Planning a studio build. Are these specs ideal?

Hey, folks!

This coming summer of 2018, I will be receiving a total of 3,000$ dollars to spend, and i have been planning to build an all-purpose in-room studio with this money, and I would like to receive feedback on my current list of parts, as well as any ideas to make the best of the studio's setup under a planned price-cap of 2,500$, since i plan to leave some cash in the bank to draw interest and whatnot.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bnVKvV

bin the motherboard and pick a higher spec one mate, esp if your running i7700k 

Also the setup will happily run on an EVGA 650W GS psu, saving a couple of bucks. My Sig machine with a 1080ti and 6 SSDS runs on a 650W heavily clocked.

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/ROG-STRIX-B250G-GAMING-Motherboard/dp/B071XP8Y78/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507284475&sr=1-11&keywords=strix+motherboard

the strix range have a slightly better SNR on their sound cards, over vanilla codecs on most boards.

id also replace your Samsung 123Gb SSD with an M2 NVMe SSD if you went to the above motherboard, it supports 2 M2 sockets.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E1T0BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507286987&sr=1-1&keywords=evo%2Bnvme&th=1

You don't say what software you are using but most DAW's are multithreaded to some degree though having high single thread performance is still paramount. Saying that I would still be inclined to get more than a quad core CPU. I would also get at least a 240gb SSD. They fill up pretty quick and you do want to install all your programs on it. 

I presume you will be doing some gaming with a 1080 because if not then it will be overkill for a studio.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($298.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler  ($59.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($183.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($148.55 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($233.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: *Hitachi - Deskstar 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($524.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair - CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.28 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Corsair - CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.28 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: *AOC - G2460VQ6 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($149.98 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Redragon - K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($30.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Mount-It! MI-753 Triple Screen LCD Computer Monitor Desk Mount Stand Arm for 19, 20, 22, 23, 24 Inch Monitors VESA 75 and 100 Compatible Full Motion, Tilt, Swivel, Rotate, 66 lbs Capacity, Black  ($64.14 @ Amazon) 
Other: Sean XXL Professional Large Mouse Pat & Computer Game Mouse Mat (35.43''W x 11.81H x 0.12TH) (Black&Red)  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Antec Advance Accent Lighting Red USB-powered 6 LED Strip  ($9.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: GTracing Ergonomic PU Leather Office Chair Racing Chair Backrest and Seat Height Adjustment Computer Chair With Pillows Recliner Swivel Rocker Tilt E-sports Chair (Black/Red) 
Total: $2292.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-08 02:54 EDT-0400

Edited by Mockingbird

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, SirWeathers said:

Hey, folks!

This coming summer of 2018, I will be receiving a total of 3,000$ dollars to spend, and i have been planning to build an all-purpose in-room studio with this money, and I would like to receive feedback on my current list of parts, as well as any ideas to make the best of the studio's setup under a planned price-cap of 2,500$, since i plan to leave some cash in the bank to draw interest and whatnot.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bnVKvV

isn't the 8700K coming out?  TechReport just reviewed it.

22 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

isn't the 8700K coming out?  TechReport just reviewed it.

It's a paper launch. People are literally driving to different states just to buy one.

There won't be much stock until January 2018.

Then Zen+ launches in February 2018.

13 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

It's a paper launch. People are literally driving to different states just to buy one.

I'm a Zen fan myself but depending on what they do with it it's not always the best option (TR claims it's curiously bad at digital audio production stuff IIRC.)

I'd just say, if you're spending that much money anyway might as well wait for the newest stuff.

15 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

I'm a Zen fan myself but depending on what they do with it it's not always the best option (TR claims it's curiously bad at digital audio production stuff IIRC.)

I'd just say, if you're spending that much money anyway might as well wait for the newest stuff.

You'll always be waiting for the newest stuff then...

What software? That's the important part. If you're going to use multi-threaded programs, then I don't think a 7700K is the proper choice, specially right now. Not to mention that a 7700K won't have any upgrade options.

If you mostly and mainly run MT tasks, get a 1700X. If your tasks are going to be mainly single thread performance dependent, with a mix of multi-threaded tasks, then get an 8700K or if no OC is planned, a cheaper 8700 non-K.

13 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Well he said he's getting the money in summer of 2018... with that in mind this thread is kind of premature it feels like. Parts & prices will be completely different in 8 months.

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You'll always be waiting for the newest stuff then...

I dunno man I waited for Zen and only had to wait a month or two.  "Always" seems like a huge stretch...there's often nothing new coming that quickly.

22 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

I dunno man I waited for Zen and only had to wait a month or two.  "Always" seems like a huge stretch...there's often nothing new coming that quickly.

Well, you wait for Zen. Then ABC is coming out in a few months! Then, oh, XYZ is coming out in a few months! If you keep wanting the new thing, you will never satisfy yourself.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, you wait for Zen. Then ABC is coming out in a few months! Then, oh, XYZ is coming out in a few months! If you keep wanting the new thing, you will never satisfy yourself.

Except, when Zen came out, there was nothing new coming out in a few months.

5 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

Except, when Zen came out, there was nothing new coming out in a few months.

Yeah, well, spread that out a few quarters, then. Buy whatever is hot now.

Well, the problem is "summer of 2018" ... so ideal specs now probably will not be ideal specs next summer.  The 8th gen Intel's will be in stock ... Zen2 maybe ... nVidia Volta (2000 series) maybe?  

So really ... the case and the chair in the OP seems like good picks.  Other than that ... too early to tell ... maybe ask next summer?  :)