AMD Equivelant To Intel NUC?

I read this alot in Google, but other than Gigabyte's Brick, I haven't seen an equivelant to Intel's NUC.

As I understand, Razen's do not have an APU. So you need a GPU for it to run graphics.

Have any of you heard anything on this matter?

Considering a NUC is just a small form factor PC, why would AMD make one? AMD would leave that up to other OEMs. I would venture one of the only reasons Intel can put out NUCs is because they also manufacture motherboards, AMD does not. You would just need a mini-itx board, or wait for Ryzen APU. You can, however purchase one based off of the Puma+, http://www.fit-pc.com/web/purchasing/order-fitlet/. I think at this point, AMD is focusing on themselves and attempting to be competitive again in the CPU and GPU space, along with enterprise and server applications. I just don't think there is any reason for them to venture into a NUC competitor, they can leave that for Asus, MSI, Zotac, etc.

But wouldn't they need at least something to counter Intel's NUC? Competition? AMD wouldn't need to make their own boards. Like you said, those other vendors have potential on it.

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

But wouldn't they need at least something to counter Intel's NUC? Competition? AMD wouldn't need to make their own boards. Like you said, those other vendors have potential on it.

Maybe AMD don't think they need to compete in that area? AMD are powering both the current generation Xbox One and PS4, so probably feel resources are better spent in different areas.

NUC's are a more niche market in my opinion, although I did replace all the computers in our workplace with NUC's and think their fantastic. I've not heard of many places doing that though.

19 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Why do they need to compete with a niche market like that? Their resources currently, are spread out in other niche markets. I'd also guess part of the reason Intel NUCs are cheap, is because Intel is manufacturing almost all of the internals; unless AMD received a huge discount from other OEMs they wouldn't be able to be competitive with pricing.

I just think that the idea of the Intel NUC was a good idea. And I thought an AMD alternitive would be a good idea. Apparently, you do not.

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Apparently, you do not.

You really need to quit reading between the lines, you do this so frequently it becomes irritating answer or replying to anything you say. No where did I say it was a bad idea. NUCs are great, I just feel AMD has resources spread in other areas and they find no need for it.

What? I know you didn't say that specifically, but saying that AMD wouldn't make a NUC made it sound that way.

It's the way you say things that irritates me.

58 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Considering a NUC is just a small form factor PC, why would AMD make one? AMD would leave that up to other OEMs. I would venture one of the only reasons Intel can put out NUCs is because they also manufacture motherboards, AMD does not. You would just need a mini-itx board, or wait for Ryzen APU. You can, however purchase one based off of the Puma+, http://www.fit-pc.com/web/purchasing/order-fitlet/. I think at this point, AMD is focusing on themselves and attempting to be competitive again in the CPU and GPU space, along with enterprise and server applications. I just don't think there is any reason for them to venture into a NUC competitor, they can leave that for Asus, MSI, Zotac, etc.

Mini-ITX boards are 17x17cm, NUC boards are 10.6x10.6cm.

That's quite a big difference.

15 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

Mini-ITX boards are 17x17cm, NUC boards are 10.6x10.6cm.

That's quite a big difference.

Very true, I guess I could've been clearer but at this point mATX is about your only option with AMD in order to build a small a unit with off the shelf parts, unless you go with the previous generation APU and a pre-built box.

Very true, but I meant Micro . In the grand scheme of everything, you'd either use Micro or Mini to build a NUC competitor. I also probably confused myself, with ATX and ITX. Its been a while since I have looked into any of these, my fault.

Edited by Circaflex

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Very true, I guess I could've been clearer but at this point mATX is about your only option with AMD in order to build a small a unit with off the shelf parts, unless you go with the previous generation APU and a pre-built box.

A few ITX boards out there too.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625&IsNodeId=1&Description=am4 itx&name=AMD Motherboards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1