New build i7 7820X

48 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Nothing personal, but the last person I would use for hardware recommendation builds.

Source: Based upon past experience/posts on this site

You know, I actually read hardware reviews unlike some of the other users here who make recommendations out of their ***.

I don't see anyone else citing Tom's Hardware, Ars Technica, ExtremeTech and other professional review sites.

Edited by Mockingbird

13 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Any specific reason why that CPU? Just curious. If anything you should get a lower CPU like the 7700K and double the ram to 32GB, you said you were running 2x VMs

I'll be honest, not by your reply, but on overall reply's, it seems there's some negativity with the CPU model, but I don't get it...

It's not some 1000€ CPU, but it's 8 cores so on the future more apps and games will make use of it, it will only get better support!

Ryzen models at this price point doesn't seem to beat it at least on performance overall, so why is there such "questioning"? :)

Please don't start a camp fight, I'm just honestly a little surprised with the reactions :\

9 minutes ago, Digitalfox said:

I'll be honest, not by your reply, but on overall reply's, it seems there's some negativity with the CPU model, but I don't get it...

It's not some 1000€ CPU, but it's 8 cores so on the future more apps and games will make use of it, it will only get better support!

Ryzen models at this price point doesn't seem to beat it at least on performance overall, so why is there such "questioning"? :)

Please don't start a camp fight, I'm just honestly a little surprised with the reactions :\

To be honest, there is really only one person hating on it here. I don’t think Ryzen is necessarily a bad choice but just like Intel, there are quirks to consider. This all really comes down to preference. You have enough info in this thread to make an educated choice.

I myself went with a 7700k and 64GB of ram. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

You know, I actually read hardware reviews unlike some of the other users here who make recommendations out of their ***.

I don't see anyone else citing Tom's Hardware, Ars Technica, ExtremeTech and other professional review sites.

Experience trumps news blogs every time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

So what you are saying is that you have had experience with all these hardware?

That's a lot of hardware and people on these professional review sites review these hardware for a living.

12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

This

What some other user has not worked out is, ANYBODY can read a review from another tech site, and 'claim' they know what they are talking about. Not to mention it is inadvertently plugging rival tech sites, which has been frowned upon in the past.

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

So what you are saying is that you have had experience with all these hardware?

That's a lot of hardware and people on these professional review sites review these hardware for a living.

I've real-life experience with SKylake-X in general. How bout you?

@OP:

Don't let these discussions distract you. Make an educated decision based on what you've read and what you actually want. You are going to get a good system that will do what you need regardless of whether you go with AMD or Intel.

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I've real-life experience with SKylake-X in general. How bout you?

Real life experience with Zen, Broadwell-E, Haswell, Sandy Bridge.

Regardless, you are like someone who claim that you know more about Porsche than someone working for Motor Trend magazine because you drive a Porsche.

Real life experience with Zen, Broadwell-E.

Regardless, you are like someone who claim that you know more about Porsche than someone working for Motor Trend because you drive a Porsche.

... And you just shot yourself in the foot. A reviewer has to review hundreds, if not thousands of products, and more often than not, the review can tend to be nothing more than an opinion. 

Owners and users can offer insight into a product, regardless of what public opinion of a product may be.

Real life experience with Zen, Broadwell-E, Haswell.

Regardless, you are like someone who claim that you know more about Porsche than someone working for Motor Trend magazine because you drive a Porsche.

Motor Trend isn't a blog and backs up their claims. You, not so much.

I'm still waiting on that source from Intel that recommends water cooling.

I'm sorry but your claims are ludicrous. Because I use Skylake-X at work on air cooling without issue, somehow that doesn't count as anything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP can make their own educated decision.

3 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

... And you just shot yourself in the foot. A reviewer has to review hundreds, if not thousands of products, and more often than not, the review can tend to be nothing more than an opinion. 

Owners and users can offer insight into a product, regardless of what public opinion of a product may be.

Everything is an opinion except for hard data.

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Motor Trend isn't a blog and backs up their claims. You, not so much.

I'm still waiting on that source from Intel that recommends water cooling.

I'm sorry but your claims are ludicrous. Because I use Skylake-X at work on air cooling without issue, somehow that doesn't count as anything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP can make their own educated decision.

I cite multiple sources.

I don't recall you citing a single source other that "in my personal experience".

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I cite multiple sources.

Except for uh...Intel, who you claim said it.

Third party sources are a dime a dozen.

I'll be the first to admit my experience in anecdotal. However it clearly isn't unique,

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Except for uh...Intel, who you claim said it.

As I said before, these sources I quoted specifically cite Intel.

Which part of "Where Broadwell-E would work with a high-quality air cooler, Intel recommends liquid cooling for Skylake-X, even for operation at stock speeds." do you not understand?

Third party sources are a dime a dozen.

Third party that gets product samples directly from Intel to conduct reviews.

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

As I said before, these sources I quoted specifically cite Intel.

Which part of "Where Broadwell-E would work with a high-quality air cooler, Intel recommends liquid cooling for Skylake-X, even for operation at stock speeds." do you not understand?

Which part of the below do YOU not understand?

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Source? I would like to see Intel themselves reccomending it. 

They idle at mid to high 30s with the fan at 50%. Sounds like the builder had a clue after all.

Is this more of your “I read it on the Internet therefore it must be true” nonsense? I am giving you real world scenarios. What real world experience do you have with it?

You clearly cannot perform.

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Third party that gets product samples directly from Intel to conduct reviews.

So do resellers.

Which part of the below do YOU not understand?

You clearly cannot perform.

So do resellers.

As I said already, "Intel is not going to say outright, "You need liquid coolers" because it would offend partners that make air coolers (e.g. Noctua), but it's very telling that Intel tells review sites that it recommends using liquid coolers."

You must have reading comprehension problem.

3 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

As I said already, "Intel is not going to say outright, "You need liquid coolers" because it would offend partners that make air coolers (e.g. Noctua), but it's very telling that Intel tells review sites that it recommends using liquid coolers."

You must have reading comprehension problem.

Nope, but you do have a burden of  proof problem. He said, she said is never proof.

Don't claim what you cannot backup.

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Nope, but you do have a burden of  proof problem. He said, she said is never proof.

Don't claim what you cannot backup.

I am not going to bother wasting any more time with you.

You guys need to stop arguing and help the OP, you're being very childish and it doesn't help.

My vote would be for a Ryzen build in all cases except that the OP wants to use VMs, knowing this I'd recommend 4x8GB sticks minimum and I would also recommend good cooling for the Skylake-X processors. This will either need to be a high-end cooling system such as the Noctua fans or a closed-loop water cooling system.

Important to note is that there is very little difference other than the size of the cooling units which may not fit into a case and the cost between Noctua and Corsair AIOs, most benchmarks fail to take into account the time needed for the water loop to stabilise the temperature across the system and the results are very similar, just make sure you're buying the right cooling for the CPU.

11 minutes ago, Alera said:

You guys need to stop arguing and help the OP, you're being very childish and it doesn't help.

My vote would be for a Ryzen build in all cases except that the OP wants to use VMs, knowing this I'd recommend 4x8GB sticks minimum and I would also recommend good cooling for the Skylake-X processors. This will either need to be a high-end cooling system such as the Noctua fans or a closed-loop water cooling system.

Important to note is that there is very little difference other than the size of the cooling units which may not fit into a case and the cost between Noctua and Corsair AIOs, most benchmarks fail to take into account the time needed for the water loop to stabilise the temperature across the system and the results are very similar, just make sure you're buying the right cooling for the CPU.

Oh, VMWare has resolved the issue that ESXi was having with Ryzen.

VMs now work great on Ryzen.

27 minutes ago, Alera said:

Well as I originally pointed out, this CPU the OP wants will run on air cooled. He was being given bad information, so it's a little bit of everyone else's responsibility to point that out so the OP has at least somewhat accurate info.

With that being said, who knows what other false info is being put out.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Well as I originally pointed out, this CPU the OP wants will run on air cooled. He was being given bad information, so it's a little bit of everyone else's responsibility to point that out so the OP has at least somewhat accurate info.

With that being said, who knows what other false info is being put out.

The information is accurate.

Intel recommends liquid cooling for Skylake-X

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

The information is accurate.

Intel recommends liquid cooling for Skylake-X

Intel source? Because I scoured everything, all of their specs, data-sheets, website, FAQ, images of the product box and there is NOWHERE officially from Intel that states this. This is why I would take anything you recommend with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

Just now, xendrome said:

Intel source? Because I scoured everything, all of their specs, data-sheets, website, FAQ and there is NOWHERE officially from Intel that states this. This is why I would take anything you recommend with a grain of salt.

I will put it this way, sites like Ars Technica that get review samples straight from Intel said that Intel recommends liquid cooling for Skylake-X.

And it would be hard to argue that sites like Ars Technica is just "some random blog" which is what adrynalyne like to argue,