which TV is better? samsung or toshiba?

medhunter

After searching, I liked both these models with the same price around 375 USD

Toshiba 49U7750EE 

samsung UA40KU7000RXUM

My first priority is not screen size rather than the quality, specially of text display of my HDMI plugged laptop.

which would you recommend?

The Evil Overlord

Trouble is, you're comparing a 49 inch with a 40, on identical screen size, there are arguments for both as a positive, I myself, prefer Panasonic,

For the sake of your scenario, I find myself leaning a little more towards the Sammy, as in the past, less than 2k and 2k tv screens used as a monitor or second screen usually blurs edges, so in theory the smaller screen would be less noticeable....
I've not tried a 4k tv as a monitor, so cannot say for sure though, so I would recommend waiting for another opinion

(At the very least, I'll hope to generate some traffic towards this thread, to help out)

Mando

id say the sammy also. 

4K tvs are ok for occasional use of pc input but not all the time. Fine for using when gaming etc.

medhunter

why occasional use?

I have xbox 360, think no 4!!!!! PC, neither.

If there is no difference between 4K, FHD, then no need to invest more money

• 9 months later...
PGHammer
On 10/14/2017 at 7:13 PM, medhunter said:

why occasional use?

I have xbox 360, think no 4!!!!! PC, neither.

If there is no difference between 4K, FHD, then no need to invest more money

In my case, the PC doesn't figure, either (for the reason that it can't drive a 4K display).  It CAN drive a 1080p display (which it does by default) - and naturally a 4K display can drop to 1080p if properly designed  - which is the case for both candidates).  Here are the features that are of importance, in no particular order.

1.  HDR support is mandatory for at least one HDMI input.

2.  4K is also mandatory for the input that supports HDR.  (The reason why is because while I don't own a console currently, I don't plan on staying console-free.)

3.  Support for multiple HDMI inputs is a must. (No TV in the house supports fewer than two HDMI inputs - and most support three; why should I take it on the chin today?)

For those reasons, the finals are down to Samsung's 40" M6 AND M7 series (depending on local sales) and the new Toshiba 43" FireTV Edition (the Toshiba has the larger screen size and the Fire interface that I prefer, along with checking all the checkboxes - and at a lower price tag than even the 40" Samsung M6, let alone the occaisional 40" M7 on sale).

Mindovermaster
1 hour ago, PGHammer said:

In my case, the PC doesn't figure, either (for the reason that it can't drive a 4K display).  It CAN drive a 1080p display (which it does by default) - and naturally a 4K display can drop to 1080p if properly designed  - which is the case for both candidates).  Here are the features that are of importance, in no particular order.

1.  HDR support is mandatory for at least one HDMI input.

2.  4K is also mandatory for the input that supports HDR.  (The reason why is because while I don't own a console currently, I don't plan on staying console-free.)

3.  Support for multiple HDMI inputs is a must. (No TV in the house supports fewer than two HDMI inputs - and most support three; why should I take it on the chin today?)

For those reasons, the finals are down to Samsung's 40" M6 AND M7 series (depending on local sales) and the new Toshiba 43" FireTV Edition (the Toshiba has the larger screen size and the Fire interface that I prefer, along with checking all the checkboxes - and at a lower price tag than even the 40" Samsung M6, let alone the occaisional 40" M7 on sale).

Um, you know this a year-old thread, right? OP hasnt replied since then. So I take he made up his mind.

fusi0n
21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Um, you know this a year-old thread, right? OP hasnt replied since then. So I take he made up his mind.

You never know man.. it took me three years.. lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Apple Music TV brings a 24-hour music video streaming service for free in the U.S.
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple today launched ‘Apple Music TV’, a new 24-hour free music streaming service in the U.S. that serves up a constant stream of music videos and other related content such as “exclusive new music videos and premieres, special curated music video blocks, and live shows and events as well as chart countdowns and guests”. The service is being made available on the Apple Music and Apple TV apps.

Apple Music TV can be found in the Browse tab of the apps and premiered this morning with the top 100 songs streamed in the U.S. on Apple Music. The platform also serves as a launchpad for new content. On October 22, the service will stream a celebration of Bruce Springsteen's “Letter to You” album that includes an interview by Zane Lowe, Apple Music’s radio station anchor, and “a special livestream fan event”.

On Friday, October 23, there will be two new “exclusive video premieres” at 9 AM PT that include Joji’s “777” and Saint Jhn’s “Gorgeous”. The company adds that the channel will premier new videos every Friday during that time.

The firm also says in the announcement that its original content like concert films, interviews, and documentaries will also "have a home on Apple Music TV”. The service looks to be aimed at rivals such as YouTube and Vevo. It will be interesting to see how the Cupertino giant expands Apple Music TV and what other content makes it to the platform.

Source: Variety

• By zikalify
      TrendForce: Third quarter saw record TV shipments globally
      by Paul Hill

TrendForce has announced that TV shipments reached historical highs in the third quarter thanks to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The analyst estimates that shipments hit 62.05 million units in 3Q20 which was 38.8% above 2Q20 and a 12.9% increase on 3Q19.

The upswing in shipments has been put down to a 20% increase in TV demand in North America and because TV brands deferred shipment schedules in 1H20 due to the pandemic; this led to more shipments in the third quarter and the trend looks like to continue into the next quarter. With demand expected to be high in the new few months, TrendForce expects panel prices to increase too.

In 4Q20, TrendForce believes that shipments will rise by 4% compared to 3Q20, reaching a total of 64.53 million units. It said that the total yearly shipments for 2020 will hit 216.09 million units which represents a decrease of 0.8% compared to 2019.

In its analysis, TrendForce took particular note of TCL which it said had benefited from the situation this year:

With regards to panel prices, TrendForce said that 3Q20 saw 32-inch HD panels increase in price by more than 50% compared to the last quarter while 55-inch UHD panels saw a 41% increase over the same period. It said this trend will continue into 4Q20. Despite panel prices increasing, TrendForce expects the average retail price of TV’s in North America to drop 3-5% compared to 2019 because TV brands are willing to forego profits in order to reach their targets and increase their market shares.

• By zikalify
      Old TV in Welsh village behind broadband outages
      by Paul Hill

BT Openreach has revealed that an old television set being used in Aberhosan in Powys, Wales was causing the entire village to lose its broadband connectivity every morning at 7 A.M. The outages were caused by electrical interference being emitted from the TV. Luckily for residents in the area, the TV owner has agreed to stop using it.

Openreach engineers initially tried installing new cable to try and fix the issue, unfortunately, this didn’t work. After 18 months of trying to solve the problem, the engineers finally found the source of the problem by using a monitoring device called a spectrum analyser.

Commenting, Michael Jones, an engineer at Openreach, said:

The TV was found to be emitting a single high-level impulse noise (SHINE), and since the TV has been left off, the problem has gone away entirely. Openreach said a variety of electrical devices can cause interference and impact broadband connections. It recommends that all electrical appliances are properly certified and meet current British standards. Openreach also said that if you have a fault with equipment, report it to your service provider right away.

Source: BBC News

• By zikalify
      Samsung could close its Tianjin TV manufacturing plant
      by Paul Hill

A report from South Korea’s Yonhap news agency suggests that Samsung is looking to close its TV manufacturing plant in Tianjin, China. The report cited sources who claimed that the firm is trying to boost efficiency in its supply chain management.

The plant’s closure could come as soon as November and 300 workers could find themselves out of work. The closure is part of a larger trend for Samsung which has been shutting plants across the country in recent years as it looks to cut costs.

Back in 2018, Samsung closed its smartphone factory in Tianjin and a plant in Huizhou last year. In July, the firm said it’s also going to stop production at its PC-manufacturing plant in Suzhou. According to Yonhap, the firm currently has a home appliance plant operating in Suzhou and a chip factory in Xian.

While the sources speaking to Yonhap cite efficiency reasons for the imminent closure of the factory, they didn’t give specific reasons. The 2018 smartphone factory closure in Tianjin was due to falling smartphone sales and increasing labour costs.

The latter of those is highly likely to be one of the reasons for the TV factory closure too. In terms of TV sales, Samsung was reportedly doing well in the second quarter but actual sales declined slightly compared to the same period in 2019. These two reasons are likely behind Samsung’s upcoming factory closure.

• By Namerah S
      Xiaomi announces Master TV with OLED display in China
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Chinese electronics giant Xiaomi has announced a new entrant to its line of smart TVs in China called the Master TV. It sports a massive 65-inch 4K OLED display, which is a first for the company as none of its other television sets have ever had one. The announcement was made via the Chinese social media platform Weibo along with the launch date.

The promotional poster revealed today disclosed detailed information and the price of the upcoming Xiaomi product (in Chinese), as seen below. At the same time, the Master TV's official page has also gone live on Xiaomi's website, with a comprehensive list of its features and specifications.

Aside from the aforementioned 4K OLED panel and screen size of 65-inches, the newest member of the Mi TV family will also have a 120Hz refresh rate, an HDMI 2.1 port, Dolby Atmos speakers, 3D panoramic sound and a response time of 1ms for gaming. The television's display will feature 98.5% coverage of the DCI-P3 color gamut.

Xiaomi's Master TV will be powered by the quad-core Cortex A73 and the Mali-G52 MC1 GPU. As for the OS, it will run MIUI for TV and support connection with the Xiaomi AIoT ecosystem. Other features include WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, and other standard smart TV features such as USB ports and a mic.

Moving on to the price, the Chinese tech company has assigned its latest smart TV a price tag of ¥12,999 (~$1839). The Master TV is scheduled to launch at 10:00 AM CST tomorrow morning on July 3, 2020. As of right now, it is not known whether the upcoming member of the Mi TV family will be available in other markets or not. It is probable that this will become clear in the future.