What is hanging from this car?

My son sent a picture of his girlfriends car asking me what was the thing hanging from it.  I have no idea and can't get a chance to see it in person.  Any car mavens here have any idea as to what it might be?  Thanks.

20170723_120210.jpg

Bungee cord (especially if it is elastic)?  Why is it there ... no idea.  

Edit:  If it is a used car .... maybe the prior owner rigged something with it...like that plastic undercarriage part. 

Maybe it goes in this hole?

20170723_120210.jpg.9e0bcf3450fd64b47807f9b384716f66.thumb.jpg.d5b371b4edd341392ca8e793434a4afa.jpg

Edit #2 - Zooming in on the image... yea ... a bungee cord which usually isn't stock from the manufacture.  Something has been rigged somewhere.  Doubt it goes in the hole above (seems too close).  Sure it can be removed ... though whatever it was rigged to might come off...haha.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you were looking at a picture and maybe you have issues with your sight but... Your son can't identify a bungee cord by looking right at it? Let me guess, he is under 25 and can't change a tire either...

It is safe to remove it unless the owner needed to hold something with it.

Maybe she was driving on the road and drove over it and the cord was went up and hanging along.   Just like you drive the road where the flying plastic bag went under the car and stuck in somewhere.

10 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you were looking at a picture and maybe you have issues with your sight but... Your son can't identify a bungee cord by looking right at it? Let me guess, he is under 25 and can't change a tire either...

He's 29 and can't change a tire :-).  Seriously though, I have plenty of bungee cords but none of mine look like this one.  What is the plastic looking thing at one end and the metal looking round thing by the hook? 

6 minutes ago, Pork Chopper said:

He's 29 and can't change a tire :-).  Seriously though, I have plenty of bungee cords but none of mine look like this one.  What is the plastic looking thing at one end and the metal looking round thing by the hook? 

Oh bother... Anyway, I don't know what you are talking about as it looks just like a bungee cord. Are you looking at the pic full size and NOT on your phone (or least zoom in)?

I'll have to wait until my son can have a look at it himself.  It could be that his girlfriend took the picture, he didn't say.  He might not have even seen it in person.  So for now I'll wait for a first hand report from him.  Thanks to all.

19 minutes ago, Pork Chopper said:

It's an 18 inch bungee cord ... the ends/hooks come in all different styles.  Both ends look the same ... just one is hooked into the suspension support structure.  As Taz said above...could have simply caught it while driving ... or as others have suggested it was used to rig something.

25 minutes ago, Pork Chopper said:

What is the plastic looking thing at one end and the metal looking round thing by the hook? 

Please tell me this was an attempt at a joke

• Like 3

No joke.  If it was I would have posted it in the Jokes section.  Once more I thank those who gave me their opinion without passing judgement on me or my son's intellectual abilities. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised to find that you didn't know, or have seen a bungee cord before, they're very common and cheap lots of drivers use them in their boots (trunks) to secure small items to a side or a bulkhead, amongst the other applications they are useful for. 

• Like 2

Me: See's thread, thinks "oh I love a good mystery"

Me: Opens thread, looks at embedded thumbnail, thinks "wtf is that"

Me: Click picture to full size, brain processes image in 0.001218 nano seconds... instantly identity of "bungee cord"

Me: :| thinks "trolled......"

Notwithstanding that a 29 year old can't tell a bungee cord and yet maintains a vehicle, I'd question why that bungee is even there?  Has a previous owner done a bodge job of securing something (I use the word "securing" lightly)?