Windows Server 2016 Standard - CAL question

Hey Guys,

Quick question, if I have say a Windows Server 2016 Standard DC with file shares, and it currently has 100 CALs for users. And I exceed users to 105. Can I just increase the CAL settings to 105 manually like in past versions, while I wait on our Finance Dept to process their PO and paperwork (5-7 days) and things will continue to work? Is the CAL purchase something that is more of a audit in the OS or compliance or is it hard-coded where it will lock out connections?

I don't want to run into an issue where users are unable to access resources when I add some new systems/users next week.

Would it not depend upon your licensing type? Some are annual so you only pay for what you have at the point of renewal, increase as much as you like during the interim period but add them on to your portfolio at renewal?

Yeah this server isn't annual, it has a Standard 2016 License for 2 socketed CPUs and came with 100 CALs at time of purchase through Dell. I suppose I am going to add a 5 or 10 pack of CALs but it takes time to get the quote and process the PO internally etc.

pretty sure you can, however ive not touched 2k16 licencing on molps or the like, it may log it in event logs that CALs are near limit, worse case it starts dropping concurrent connections over the 100, but id doubt it. 

I have an out of office call with some other techs later who will know. Ill ask for you, those guys stateside will know.

im all EAs these days, i miss STD etc

• 4 weeks later...

CALs are usually just paper / documentation, unless you're referring to Remote Desktop CALs which are tracked... so unless you have a third party system that keeps track of this...