When moving files on my NAS I get a security alert message

This just started happening, but when I try and move a file (in this case an MKV) to another folder on the NAS, I get this error message:

59833e357620f_Securitywarning.thumb.PNG.5db294dc2d86e8ef32fb4b2f9e74f241.PNG

What does this mean and how do I get it to stop? My internet security setting are set to medium.

Clicking on the link does nothing either, so I have no idea what is blocking, or rather attempting to block the file transfer.

IIRC, MKV files are notorious for flaring up Windows Security.

Here's the gis. If you know the file is not harmful in anyway, just OK it.

Here is the group policy to prevent the open file security warning when opening a file

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/918895/the-inclusion-list-for-low-file-types-policy-setting-in-attachment-man

replace powerpoint with mkv 50/50 if it will solve the problem when copying

moving, copy or run a file from where you have download a file has always popped up a warning..  Or grabbing a file from a remote location, same sort of thing.  Unless you have told windows to not do it..

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

That's a weird looking prompt are you running some type of skinning app on the OS? I don't recognize that icon on the top left of the dialog box.

That's what immediately caught my attention, along with remembering the many threads OP has posted with strange Windows issues.

19 minutes ago, BudMan said:

moving, copy or run a file from where you have download a file has always popped up a warning..  Or grabbing a file from a remote location, same sort of thing.  Unless you have told windows to not do it..

Weird, I have never once experienced this "warning" when moving files to or from my nas over LAN, or even over remote. I know for a fact I haven't told windows not to prompt me, and I just confirmed this on a unit straight out of the HP box. I could understand .exe files, but I have never once seen a media file pop up with a security warning like that.

I map my network drives in "This PC". So far since last 6 years I am using this setup, I have never encountered such error.

Few things you could try:

1. Remove that ugly skinning.

2. Make sure those files are not really infected.

3. Make sure Windows UAC setting is at it's default level.

4. Check the ownership of those files. Clear any unnecessary ownership rights.

5. Seriously please remove that skin.

2 minutes ago, d5aqoëp said:

I map my network drives in "This PC". So far since last 6 years I am using this setup, I have never encountered such error.

Few things you could try:

1. Remove that ugly skinning.

2. Make sure those files are not really infected.

3. Make sure Windows UAC setting it at it's default level.

4. Check the ownership of those files. Clear any unnecessary ownership rights.

5. Seriously please remove that skin.

If you map a drive, you won't get this error. This typically occurs when traversing or navigating directly to a remote server using a UNC path, like in explorer.

Which is strange because I don't map my NAS drive on my surface, yet I can grab files by hostname \\myserver\movies through explorer, grab a media file (say an mkv) and copy it to my desktop and open the file with no security warning. This is very strange.

When you have it set to private network and your accessing the same network then normally you would not see such an error, but if your accessing a different network than your local - then yes you could get said warnings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

When you have it set to private network and your accessing the same network then normally you would not see such an error, but if your accessing a different network than your local - then yes you could get said warnings.

Good call, didn't even think about that! Thanks Budman.

This can be triggered all the time - it all depends what you have done in the past or set your files too where they are, etc..  Look at files in your download folder.. See here is a pdf.

blockedfiletypes.thumb.png.b890950ad97e415121a00d8fcae180b2.png

If the user didn't notice it before - maybe he reset his settings or blocked the file type, etc.. There is all kinds of reasons why that might of changed if he wasn't seeing it before, etc.

@xendrome I have window blinds installed as well as Display Fusion.

@BudMan I am aware of the button for unblock, but it is not showing up for these files. Also the files are being moved are on the NAS and being moved to another folder on the NAS.

so you right click on the file and you don't see it marked as possible unsafe?

Go into IE and set that IP or network as trusted.  You prob adjusted your local zone to med-high or high which is why your now seeing the warning.