PC with Windows 7 boots to Windows 10 Installation window.

My neighbors PC which runs Windows 7 got the hijacked, so he asked me to check it out. I decided to boot into safe mode and run some scans, so when I pressed the F8 key and rebooted, to my surprise instead of booting to Windows 7 safe mode, the Windows 10 splash screen came up and it booted to the Windows 10 installation window. I restarted and the same thing happened. I then did a hard shutdown, and when I turned the PC on again it booted to Windows 7. I then restarted normally and again it booted to the Windows 10 screen and then to the Windows 10 installation window. Did a hard shutdown again and it booted to Windows 7.

What can be going on? I am not getting a dual boot screen at all. Why would it boot to the Windows 10 Installation window and is there anything I can do to make it just boot to Windows 7?

I have not seen that happen, so can't say this would do the trick, but you might try deleting the Windows 10 entry with BCDEdit if that's where it's coming from.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/modifying-the-windows-7-boot-loader-with-the-boot-configuration-data-editor-tool/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...