Is it possible to transfer a Windows 10 license to a new computer?

Hi everyone,

I'm gonna build a new computer soon, This old Core i5 750 is really starting to show its age lately. I own a retail Windows 10 license tied to this PC. New retail license are very expensive. So i wonder can i transfer my Windows 10 license to my new PC or i need to buy a new one? If i can't transfer the windows 10 license to the new PC can i use my retail Windows 7 license i upgraded to this windows 10 license or my windows 7 license is not valid anymore? If i can transfer the license what do i need to do?

Ty all for the help.

You would have to call MS and have them unlock the key and allow it to be used on another machine.  As long as it is not an OEM license.

Or, you can uninstall they key which apparently deactivates it and allows for use on a diff system.  See link below.  Have not tried it myself.  I have always just called MS.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

You should be able to use it, you'll most likely be told to phone a support number which is free, that just asks you to confirm the key is only being used on one computer, once you do that it's then registered to the new computer and removed from the old one. If it's still the same as previous versions of windows, you may be asked to enter a long string of numbers into Windows that is read out on the phone.

Are you sure it's a retail license though? It came in the fancy box?

31 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Are you sure it's a retail license though? It came in the fancy box?

I have a retail boxed full Vista which i upgraded via a retail boxed Windows 7 which i upgraded via a boxed retail windows 8 which i upgraded to 10 via the free upgrade on the store.

Well Windows 10 might not be considered retail since i upgraded it via the store? But Vista, 7 and 8 and all boxed retail version i bought myself in store. Vista is a full version and 7 and 8 upgrade.

38 minutes ago, techbeck said:

You would have to call MS and have them unlock the key and allow it to be used on another machine.  As long as it is not an OEM license.

Or, you can uninstall they key which apparently deactivates it and allows for use on a diff system.  See link below.  Have not tried it myself.  I have always just called MS.

That website says this

If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from which it was derived – can be transferred. But under Microsoft’s rules, you are only entitled to a one time transfer.

Is my upgrade from 7 retail to 10 retail is considered as my one time transfer or it means i can transfer it one time to a new computer? It's not clear.

Edited by LaP

you could use the windows 7 retail key to upgrade to W10 still in digital entitlement, it still works.

or repatriate your retail W10 key also.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/can-i-transfer-windows-10-to-another-computer/3704e5b9-0a43-4d29-9492-0792181a8a44?auth=1

19 hours ago, LaP said:

Is my upgrade from 7 retail to 10 retail is considered as my one time transfer or it means i can transfer it one time to a new computer? It's not clear.

no, the W7 entitlement and the W10 entitlement are 2 different scenarios, they use a different activation system.  Thats why after doing a free "upgrade" to 10 using the 7 entitlement, the retail copy of 7 will activate without issue on a different machine.

think of it as the W7 retail key (if used to qualify for a free 10 upg), just proves your entitled to the new version of Windows.

3 hours ago, Mando said:

no, the W7 entitlement and the W10 entitlement are 2 different scenarios, they use a different activation system.  Thats why after doing a free "upgrade" to 10 using the 7 entitlement, the retail copy of 7 will activate without issue on a different machine.

think of it as the W7 retail key (if used to qualify for a free 10 upg), just proves your entitled to the new version of Windows.

Actually i did a mistake i upgraded windows 8 retail to 10.

It went like this. Bought a full boxed retail copy of vista in a store cause the store was selling them cheap (nobody wanted to buy vista). I then bought a retail boxed upgrade copy of windows 7 in a store to upgrade vista. I then bought a retail boxed upgrade copy of 8 in a store to upgrade 7. Then i upgraded 8 to 10 for free using the "entitlement" program before it ends.

Does the bold part mean i will be able to install vista using the retail disc, upgrade to 7 using the retail disc and upgrade to 8 using the retail disc on my new computer and then upgrade to 10 since i already did the upgrade before the entitlement program ends (providing i call MS to transfer the license to the new computer)?

The link provided seems to imply i'll be able to install windows 10 directly from a disc and then activate it using my 8 license and call ms to complete the activation.

Edited by LaP

1 hour ago, LaP said:

The link provided seems to imply i'll be able to install windows 10 directly from a disc and then activate it using my 8 license and call ms to complete the activation.

kind of, use the Retail 8 licence when installing and it will activate itself when it goes online as part of the upgrade. you dont have to phone MS normally.

You dont need to install previous versions of Windows either.

3 hours ago, LaP said:

It went like this. Bought a full boxed retail copy of vista in a store cause the store was selling them cheap (nobody wanted to buy vista). I then bought a retail boxed upgrade copy of windows 7 in a store to upgrade vista. I then bought a retail boxed upgrade copy of 8 in a store to upgrade 7. Then i upgraded 8 to 10 for free using the "entitlement" program before it ends.

Does the bold part mean i will be able to install vista using the retail disc, upgrade to 7 using the retail disc and upgrade to 8 using the retail disc on my new computer and then upgrade to 10 since i already did the upgrade before the entitlement program ends (providing i call MS to transfer the license to the new computer)?

You can't upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. You have to do a clean install. But you can upgrade from Win 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 and get entitlement. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LaP said:

You are overthinking this by a huge margin!

When the time comes that you actually go ahead with this, Just download the full Win 10 install image from Microsoft. (Probably the Fall Creator's Update ISO)

Install without any key to make sure all is ok and then activate within 30 days with either your Win 7 key or your Win 8 key. 

• Thanks 2