Is there a way to prevent certain numbers from being dialed?


Recommended Posts

+jnelsoninjax

Basically I need to prevent someone from dialing a specific phone number (it is not international) I have blocked the number from calling, but it can still be dialed and I would like to prevent that from happening. The phone is an LG K7. Before anyone says anything negative about my request, let me assure you that I have repeatedly asked the person whose phone I am dealing with to not contact the individual and they continue to do so regardless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon

 

Unless they are your child and under the age of 18 using a phone you have purchased or an elder who you have guardianship over, can't they call whoever they want? Regardless if you don't want them too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
6 hours ago, warwagon said:

 

Unless they are your child and under the age of 18 using a phone you have purchased or an elder who you have guardianship over, can't they call whoever they want? Regardless if you don't want them too?

In this situation it is my child (16) and I purchased the phone, so yes I do have the right to.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+NJ Louch

What phone is it?  I'm sure some have blacklist options?

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
53 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

What phone is it?  I'm sure some have blacklist options?

LG K7, it has a blacklist to prevent the incoming call, but not the outgoing, which is what I am looking to do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Buttus

maybe call your cellphone carrier?  maybe they can block a phone number from going out.  maybe it'll dial but get a block message like when you dial a disconnected number?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
14 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

 

Basically I need to prevent someone from dialing a specific phone number (it is not international) I have blocked the number from calling, but it can still be dialed and I would like to prevent that from happening. The phone is an LG K7. Before anyone says anything negative about my request, let me assure you that I have repeatedly asked the person whose phone I am dealing with to not contact the individual and they continue to do so regardless.

 

Webroot Security (Webroot anywhere) for Android has the ability to block numbers for calls and SMS (inbound/outbound). You can lock down the menu of blocked numbers iirc. its secure web browsing its pretty neat also, uses the bigger WR platforms site blacklists/whitelists. If you have the paid for version, along with your computers using the same product, you can then manage all aspects on the web portal for your account.

 

Could be a more tactful way to enroll the outbdound call blocking, under the impression your making the device and web surfing safe and suitable for a minor ;) 

 

https://mobile.webroot.com/help/call_sms_blocking.htm

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
2 hours ago, Mando said:

Webroot Security (Webroot anywhere) for Android has the ability to block numbers for calls and SMS (inbound/outbound). You can lock down the menu of blocked numbers iirc. its secure web browsing its pretty neat also, uses the bigger WR platforms site blacklists/whitelists. If you have the paid for version, along with your computers using the same product, you can then manage all aspects on the web portal for your account.

 

Could be a more tactful way to enroll the outbdound call blocking, under the impression your making the device and web surfing safe and suitable for a minor ;) 

 

https://mobile.webroot.com/help/call_sms_blocking.htm

Thanks Mando, I'll look into that, I have a key for the PC version of Webroot, would it work on the mobile as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks Mando, I'll look into that, I have a key for the PC version of Webroot, would it work on the mobile as well?

nah, but if you have an existing account with them, you can buy the paid for upgrade. I think the android paid offering can be a part of the complete package though. the internet Anywhere plus package iirc. I have the 5 device AV anywhere package. The free android app has the features you are looking for however.

 

https://www.webroot.com/gb/en/home/sem/brand?rc=5340&sc=701F0000000etVr&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-yylb7y1gIV1hXTCh2pdAPaEAAYASAAEgJZ5vD_BwE

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
3 minutes ago, Mando said:

nah, but if you have an existing account with them, you can buy the paid for upgrade. I think the android paid offering can be a part of the complete package though. the internet Anywhere plus package iirc. I have the 5 device AV anywhere package. The free android app has the features you are looking for however.

 

https://www.webroot.com/gb/en/home/sem/brand?rc=5340&sc=701F0000000etVr&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-yylb7y1gIV1hXTCh2pdAPaEAAYASAAEgJZ5vD_BwE

Perfect, this would be much easier then using a program that's named outgoing call blocker! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

Perfect, this would be much easier then using a program that's named outgoing call blocker! :D

yep with the added benefit of malicious sites being blocked etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
7 minutes ago, Mando said:

yep with the added benefit of malicious sites being blocked etc. 

One other question: When I install Webroot, is there anything preventing it from simply being uninstalled from the app manager?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

One other question: When I install Webroot, is there anything preventing it from simply being uninstalled from the app manager?

hmm sadly not, no.

 

It can be uninstalled like any other app, to contorl stuff like that, you would need to deploy some kind of MDM software (http://uk.pcmag.com/cloud-services/76018/guide/the-best-mobile-device-management-mdm-solutions-of-2017)

 

Cant think of any that are consumer orientated tbh, mostly enterprise.

 

**EDIT** You can force the android app to request your "my webroot" password. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
Just now, Mando said:

hmm sadly not, no.

 

It can be uninstalled like any other app, to contorl stuff like that, you would need to deploy some kind of MDM software (http://uk.pcmag.com/cloud-services/76018/guide/the-best-mobile-device-management-mdm-solutions-of-2017)

 

Cant think of any that are consumer orientated tbh, mostly enterprise.

Well I did find an app called AppLock in the play store, I may just have to use it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Well I did find an app called AppLock in the play store, I may just have to use it.

see post above mate, i was mistaken, if its controlled via the web portal on your account, you can force it to request your webroot password to uninstall. if you just use the free one, it doesnt have a "my webroot" password.

 

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Mobile-Security-for/Device-Administrator-amp-Uninstalling-Webroot-for-Android/ta-p/18412

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
1 minute ago, Mando said:

Perfect! Thanks for the assistance @mando! You can go back to your Scotch now! :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

Perfect! Thanks for the assistance @mando! You can go back to your Scotch now! :D

nps, your welcome matey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
PsYcHoKiLLa
16 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

 

Basically I need to prevent someone from dialing a specific phone number (it is not international) I have blocked the number from calling, but it can still be dialed and I would like to prevent that from happening. The phone is an LG K7. Before anyone says anything negative about my request, let me assure you that I have repeatedly asked the person whose phone I am dealing with to not contact the individual and they continue to do so regardless.

 

"let me assure you that I have repeatedly asked the person whose phone I am dealing with to not contact the individual and they continue to do so regardless."

Yeah but that's not really your place, or anyone else's for that matter, to decide now, is it?

Unless you're a parent/guardian and it's a premium number you're paying for, which you could just ask the provider to block, I'm guessing that's not the case though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
Just now, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

"let me assure you that I have repeatedly asked the person whose phone I am dealing with to not contact the individual and they continue to do so regardless."

Yeah but that's not really your place, or anyone else's for that matter, to decide now, is it?

When it is my child, yes it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
4 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

"let me assure you that I have repeatedly asked the person whose phone I am dealing with to not contact the individual and they continue to do so regardless."

Yeah but that's not really your place, or anyone else's for that matter, to decide now, is it?

Unless you're a parent/guardian and it's a premium number you're paying for, which you could just ask the provider to block, I'm guessing that's not the case though.

hes their dad so yes he has the right, its listed in his second post buddy.

10 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

In this situation it is my child (16) and I purchased the phone, so yes I do have the right to.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
dimz01

I remember reading something aboujt supervised Google accounts on Chromebooks, maybe it applies in your case?

 

You could also combine Webroot with Android's existing parental controls, in an effort to control app's on your child's phone,

to prevent efforts to circumvent limitations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
5 minutes ago, dimz01 said:

I remember reading something aboujt supervised Google accounts on Chromebooks, maybe it applies in your case?

It appears to be only apply to Chromebooks, not android phones, but thanks for the suggestion!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.