Web Project - Advice Needed

Question

Hey Guys / Gals,

We have a tool at work that's a giant piece of poop. It's slow, sluggish, contains obsolete code, and the database is bloated with information that's no longer relevant. I'm looking at re-coding this, however I've been informed I need to use a Framework, and to use some Frontend UX Languages.

Framework: I've been told to use Symfony2 or Doctrine. Can anyone suggest reasons to not use these?

UX Framework: I was looking at using ReactJS or AngularJS. Again, can anyone suggest something better or reasons to not use it.

Now, I have a question in regards to databases. I need my database to live in the memory, and to write changes when idle. I'm familiar with MySQL, just not the specific databases. Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out which databases would suit this project?

I'm looking to have this finished before December. I can handle the HTML5/CSS, and portions of PHP. It will be a learning adventure, and that's what I'm in need of. I've grown rather bored of my C++ Adventure, it's become rather cumbersome and uneventful. I'm hoping web programming can spice my life up a little more.

8 answers to this question

I'd run with Ionic Framework (it uses Angular (not to be confused with AngularJS).  You write pretty much everything in Typescript, HTML, SCSS.  We use it for 90% of the dev I do at work. It's nice in that it also leverages cordova if you want to make cross platform apps. It does just fine as a standalone website though.

https://ionicframework.com/

Again, it sells itself for the mobile side but it's definitely more than that.

On 8/21/2017 at 6:44 PM, BinaryData said:

Hey Guys / Gals,

We have a tool at work that's a giant piece of poop. It's slow, sluggish, contains obsolete code, and the database is bloated with information that's no longer relevant. I'm looking at re-coding this, however I've been informed I need to use a Framework, and to use some Frontend UX Languages.

Framework: I've been told to use Symfony2 or Doctrine. Can anyone suggest reasons to not use these?

UX Framework: I was looking at using ReactJS or AngularJS. Again, can anyone suggest something better or reasons to not use it.

Now, I have a question in regards to databases. I need my database to live in the memory, and to write changes when idle. I'm familiar with MySQL, just not the specific databases. Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out which databases would suit this project?

I'm looking to have this finished before December. I can handle the HTML5/CSS, and portions of PHP. It will be a learning adventure, and that's what I'm in need of. I've grown rather bored of my C++ Adventure, it's become rather cumbersome and uneventful. I'm hoping web programming can spice my life up a little more.

So, what did you select and how is your adventure going?

I did some work in React and Angular before and I would not recommend. Just because they are mammoth frameworks and hard to get really good at. Angular moreso than React but still. I especially dislike React's coupling code logic between code logic and presentation and mixing in templates and JSX.I like to keep it as close to decoupled logic as possible.

I've been using a LOT of frameworks and libraries over the course of years PHP, Java, JS etc but these days I simply dumped everything else and am almost exclusively using, wait for it,

- Laravel PHP framework (built on Symfony) (back-end)

- VueJS (front-end)

This is such a beautiful combination I can't even explain to you. Laravel is SO good, especially if you need to write APIs and Vue is SO fast and elegant and easy that you will question everything you have seen previously. How can development be this beautiful. Laravel is as awesome and beautifully designed as Ruby on Rails. Once you understand it's Eloquent model you will NEVER go back to anything else or writing your own SQL queries. I mean it's THAT nice.

There is a reason why VueJS and Laravel have such an unbelievable growth and community support.

I would wholeheartedly recommend both of these. VueJS has beautiful UI stuff, awesome two-way binding and is componentized as well. It takes the best from both React and Angular and is lightning fast and small.

But... it's PHP.

And Facebook has singlehandedly halted the eternal JS "Lib Of The Month Club" with React. Those crazies still pump out a rewrite of everything at the same rate as before but nobody looks at them anymore. Thanks Facebook!

Boz can you tellme why is better laravel vs other frameworks? i already search benchmarking perfomance and is slow in comparison with others, also i make a website (simple but with 100 or 200 visits per day) and in a shared hosting sometimes get slow.

But i see a lot of programmers recommending laravel like a good framework, can you give us some tip or some example for understand why is better laravel?

Thanks !