My 12 year old Dell 2405FPW 24 inch Monitor is alive again!!!!!

In July 2005 I bought the Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW (24 inch Dell LCD monitor) for a whopping $899.25 ...(I really have to stop being on the cutting edge) lol. The monitor worked fantastic up until about 1 1/2 years ago where when you would press the power button but nothing would happen, but then after about 30 seconds, it would turn on. Then last week I switched out computers on my main workstation. Upon hooking it back up it wouldn't turn on at all.

I was then browsing through some old "The 8-Bit Guy" videos. (If you haven't' heard of him or seen his videos go check him out I think you are going to love him)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8uT9cgJorJPWu7ITLGo9Ww

He was showing how to repair LCD monitors. He was saying that a lot of the time it's just some bad caps. So I took my monitor apart before I tossed it and sure enough there were 6 bad caps that had started to bulge.

36568349295_14141aeafc_c.jpg

So I ordered a pack of 20 caps that matched the one the monitor had and soldered them in. 

The monitor now turns on first time every time and is working like a champ! here is to another 12 years of life (one can only hope)

Total repair cost .60 Cents.

Nice job, Warwagon. Take dead monitors from businesses and replace the caps. Then resell them :)

Just a word of caution to anybody that wants to do this sort of thing:  Always discharge the caps before poking around.  Or if you have a DMM, do some quick checks for charge.

The 35V caps in the picture above likely won't hurt you since your skin will insulate you, but that 450V one would hurt like hell if there was some charge on it.

Better safe than sorry. :)

It's a common thing with switchmode power supplies, usually always on the output side. I do tons of TV's and monitors that are such an easy and satisfying fix. The kicker with electrolytic caps is that they don't always need to *look* faulty to actually be faulty, the same with resistors. Resistors change value with age, and electrolytic capacitors change their ESR value which throws everything after them in the circuit out of spec. Uusally you can have a + or - 5 or 10% tolerance, so once they wear past that you start noticing it, especially for TV's and monitors that have their LED's or CCFL tubes driven directly from a feed on the PSU.

The amount of TV's, washing machines and computers I've salvaged and repaired from the local tip and then re-sold is satisfying. I love electronics, and consumer ignorance :)