HDCP Issue - AMD 7870K

Hi All,

I have an ITX box with an ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ motherboard. It came with an AMD 5300 Dual-Core CPU. I've installed Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate.

I upgraded the CPU to an AMD 7870K but when I try to play a BluRay with this CPU, the HDCP status is disabled.

I've just taken it out and put the 5300 back and the HDCP is enabled / Ok.

Could I have damaged the 7870K when I installed it in the socket to cause the HDCP issue?

I really, really want to use the 7870K as I can see a massive and noticeable system improvement overall using this CPU.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest to ensure it's compatible with that CPU.

Any help / advice?

Are the pins intact on the CPU? Other than ESD, I don't see how you could've damaged it.

What software are you using to play the BluRay?

I would uninstall/reinstall the software to see of that fixes the problem. I know that sounds like a cookie cutter response, but it really can fix things sometimes! 

Edited by slamfire92
  • Like 1

reinstall gpu drivers

amd has horrible drivers when switching hardware, wipe out the old driver and do fresh install.

• Like 2

I did a complete wipe / format / re-install of Windows 7 when I installed the new CPU. I'm using Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 (Ultra).

The pins look ok, but then I can't really tell - they're kinda really tiny! I'm not getting any blue-screens or errors or anything. To paraphrase Pulp Fiction - "aside from how it looks, it's tip top."

I've just done a complete format and fresh install of Windows 10 Pro = the issue remains. I download the latest AMD drivers and the HDCP status is still disabled.

The software I'm using is Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 Ultra. I use the Cyberlink BD Tool to check BluRay playback which tells me that HDCP is disabled.

Any help please?

I did a search online and the only thing I could find (but seems unbelievable) is to ensure that you have installed WHQL drivers to enable HDCP.

I saw your other posts on two other sites and I am pleased to see only Neowin members have bothered to respond so far :D Hope you stick around!

OH btw, I'm not familiar with HDCP, have you tried a different software for Blu-Ray? Could be the Cyberlink program? 

Cyberlinks minimum specs are here https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_EU.html?&r=1 (but it works for your other CPU) :s 

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply :) I'm assuming that if I have somehow damaged the CPU, then it probably wouldn't boot at all, would it? I'd be getting BSODs and errors everywhere?
I've sent support tickets to all three = AMD, ASRock and Cyberlink. I'm also going to check eBay / Gumtree etc to see if anyone has a similar quad-core CPU that they'll let me test. I need to start narrowing things down and work out where the incompatibility is...

Hmm not quite, years ago when I worked at the same building as our co-founder @Redmak I damaged a new AMD CPU (granted this was in the days of 266MHz CPUs) one of the pins on a corner got bent, he cut it off, inserted the CPU and everything still appeared to work, we installed Windows and shipped out the PC! lol

Ah well, that certainly looks like a hardware issue then :(

You should include that screenshot in the support ticket dude. Might help.