Here I go again with card issues.

So I brought this two years ago and it recently started having failures such as weird graphics in games and now hard locking the PC when any game is ran on it. I tested with Furmark on two computers and get the same result. A hard lock with this weird colored graphic each time. Is there someway I can fix this myself? Maybe with new thermal paste or the heat gun trick until I can get a new card? I'm still trying to get Asus to replace this card under warranty, but like many manufactures they like to give people the runaround. I'm currently awaiting an email with instructions where to send the card to. Probably going to have to call them again tomorrow.

How long do graphic cards usually last? I can't seem to get more than 2-3 years out of them before they die. They run 24/7, but aren't under load the entire time.

Don't repair the card if ASUS will take a warranty return.

You have a quality PSU so that's the only think besides overclocking that could reduce the lifetime.

Try doing a serious underclock on the card to see if anything changes.

Everything manufactured anywhere on Planet Earth in high volume factories in 2017 is increasingly computer analyzed to last no longer than the warranty period if it saves a single penny.

We have to factor that new reality into purchase decisions. There is no longer a "free value boost" where devices can just keep on ticking way past the warranty period.

An extreme example of this is Microwave Ovens which often lasted 30 years with brands like Panasonic. People that had that wonderful experience, buy a new Panasonic and it dies in 2 years and they go Super-Angry-WTF, decide the "brand" has gone downhill and buy another brand that also dies in 2 years. If the warranty is 1 year, then it will die around the 1 year point.

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

Don't repair the card if ASUS will take a warranty return.

You have a quality PSU so that's the only think besides overclocking that could reduce the lifetime.

Try doing a serious underclock on the card to see if anything changes.

Everything manufactured anywhere on Planet Earth in high volume factories in 2017 is increasingly computer analyzed to last no longer than the warranty period if it saves a single penny.

We have to factor that new reality into purchase decisions. There is no longer a "free value boost" where devices can just keep on ticking way past the warranty period.

An extreme example of this is Microwave Ovens which often lasted 30 years with brands like Panasonic. People that had that wonderful experience, buy a new Panasonic and it dies in 2 years and they go Super-Angry-WTF, decide the "brand" has gone downhill and buy another brand that also dies in 2 years. If the warranty is 1 year, then it will die around the 1 year point.

AFAIK, this is very very false. Companies do not build it to last only 2-3 years. That would cost them way to much money to do it to 1 million products. That is pretty much a mindset, not actual truth.

Is this true for HDD/SSD, RAM, Motherboard, CPU, etc?

25 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

AFAIK, this is very very false. Companies do not build it to last only 2-3 years. That would cost them way to much money to do it to 1 million products. That is pretty much a mindset, not actual truth.

Is this true for HDD/SSD, RAM, Motherboard, CPU, etc?

It is just a trend that sometimes catches you by surprise because it isn't a "cheap brand" thing any more.

Obviously they calculate a safety margin so the bell curve does not shift inside their warranty.

And they don't (AFAIK) insert parts that are intended to die, they just shave margins a lot thinner than they used to. 

In fact, you have it sort of backwards - on a million products they are incentivized to save every penny they can because the saving multiplies by a million.

For PC parts, we don't tend to run into the problem because we upgrade as new stuff comes out. Except, now, parts are getting so powerful that I think the upgrade cycle is extending out and for the first time we are all hitting past the warranty period. 

And who in this forum is really going to complain too much? Graphics card dies at 2 years? Oh that's so bad... but I really want to try out that new....

Building with cheap parts. Any budget company can do that. And most of these companoies only has a 1yr warranty, or worse...

They don't "make" it so it lasts till end of warranty. All they are doing is cutting corners.

Guys - careful - your tinfoil hats are cutting of the part of your brain that is used for logic and reason.

You are thinking all cards are like the "ones you hear about"

Think of the multitudes of cards that live long lives.  (the ones you dont hear about)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

Guys - careful - your tinfoil hats are cutting of the part of your brain that is used for logic and reason.

Think of the multitudes of cards that live long lives.  (the ones you dont hear about)

My 7 year old Athlon dual core rocking a gt430 agrees

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

My 7 year old Athlon dual core rocking a gt430 agrees

It is 7 years old.

I would make a wager that anything by any brand you buy in 2017 won't last as long.

2 hours ago, T3X4S said:

It is not a conspiracy at all - just economics and much improved software on the manufacturers side to make cost/benefit analysis of this nature like never before.

6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Building with cheap parts. Any budget company can do that. And most of these companoies only has a 1yr warranty, or worse...

They don't "make" it so it lasts till end of warranty. All they are doing is cutting corners.

It's not "cheap parts" - it is the internet of shopping comparisons, large volumes and feature comparisons and endless upgrade cycles that give ZERO value to the vendor to beat his warranty by any huge amount since loyal repeat customers are a vanishing breed.

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It is 7 years old.

I would make a wager that anything by any brand you buy in 2017 won't last as long.

I certainly hope to the contrary, I was hoping to get at least that from my fx6630 rig built last year, (failing a windfall that'll allow me to build my dream rig)

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I certainly hope to the contrary, I was hoping to get at least that from my fx6630 rig built last year, (failing a windfall that'll allow me to build my dream rig)

I would hope to the contrary as well! Or even Wish Upon A Falling Star if it helped.

Recently I did a fair amount of investigation into the overall issue because my Panasonic Microwave busted.

Another disturbing phenomenon is that manufacturing of many items is coalescing into a very small number of factories for any category of consumer item.

It isn't foreign workers displacing manufacturing jobs, it is multi-national robots. Stuff is increasingly getting chunked out with the same insides and just different brand labels slapped on a brand-designed enclosures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

I would hope to the contrary as well! Or even Wish Upon A Falling Star if it helped.

Recently I did a fair amount of investigation into the overall issue because my Panasonic Microwave busted.

Another disturbing phenomenon is that manufacturing of many items is coalescing into a very small number of factories for any category of consumer item.

It isn't foreign workers displacing manufacturing jobs, it is multi-national robots. Stuff is increasingly getting chunked out with the same insides and just different brand labels slapped on a brand-designed enclosures.

The other problem when general appliances is the shift from electromechanical to digital, electro-mechanical stoves last longer than digital stoves for example

• Like 1

On 9/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, xendrome said:

Post on wednesday, abandon thread and never return for help.... :| Was going to ask what PSU also, but probably not coming back.

Sorry for the late reply, busy week. But I finally got Asus to accept the card under warranty after arguing with them over the phone as well as chat about when it was purchased. The photo of the original receipt should have been proof enough, but seems like they were trying to renege. Now we just have to wait and see what happens next after its delivered today. My PSU was in my sig, but here it is.