Game gifting is coming to Xbox One soon?

It sounds like this is coming, maybe when the Xbox One X hits the market later this year?

Source

I wonder if this will be for new games only?

Could open the market for a second hand digital market.....

29 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Wouldn't that open person up to some dodgy dealings, someone selling a game they don't plan to send or not spending money on receipt of the game?

30 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

It probably works by you buying a new game as a gift for someone else.  I doubt they'd let you gift a game you already own but if they did, they could limit it to happening only once with the game.  So, gamer 1 gifts old game to gamer 2, gamer 2 can't gift it to anyone else after that.

3 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Wouldn't that open person up to some dodgy dealings, someone selling a game they don't plan to send or not spending money on receipt of the game?

You're right, it would probably need to be properly policed. 

As @George Psaid it's more likely the sending of codes etc

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

You're right, it would probably need to be properly policed. 

As @George Psaid it's more likely the sending of codes etc

To be honest, I'd assumed the same as you but just a simple gifting a game (no money exchanged from an Xbox perspective at least) but now I re-read it does actually talk about new purchases aka buying a game for someone. Whilst I'm sure it will be useful for some, with Gift cards already available I don't see this as a big deal tbh.

8 minutes ago, Skiver said:

To be honest, I'd assumed the same as you but just a simple gifting a game (no money exchanged from an Xbox perspective at least) but now I re-read it does actually talk about new purchases aka buying a game for someone. Whilst I'm sure it will be useful for some, with Gift cards already available I don't see this as a big deal tbh.

I guess it's like buying a gift card from Game vs buying an actual game. Probably a little more personal :p

You're cutting the retailer/card seller, out of the middle this way.  And it works for parents to gift their kids stuff without having to get a card, and use a code.    I figure you start it off as you would a normal game purchase via the website or through the console/Xbox app.  Then as you're getting ready to check out you can pick that this is a gift and it'd ask you for a gamertag and email address.