Printer Woes - Ghost Paper Jam

This afternoon I've been in am office with a HP LaserJet 500 printer that reports a paper jam every time you try and print.

When you open the paper tray you find nothing. Same when you open up the side. When you close it the error disappears and the printer tries to print again, then reports the same error.

I figured it was the paper pickup roller so I switched it. Same error.

I then thought it was the paper tray, but switching the tray gave the same error.

Now here's the weird bit. I changed the whole printer with another LaserJet 500. After configuring it we tried printing something and it gave the same error! It reported a paper jam when there wasn't one!

It can't be software based as it gives the error regardless of where the job is sent from (Word, Adobe, the printer's "print supplies status"). The desk that is on is sturdy and level, so it's not about the balance of the machine.

I don't get it. Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

This afternoon I've been in am office with a HP LaserJet 500 printer that reports a paper jam every time you try and print.

When you open the paper tray you find nothing. Same when you open up the side. When you close it the error disappears and the printer tries to print again, then reports the same error.

I figured it was the paper pickup roller so I switched it. Same error.

I then thought it was the paper tray, but switching the tray gave the same error.

Now here's the weird bit. I changed the whole printer with another LaserJet 500. After configuring it we tried printing something and it gave the same error! It reported a paper jam when there wasn't one!

It can't be software based as it gives the error regardless of where the job is sent from (Word, Adobe, the printer's "print supplies status"). The desk that is on is sturdy and level, so it's not about the balance of the machine.

I don't get it. Any thoughts?

If you print a config sheet directly from the printer, still an issue?

I know sensors can go bad and will trigger a paper jam.  I also found where the pr inter needed to be taken apart and the jam was hidden and not visible any other way.

Just now, techbeck said:

If you print a config sheet directly from the printer, still an issue?

I know sensors can go bad and will trigger a paper jam.  I also found where the pr inter needed to be taken apart and the jam was hidden and not visible any other way.

Same thing with the config sheet. And the whole printer is changed and it reports the exact same issue.

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Same thing with the config sheet. And the whole printer is changed and it reports the exact same issue.

Ok....try different paper maybe?   Or humidity could cause the paper to stall briefly when being fed and trigger an alert.  Or call someone to service the printer.  I also had issues where labels pealed off during print and those are impossible to remove the adhesive makes the labels stick.  That requires tearing apart the printer.  I would say a fuser issue, but doesnt sound like the paper is getting that far.  And it is possible to have the same issue on a couple devices....I have seen weirder things happen/

Dunno... but is this USB/Network?  Different printers makes me believe this could it be HP software/driver based.  Can you print from another PC?  Jam error before you try to print? Can you print a test page from the printer itself?

1 minute ago, Jim K said:

Dunno... but it's this USB/Network?  Could it be HP software/driver based?  Can you print from another PC?

He printer a config sheet directly from the printer.  So pretty much taken the PC out of the loop here.

I would also look at the toner cartridge.  If you are using the same toner on both printers, try a new cartridge.

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

He printer a config sheet directly from the printer.  So pretty much taken the PC out of the loop here.

I would also look at the toner cartridge.  If you are using the same toner on both printers, try a new cartridge.

Missed that... Probably while I was fumbling trying to type on the phone...haha. 

I don't understand how it could be to do with the paper. It's generic A4 80g/m (if I remember correctly) and no other printer of the same model suffers the issue.

5 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I don't understand how it could be to do with the paper. It's generic A4 80g/m (if I remember correctly) and no other printer of the same model suffers the issue.

You said another printer has the same issue.....?

And if paper gets humid, sheets stick together and then you have to many feeding at once triggering a jam

You said another printer has the same issue.....?

And if paper gets humid, sheets stick together and then you have to many feeding at once triggering a jam

I guess it has to be humidity and/or temperature. It's the only option left.

I'll test the printer I brought back to the lab tomorrow. If it works there and not in the office it's the only cause.

Yes...leaning towards paper especially if the replacement printer is new. If not... Are you all using 3rd party toners? Was the replacement printer working prior to moving it? Did someone receive a fatal paper cut from a printer at that exact location?

Just now, Nick H. said:

I guess it has to be humidity and/or temperature. It's the only option left.

I'll test the printer I brought back to the lab tomorrow. If it works there and not in the office it's the only cause.

Just an option.  Paperjams, could be a number of things.  If nothing else works, may want to call in someone to service/look at the printer.  Could be something deep in the printer.

16 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

not all 80GSM papers are the same mate. 

bag a decent 80GSM Xerox laser paper for example, then costcos 80GSM youll feel the difference.

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

Another cause is humidity -  that can indeed cause paper jams (any plain-paper printer can get whacked with that).  You may actually need a dehumidifier in the room with the printer in it.