Excel double side printing question.

Question

I'm asking this for a friend who just got a new PC and installed Excel 2016. Previously he was using Excel 2007 in his old PC. He claims that in his old PC when printing double side he was able to print his Excel work sheets to be viewed "up and over" when printing double sided. Now he claims with Excel 2016 he can no longer do that, that he can only print double sided to be read like a book, left to right.

He says when he goes to the printer properties in Excel he has 3 choices under double sided printing...non, flip over and flip up. I also have Excel 2016 and when I checked under properties I get different terminology, none, flip long side, flip shot side.

Is this just different terminology or does it mean something else? If anyone has any idea of what I mean I'd appreciate if you would let me know because he is claiming he was able to do this in Excel 2007 but it's not working in Excel 2016, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

I don't believe the terminology has to do with Office at all, I think it has to do with the printer drivers, or the printing software provided in Windows.

In any case, duplex printing (printing on both sides) has basically two ways to do it. Flip on the long side is like a book, when you turn the page, the back of the sheet has its top aligned the same way as the front. Flip on the short side means you will be flipping the page up and that the bottom of the front should be the top of the back.

Think of the 'flip' as where you would put the staples. Flip on the long side is three staples on the long side, it will be bound like a book (assuming two or more pages). Flip on the short side is two staples along the top.

My printers word it like yours does.

You can always duplex print if you know which way your printer prints (it's not always obvious but you can test it by drawing some arrows and whatnot on a paper and printing anything. Print the odds, flip the paper however you like, then print the evens. If the printer offers duplex printing (common with laser, uncommon with inkjet) it should offer both ways, but, I suppose I cannot speak for all printers.

• Like 1

Tell your friend to take a look at their printing preferences. Example below is mine for a Olivetti MFP and it shows the binding positions available.

Hope this helps.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a241730e2024e598cae2cce971818bd4.JPG