Unable to create new folders in explorer on any drive

This issue just suddenly appeared, and I can not figure out why. I no longer can right click and choose new... and choose folder or anything else for that matter. When I try and hit the button on the ribbon for new folder, nothing happens. The only way I can create a new folder is using command prompt and typing MD. I just ran DISM/SFC and the files that were reported were:

2017-07-02 12:12:01, Info                  CSI    0000575e [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction

2017-07-02 12:12:01, Info                  CSI    0000575f [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msmpeg2vdec.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:02, Info                  CSI    00005762 [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imageres.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    00005766 [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    0000576b [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfds.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    0000576d [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfmpeg2srcsnk.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    0000576f [SR] Repair complete
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    00005770 [SR] Committing transaction
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    00005774 [SR] Unable to complete Verify and Repair transaction because some of the files that need to be repaired are in use. A reboot is required to complete this operation.
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    00005775 [SR] Repairing 5 components
2017-07-02 12:12:03, Info                  CSI    00005776 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2017-07-02 12:12:04, Info                  CSI    00005777 [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msmpeg2vdec.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:05, Info                  CSI    0000577a [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imageres.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:05, Info                  CSI    0000577e [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:05, Info                  CSI    00005781 [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfds.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:05, Info                  CSI    00005783 [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfmpeg2srcsnk.dll from store
2017-07-02 12:12:06, Info                  CSI    00005785 [SR] Repair complete

Any idea as to why I can not create new folders now? This is win10 pro x64 fully up to date.

Upon reboot I re-ran SFC and it is reporting no errors, however the issue still persists.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

Lol you have more computer problems then anyone I know. You have got to stop tinkering/messing with stuff like the registry or installing crappy 3rd party apps.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Lol you have more computer problems then anyone I know. You have got to stop tinkering/messing with stuff like the registry or installing crappy 3rd party apps.

Not even close, I present to you, sarabhdua. :p

It's one of the best forms of education. Break something and you've just learned the hard way not to do that.

I was exactly the same with xp, (I wasn't a member back then, but could still read up on neowin if someone else had advice..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Does ctrl-shift-n work to create a folder?

No

37 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I don't tinker or install 3rd party apps.

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Not even close, I present to you, sarabhdua. :p

It's one of the best forms of education. Break something and you've just learned the hard way not to do that.

I was exactly the same with xp, (I wasn't a member back then, but could still read up on neowin if someone else had advice..

I remember installing malware on purpose in a VM so I could find out what was affected and write a script to fix it for a friend that has the malware on his pc :p

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seahorsepip said:

I remember installing malware on purpose in a VM so I could find out what was affected and write a script to fix it for a friend that has the malware on his pc  because I hated his fricken guts, and wished to see his balls in a blender:p

FTFY :p

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

FTFY :p

So does anyone have any constructive ideas where I should look? Not that installing malware isn't constructive...

• Like 1

SubInACL  is a tool I've used to correct permissions, might be worth a look

I don't think that it is a permissions issue, as every drive is affected. I am almost thinking that it might be a group policy setting, but I have never messed with gpedit, and unless it is a virus/malware, which is again highly unlikely, since I have MWB AND Kaspersky running and have done scans with both and nothing comes up.

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Is nuking, and starting over not viable?

It is a viable option, However I would really like to know wtf caused this problem. I have not done any tweaking or installing of 3rd party programs like @xendrome was so quick to try and point out and blame. Like I said this just started happening and nothing major has happened prior to it, so that is why I am at a complete and total lose.

If you have done nothing to the PC but used it normally, and suddenly all the drives are exhibiting the same problem, it sounds like some recently installed software or driver messed up the registry.  How many physical disk drives do you have?  Any SSDs?  If you've run virus scanner and SFC /scannow and it has found no errors, then I don't know what to tell you.  It's odd that the shell would not even give you the option from the right-click context menu.  In File Explorer,

Have you tried rolling back using a previous restore point?

Here's what I found:

https://www.mkyong.com/computer-tips/windows-10-can-not-create-new-folder/

It contains a registry fix, taken from Microsoft.com

Or here:

http://windowsreport.com/fix-cannot-create-new-folder-windows-10/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, devHead said:

If you have done nothing to the PC but used it normally, and suddenly all the drives are exhibiting the same problem, it sounds like some recently installed software or driver messed up the registry.  How many physical disk drives do you have?  Any SSDs?  If you've run virus scanner and SFC /scannow and it has found no errors, then I don't know what to tell you.  It's odd that the shell would not even give you the option from the right-click context menu.  In File Explorer,

Have you tried rolling back using a previous restore point?

Here's what I found:

https://www.mkyong.com/computer-tips/windows-10-can-not-create-new-folder/

It contains a registry fix, taken from Microsoft.com

Or here:

http://windowsreport.com/fix-cannot-create-new-folder-windows-10/

I was just about to suggest a restore (Y)

16 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So does anyone have any constructive ideas where I should look? Not that installing malware isn't constructive...

Well I did ask a question that was never answered. 

If you have not tried this it might work.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Then run sfc

6 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Well I did ask a question that was never answered. 

I did answer you, I said no

6 hours ago, helpifIcan said:

If you have not tried this it might work.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Then run sfc

I have done that, and SFC came up with a few errors but fixed them upon reboot.

11 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I did answer you, I said no

I have done that, and SFC came up with a few errors but fixed them upon reboot.

Ah I missed that. Have you tried it in Safe Mode?

58 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Ah I missed that. Have you tried it in Safe Mode?

Not yet, I will try that it a few.