Run separate environments from the same machine

Anyway to make it so 1 pc is running a separate environment per monitor without a vm?

My step dad is moving in and my mom doesn't want two computers in her room.

So one monitor on his desk, the other being the bedroom's tv. I don't want to extend the monitors because they're far apart. I don't want to duplicate the displays so he can still work/she can watch tv at the same time, also the screens are two different resolutions.

So I want each monitor to see it's own content, and when you click an application within that monitor it opens on that monitor rather than the "main display"

On 6/27/2017 at 2:04 PM, Chay Meredith said:

Anyway to make it so 1 pc is running a separate environment per monitor without a vm?

My step dad is moving in and my mom doesn't want two computers in her room.

So one monitor on his desk, the other being the bedroom's tv. I don't want to extend the monitors because they're far apart. I don't want to duplicate the displays so he can still work/she can watch tv at the same time, also the screens are two different resolutions.

So I want each monitor to see it's own content, and when you click an application within that monitor it opens on that monitor rather than the "main display"

Im mostly just a lurker on this forum, but i just went through this same exact issue at my parents house. 

There are options for this if you invest time and money into the existing systems or purchase a more capable system to do the job. Im not sure about your existing HTPC setup so I can't make that call. But it will boil down to using virtualization and PCI pass through for video and USB devices. 

Your other option is to purchase an Intel NUC or gigabyte brix style pc. They are tiny pc's and with the right monitor you might even be able to mount it to the back of the display. This is the route I went at my parents place.  

With a wireless kb/mouse and wifi/Bluetooth adapter in the unit, the only cables coming off of the pc is a power adapter and display cable. 

Edited by Sch3mz