CF card in pcmcia reader shows as IDE/ATAPI Controller in device manager but no drive shows up

i recently put a sandisk pcmcai cf reader in an old laptop but can't get a card to show up as a drive, it just shows at a pcmcia ide/atapi controller in device manager, does anyone know how to get the card to show up? when i look under the details tabe it says the make of card inserted which is laxar, just not sure why the drive doesn't show up?

24 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

i recently put a sandisk pcmcai cf reader in an old laptop but can't get a card to show up as a drive, it just shows at a pcmcia ide/atapi controller in device manager, does anyone know how to get the card to show up? when i look under the details tabe it says the make of card inserted which is laxar, just not sure why the drive doesn't show up?

Were there any drivers or software that needed to be installed, once you installed the pcmcai cf reader? Can you take a screenshot of device manager and post it here?

it's supposed to be plug and play, there's nothing wrong with the card as i just tested it on a usb cf reader it shows up as a new drive in my computer, doesn't appear to compatible with windows 10, as when i formatted and installed 7, two ata channels appeared in device manager and so did the new drive....not sure why 10 failed to install the ata channels.

Hello,

Have you looked to see if device drivers for an older version of Windows are available, force-install them under Windows 10 via Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC), then seeing if you can update them to newer versions via Windows Update?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

i did and search for drivers but came up with nothing, it installed without drivers on windows 7 x64 and worked straight away but on 10 x64 it doesn't detect the cf card as a drive, not device appears in the under device properties on the pcmcia ide atapi controller.

Hello,

SanDisk has manufactured several CompactFlash to PCMCIA adapters.  You may be able to find old Windows drivers on SanDisk's web site by searching on your adapter's model number.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky