11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

How do you turn off/silence/remove MSN news feed when opening new windows for Edge?

Setting "Open new tabs with" is at is says only when opening new tabs in an existing window and that setting works as expected.

I want to keep the setting "Open Microsoft Edge with"  as "Previous pages", because I want to resume where I left off.

Registry hacks are ok.

How to replicate: ctrl + n when in Edge

This is for Edge on Windows 10 Creators update.

I am not in a Windows 10 PC now. But I'll answer what I can find.

NO need for registry hacks. Just click on the settings cog on the top right of the page and you will be able to disable it. 
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/msn-news-feed-edge-browser

As for opening with previous pages, use the set tabs aside feature and restore them later. I am not sure whether there is an option, I can't say until I get on a W10 PC.

How to replicate Ctrl+n?? Its the same shortcut for opening a new window in Edge

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't that to work.  When opening a new window, I click on the cog  to the right above the feed and I see what the image in the link says. There exist no option to turn the feed off in that settings view, only options to enable/disable cards and pick favourite topics.

I have a vague memory  that you could turn the feed of in that cog settings view before installing creators update.

yes, ctrl+n is a new window and the MSN feed only shows when opening a new windows.

when opening a new tab with ctrl+t Edge respects the setting "A blank page" for "Open new tabs with" .

You disable it in the Edge settings, not with the 'gear' on the MSN page.  You can either set the page to be a custom URL or New Tab Page. If you use New Tab Page as the startup, it will work as if you hit ctrl+t.

Capture2.PNG

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, but I like to keep the setting "Previous pages" as I wrote in my opening post. Is it impossible to combine "Previous pages" and no MSN feed?

Why do I want to keep the Previous pages setting?

Because sometimes I shut off the computer in a rush, or the power goes out or Windows 10 decides to reboot after an update. I like to remember what I was reading.

Then set it to New Tab Page and restart Edge. Then navigate to a few pages and set it back to Previous Pages. No more MSN Feed

I can't get that to work either. It works for the first window when Edge is not running, however when you already have one window started correctly and you open a new windows on top of that, it goes back to MSN feed again.

I also tried setting home page to something else, it does not matter.

Don't know what else to say then. Works as expected for me. I never see the MSN page, I have previous pages set with a new tab page as blank. Doesn't matter how many pages or tabs I navigate to, it always opens back up the same way it was when I closed it. 

Okay, thanks for your efforts.

I'm going to try to set it New Tag page and reboot this machine and see if and I get it to work with a clean slate without any tabs or cruft.

To re-create the issue:

1) Set "Open Microsoft Edge with" to "Previous pages", and "Open new tabs with" to Blank or Top Sites.

2) Have only one tab open and close that tab - Edge will completely close.

Now when you open Edge, it will open with the MSN feed.

Or, just open a second instance of Edge - it will open using the MSN feed.