NAT instance

1 hour ago, Deep_Level_Shark said:

Can anyone please clear this confusion ?

does NAT instance is a separate device ?

Or it comes with Router ?

its usually built into all SOHO and larger routers.

okay ..that means for small routers ..these are not in-built ...right ?  they are separate....good ....  you know  I have seen home routers . e,g DIR D-Link  655 .......but I have not seen any NAT device  so far  ...  how it looks like ?

Can you please post a picture  of  NAT device  only.

18 minutes ago, Deep_Level_Shark said:

okay ..that means for small routers ..these are not in-built ...right ?  they are separate....good ....  you know  I have seen home routers . e,g DIR D-Link  655 .......but I have not seen any NAT device  so far  ...  how it looks like ?

Can you please post a picture  of  NAT device  only.

pretty much any broadband router will have NAT. 

Please define what you think a Nat "instance" is??  Are you talking like on AWS and the difference between an instance and a gateway?

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/vpc-nat-comparison.html

Pretty much every single soho router on the planet would support nat, most likely actually NAPT (network address port translation) as the form of nat.

From your 20$ wifi router to your 300$ one, etc.

Not really understanding why this is in hardware if your question is about how nat works or etc.  Do you have a question about a specific piece of hardware?  If so what is the make and model number of this hardware?  If your asking if there is some device that just NATs?  no there is no such device.. For it to nat, it would also have to "route" so it would be called a "router"

1 minute ago, xbamaris said:

So once again to clarify you're trying to do a cloud private/public network...? Because that's what the picture is showing... not home system...

yes

I think it depends on how you configure the subnet's/security. I don't believe it to be a separate "device". What are you trying to accomplish exactly? That may explain what you need.

1 minute ago, xbamaris said:

I think it depends on how you configure the subnet's/security. I don't believe it to be a separate "device". What are you trying to accomplish exactly? That may explain what you need.

I'm trying to understand that diagram

2 doubts here :

1. Is NAT and Router separate device as shown in diagram 

2. NAT should be on Private side but here shown in public side.

could you please move this thread  to Cloud/ Networking forum ?  this might  be a piece of cake to the networking gurus

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/vpc-nat-comparison.html I found this. I think the "NAT Instance" is a Virtual Machine that acts as a router in between. I'm not sure of its purpose however, other than it being a router for the devices behind it.

Reasoning: https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/vpc-nat-instance/

I dont see anything using diagram you have. Can you post the source of it? Anything I find on a NAT Instance uses this diagram:

nat-instance-diagram.png

31 minutes ago, Deep_Level_Shark said:

could you please move this thread  to Cloud/ Networking forum ?  this might  be a piece of cake to the networking gurus

yep, hopefully our resident networking guru +Budman can assist.....oh wait..... ;) 

From xbamaris image and the OPs your confusing the diagram with a physical item, its not , NAT is a protocol built into a router, or a VM configured to perform NAT, or a firewall etc etc. without it, a "router" couldnt route the traffic across the private and public subnets, without some kind of network address translation.....aka NAT.

30 minutes ago, xbamaris said:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/vpc-nat-comparison.html I found this. I think the "NAT Instance" is a Virtual Machine that acts as a router in between. I'm not sure of its purpose however, other than it being a router for the devices behind it.

Reasoning: https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/vpc-nat-instance/

I dont see anything using diagram you have. Can you post the source of it? Anything I find on a NAT Instance uses this diagram:

nat-instance-diagram.png

Thanks for your time.  I appreciate it. 

I think the "NAT Instance" is a Virtual Machine that acts as a router in between. I'm not sure of its purpose however, other than it being a router for the devices behind it.

yea.  purpose ?  so far  I just knew that NAT's are used to provide internet access to devices inside a private network.  

But  in the above diagram I see some NAT in the public subnet .... making me more confused.  ...   here mystery is  what the heck  "NAT Instance" is doing here.

I dont see anything using diagram you have. Can you post the source of it?

yea...its from the amazon aws cloud docs......but  no matter ...both the image is same in terms of placement of  NAT instance and router.

Once again...thanks for your time and findings.

I already linked to the AWS comparison between a nat instance and gateway.  What is your not grasping?  And no there is no "device" that just does nat in the real network.

There is nothing saying you have to nat from public to rfc1918, you could nat from public to public or from rfc1918 to rfc1918. 

One reason you would use the AWS nat instance is an easy way to allow outbound traffic but prevent inbound traffic.. It is all in their documentation.. Which there would be little reason to post here again.  but here is handy link to the info for both their gateway choice or their instance choice

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/vpc-nat.html