Geforce 4s @ CompUSA

I just wanted to share some info about the Geforce4 cards that will be produced. I work at CompUSA and I have been able to fine at least 8 cards made by Visiontek and PNY, 4 cards per manufacturer.

The cards are as follows:

Visiontek:

290229 - Visi XTacy Geforce4 MX 420 PCI - $129.99

289953 - Visi XTacy Geforce4 MX 420 AGP - $99.99

289951 - Visi XTacy Geforce4 MX 440 AGP - $179.99

290230 - Visi XTacy Geforce4 Ti 4400 AGP - $299.99

290231 - Visi XTacy Geforce4 Ti 4600 AGP - $399.99

PNY:

290269 - PNY Geforce4 MX420 PCI - $129.99

290270 - PNY Geforce4 MX420 AGP - $129.99

290154 - PNY Geforce4 MX440 AGP - $179.99

290268 - PNY Geforce4 MX4400 AGP - $299.99

290153 - PNY Geforce4 MX4600 Ti AGP - $30302 ($399.99)

Note a couple things here. For one, the PCI and AGP versions of the MX 420 are different costs on the VISI, but the same higher cost on the PNY.

Also note the cost on the PNY Geforce4 MX4600, that reflects the expected date of arival, 3/3/02 and the retail will be $399.99 as I know from experience.

What's funny is PNY's use of the MX in front of every card number. I think this shows how clueless PNY is, to think that since there are 4 cards with the MX that it must mean that all of the cards are MX

Another thing that is funny is the use of the Viviontek's numbering system (440, 4600), that they had with the Geforce3 cards (6449, whatever), an how PNY has adopted them for the Gef4 cards. I believe this is due to Visiontek being the Nvidia reference board company now.

Anyway, just doing my part.

~Loyal Nvidia fan and CompUSA employee

thanks parthenon...

Dear Loyal Nvidia worker,

This may sound be a bit prejudicial to you but, I would like to know your opinion on video cards. I have been using ATI cards for a long time now, I will be upgrading my system soon, with this in view I was considering NVIDIA cards as opposed to ATI. How does these two compare for games, entertainment and home use, is there a conflict running in Win XP Pro.

just to clarify i work for compusa not nvidia, but i do love nVidia cards especially the visiontek cards due to the fact that they make the reference boards that the other companys base their designs off of. no i have nothing against ATI cards but as a PC tech for compusa, i have witnessed quite a few compatibility issues between ati and certain systems that pass through the tech shop such as systems not powering down or not recognizing ati cards in certain machines agp slots were other cards will. these may be very limited occurances but i can only base my opinion on my experience. I have no problems recommending ati cards to customers when asked my opionion but I still do lean towards nvidia cards because I have had excellent luck in the ones I have installed which is a very high number. I also highly recommend the Gainward cards, the have screamingly fast ram and overclock sky high. I currently use a Visiontek Geforce 2 Ti its a very nice card, the visual clarity 2D and 3D is excellent and I have never had a problem, it overclocks decently not as high as the Gainward cards but it gives me very nice framerates. Before this I had a Visiontek Geforce 2 MX 200 which was quickly replaced by a PNY Geforce2 MX 400 before i settled on my current card. I will probably change out for one of the Geforce 3 ti200 cards soon as the Geforce4MX looks like a really fast geforce2.

heh now i forgot what the initial question was... :p

Wow! your system must be really fantastic. I was checking with Dell Dimension 8200 series with RD Ram of 512, a 21" Dell Trinitron monitor, GeForce 3 64MB card, 20 Gig HD 7200RPM, all bundled with Intel IIII 1.9G. Guess what it comes to 4.356(Can. $) Now this sounds a bit expensive, and so my question to you is since you have built your system by yourself, should I build one ?and would it be any way cheaper? I was eyeing the midnight grey colour of the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc and matching midnight tower. Would you kindly opinionate on this.

it is allot cheaper to built your own comp.

and it is cheaper to buy parts over the web.

compusa is expensive, i only go there to see the products, then order them over the web.

In my experience, building your own computer does not save you much money if any at all - I have built 3 or 4 now using components from online retailers such as dabs.com, ebuyer.com and so on, and I shop around for all the best prices, but I usually save less than 10% over pre-built system prices. Why do I do it? Because (a) I don't trust any manufacturer to use decent components - I've seen P4 1.8GHz processors paired with 128MB PC133 SDRAM for example... (b) it gives me more control of what I actually end up with, and © it's fun!

Just to make this post look a little more on-topic, I'm waiting also for the GeForce4 before buying a new card to replace my Voodoo3 2000 PCI. If the GF4 MX turns out to be too expensive (?100 is my absolute maximum), I'll hopefully take advantage of an out-of-date GF2Ti bargain!;))

Gee! thanks, now I have to take the courage to assemble one, however, my hands and knees are trembling at the thought of putting all the parts. My main concern is with the motherboard, I have heard it will be a toast if I am not carefull. I know it would be difficult to explain all those details here in the forum, but should you time to spare just send an e-mail, I shall be much obliged.

Sincerely,

Peter(purush@rogers.com)