Garden Party Projector

I had a thought while sitting out in my garden the other day. I have a nice square window at the back of my house and if I were to have an afternoon garden party say for a big football match say during the world cup next year for example. Would it be possible to set a projector to rear projection, close all the other curtains in that room and project onto a thin fabric draped over the window? I know I'd need to wire it to speakers outside, that wouldn't be a problem. Has anyone ever done something similar? How many lumens would be required, 3000? 5000? 10,000?  I'm thinking those later brightness' are expensive and not worth it if that's what is required. 

For the England vs Wales game in the Euro's last year, we used one our spare Epson XJ-V1 projectors, set it up in the gym with the thick drapes drawn and allowed our students to watch the match if they wished. The picture quality was good and it was well received all round. I believe the Epson XJ-V1 is a 3000 lumens projector.

26 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

For the England vs Wales game in the Euro's last year, we used one our spare Epson XJ-V1 projectors, set it up in the gym with the thick drapes drawn and allowed our students to watch the match if they wished. The picture quality was good and it was well received all round. I believe the Epson XJ-V1 is a 3000 lumens projector.

2700 :)

You are going to see absolutely nothing in daylight till you hit at least 10,000 lumens and that's likely going to be rear projection.. I am guessing you are looking in the range of a  $5000 projector, + rear projection screen then AV equipment. This is close to a $7500 or $10000 setup.

4 hours ago, xendrome said:

You are going to see absolutely nothing in daylight till you hit at least 10,000 lumens and that's likely going to be rear projection.. I am guessing you are looking in the range of a  $5000 projector, + rear projection screen then AV equipment. This is close to a $7500 or $10000 setup.

see this is my worry, I'm not spending this kind of money for a party. I have a 3000 lumen projector that I can test when I get round to bringing it back from work. I'm thinking if its daytime you'll not see it, but it'll be nice to stand outside. Alternatively if it's dust and the sun is going down people will be moving inside for warmth. I just wasn't sure with it being rear projection in a near black room, whether it would be visible on the other side if the other side was reasonably bright.

5 hours ago, Daedroth said:

yea its for those kind of events, but people will be standing outside rather than inside with the curtains/draps closed.

At work we have a projector like this one~:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD142X-Projector-Viewing-Support/dp/B01JOASEJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499794715&sr=8-1&keywords=optoma

Same make, not quite sure of the model, but it was in the price range of this one.  We can watch stuff with lights left on with no problem.

yea its for those kind of events, but people will be standing outside rather than inside with the curtains/draps closed.

I'd consider using the correct type of screen to project on to, as it makes a hell of a difference.

4 hours ago, Daedroth said:

I'd consider using the correct type of screen to project on to, as it makes a hell of a difference.

Do you have any suggestions? I'd like it to be as close to the glass as possible.

8 hours ago, anthdci said:

Do you have any suggestions? I'd like it to be as close to the glass as possible.

Unfortunately not, the previous school I worked in had one, but they'd had it for a long time, so I don't know the manufacturer or where it was bought from. The one we use now is a front projection screen.

The one the last school had was not too disimilar from this: https://www.avpartsmaster.co.uk/p-51705-celexon-fold-frame-rear-projection.aspx?gclid=CKXGj_yWg9UCFQ0-GwodSE8PQQ#fo_c=1083&fo_k=8298bf3eb6fed9765951e3ca68d07c2d&fo_s=gplauk. I don't know if that was the same one, nor if it was that price...but that's what it looked like.

13 hours ago, anthdci said:

see this is my worry, I'm not spending this kind of money for a party. I

:p Also brave for spending that much for something outdoors in England ;)

57 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

:p Also brave for spending that much for something outdoors in England ;)

The projector would be indoors ;)

19 hours ago, xendrome said:

Utter utter nonsense.  Sorry, we have done what the OP suggested with a cheap crap old projector and it was clearly visible.  

this fearfx halloween projection is what gave me the idea.

basically you drop a really thin fabric over the window and project onto it. Everything is inside the house except speakers. The difference is the halloween one is done in the dark. For a garden party I'd want it in the afternoon. The sun wouldn't be at its highest point in the sky, but it will certainly still be up.

I think the only way of knowing is testing it, I was trying to avoid buying the fabric if it wasn't going to work though. 

12 minutes ago, anthdci said:

this fearfx halloween projection is what gave me the idea.

snip video

basically you drop a really thin fabric over the window and project onto it. Everything is inside the house except speakers. The difference is the halloween one is done in the dark. For a garden party I'd want it in the afternoon. The sun wouldn't be at its highest point in the sky, but it will certainly still be up.

I think the only way of knowing is testing it, I was trying to avoid buying the fabric if it wasn't going to work though. 

You could buy a cheap white sheet from Primark or something. Probably not close enough for a proper projection screen, but should give you an idea.  Or even some muslin cloth from eBay

1 hour ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

The projector would be indoors ;)

Nah it was more about anthdci being brave about being able to have garden parties in the UK given the ever changing weather :D

2 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Utter utter nonsense.  Sorry, we have done what the OP suggested with a cheap crap old projector and it was clearly visible.  

Lol, outside in daylight? Goodluck with that on a standard 1600-3000 lumens unit.

Just now, xendrome said:

Lol, outside in daylight? Goodluck with that on a standard 1600-3000 lumens unit.

The projector and screen with by in the shade inside, you will just be able to see the screen through the window. That's why I'm not sure if it'll be visible with 3000 lumens or not. I'm not putting it all in direct sun.

2 minutes ago, anthdci said:

The projector and screen with by in the shade inside, you will just be able to see the screen through the window. That's why I'm not sure if it'll be visible with 3000 lumens or not. I'm not putting it all in direct sun.

In that case 3000 lumens might work, but how big is this screen, for an 84 inch screen you are going to have to have the projector about 6 feet away to cover the size of the screen. The projector is going to have to be right at the window and the screen way back in the room. Why not look at a 55 inch or 65 inch TV on a portable stand to setup in the window?

15 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Why not look at a 55 inch or 65 inch TV on a portable stand to setup in the window?

because I have a 3000 lumen projector and would just need a cheapish piece of material to hang at the window. a 55-65 inch TV would cost considerably more. It's about £20 vs £800-1000

23 minutes ago, anthdci said:

because I have a 3000 lumen projector and would just need a cheapish piece of material to hang at the window. a 55-65 inch TV would cost considerably more. It's about £20 vs £800-1000

Material isn't going to work properly, you need something with a light backed blocking on the back. You can get a 120" ish screen on Amazon for like $150 USD.. But it still doesn't solve the issue of how far the projector has to be from the screen. If the screen is going to be directly in the window, the projector will need to be outside shooting in through glass, hope your window is wide enough and you are going to have to open it.