be seen on Microsoft Edge after a few seconds:

Interestingly, the problematic CSS code does not affect Google Chrome, which instantly loads the page without a hitch. Furthermore, it is important to note that the issue only leaves your device vulnerable to crashing or freezing, and does not result in the loss of sensitive data. We have reached out to Microsoft and Apple regarding the bug and will update if the companies respond.

Have you tested Haddouche's webpage in any other browser? If so, does it also crash? Let us know in the comments section below!

• By Alley Cat
      I meet the system requirements for "Sea of Thieves" on my custom built gaming desktop.  My video card has DX 11, listed as a requirement for the game.

But I want to continue using Windows 7, I had nothing but a crap experience with Win 8.1 then 10, on my laptop.  I really hate Win 10.

Why wouldn't it be possible to run SoT on my desktop?
      Can I fool an installer than I am running Win 10 ?

• By Peridot
      Windows Longhorn Revival Project 

About The Project
      The Windows Longhorn Revival Project is a project to bring the Longhorn Hillel/Aero/Protoplex Concepts to life. Almost every app including the sidebar, Start menu, Explorer, and the Internet Explorer will be developed in WPF. 

Screenshots

Todo List

Finish up the Internet Explorer Start on the explorer Find resources(Images/buttons/etc) for the apps Port it to other versions of Windows (Windows 8-10 it should work on vista also I think)  
      Progress

Internet explorer: 40%
      Explorer: 0%
      Start Menu: 0%
      Sidebar: 0%

If you guys want to help me find some of the resources or help me with the Apps just let me know because doing this all by myself is fun and all but it would be helpful if people would help me with this projects.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft Edge and IE11 to block websites using SHA-1 certificates next year
      by Usama Jawad

SHA-1 is a hashing algorithm that has been used extensively since it was published in 1995, however, it is no longer considered secure. It was deemed vulnerable to attacks from well-funded adversaries back in 2005 and was replaced by SHA-2 and SHA-3 which are considerably more secure hashing functions. Many companies including Google, Mozilla, and Microsoft have already announced that they'll stop accepting SHA-1 TLS certificates by 2017.

Now, Microsoft has detailed how numerous websites, users, and third-party applications will be affected once the company deprecates SHA-1 signed certificates starting February 14, 2017.

Microsoft states that in an effort to further enhance security features on Edge and Internet Explorer 11, the two browsers will prevent sites using SHA-1 signed certificates from loading and will display an "invalid certificate" warning. While it isn't recommended, users will have the option to bypass the warning and access the potentially vulnerable website. The company has clarified that this will only impact websites with SHA-1 signed certificates that link to a Microsoft Trusted Root CA, while manually installed enterprise or self-signed SHA-1 certificates will remain unaffected.

The Redmond giant states that developers who have installed the latest 2016 November Windows updates can test if their websites will be affected by the change. The detailed procedure can be viewed in the company's blog post here.

Microsoft has clarified that third-party Windows applications utilizing the Windows cryptographic API set or older versions of Internet Explorer will not be affected by the changes. Similarly, the update will not prevent clients from using the SHA-1 certificate in client authentication.

Regarding cross-signed certificates, Microsoft has explicitly confirmed that Windows will only check if the thumbprint of the root certificate is in the Microsoft Trusted Root Certified Program. The company has clarified that certificates "cross-signed with a Microsoft Trusted Root that chains to an enterprise/self-signed root" will not be affected by the changes next year.

Source: Microsoft