Linux project with my son

My son and I would like to create a dial-up server for him to use while he is at his mother's house. This server would give him access to my cable modem to connect to the internet. He and I are new to GNU/Linux and would like to use this project to become more familiar with the O/S and the software available. He has RH9 on his system and I just installed MEPIS on my dual boot system. Any suggestions for research and suggestions for software would be very helpful. We have an old system (Duron 1100) we would like to use for this project. My network already has a router for acces to the cable modem. Thanks

Interesting project!

I remember reading about doing something like this (I am pretty sure it is in one of my books at home), but don't recall what needs to be done.

Perhaps iptables???

Did you try to google an answer?

Thanks for the replies. I have googled this thing to death and have read some info on mgetty, but the docs are cryptic to say the least. I'm sure this is not an original idea and was hoping to get pointed to a howto or someone else's project page. I'm still hunting and searching and hope to get a better idea as time goes.

This sounds like a very interesting project, but wouldn't it be easier for him to use a dialup ISP? Then he would be able to use the internet without tying up your phone line, and his connection would probably be faster.

This sounds like a very interesting project, but wouldn't it be easier for him to use a dialup ISP? Then he would be able to use the internet without tying up your phone line, and his connection would probably be faster.

It's possible that:

a) he lives out where there is no local dial-up ISP (or no Linux-friendly ones)

or

b) this is just a 'fun project' to learn about the workings of Linux.

Thanks for the replies. To answer the last post, from all I have read, the conx will be slower than 56k, but my son wants to see if we can do it. So off we go. The links above have been very helpful. I have also found another link. freesco.org (hope I did that right). I'll keep posting as the project continues and as more info is found. :D

Actually I used to do that locally in order to connect my Dreamcast console to the internet. I would hook up the DC modem adapter to my Linux box modem, and force a handshake. The rest would flow from there, following the pppd how to.

I also do this in order to connect my Linux powered iPaq to my computer.

Sweet stuff really. However remember that a 56k modem upstreams at 33.6k ^_^